10 reasons why the Bible can be trusted

So Jesus allowed YOU to eavesdrop on what He told Steve to do?
It is in the Bible.

Luke 12:32 ‘Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. 33 Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. 34 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Or do you think Jesus gives everyone their own set of commands to observe? Some have to give away their possessions, but we can just pretend that that does not apply to me, because, well, I like owning stuff.

That is what Jesus says. John 14:20-24, specifically vs 23.
His brother, James, says that if you don't do what Jesus says, you're only deceiving yourself. James 1:20-25
So do what Jesus said. Sell your possessions and give your money to the poor.

Granted, had you actually read the Bible for the purpose of learning and understanding, you'd have seen this for yourself.
Still waiting for you to what you tell others to do and follow Jesus' command...

you don't believe.... and this then is the only real problem.
you
don't
Believe....
Right. I do not believe you have sold your possessions and given your money to the poor.

Thats a you problem.
your unbelief only guarantees that you will perish.
Your unbelief excludes you from ever gaining any actual evidence, understanding, wisdom, awareness, or experience.
Then convince me you have sold your possessions and given your money to the poor.

So, you can indeed continue to not believe anything I say. It's your life and that means that you and you alone get to live with the consequences for your choices, regardless of why you made those choices.
Just as you will live with the consequences of not following Jesus' command to sell your possessions and give your money to the poor. And to pretend that you have.

If you have actual evidence of their hypocrisy.
You telling me to follow Jesus' commands, but failing to do so yourself.

You however only have your belief.
You, like the other atheists here have repeatedly rejected my long standing invitation to visit me, so you have excluded yourself from actually getting evidence of my life.
To visit you? At that nice house that you own? Full of your nice possessions?

Don addresses them just fine. Why do you need me to absolve him for his ideas?
I want you to pick one so we can discuss it.

And to show you actually watched the videos.

So, you're just whining because I think you're intelligent enough to understand my thoughts?
Your thoughts?

The guy who is finding any way he can to avoid discussing the topic of his own thread?

Not the topic you're ignoring.
Read the title. The title you wrote. That is the topic of the thread.

What's to discuss?
Whether the Bible can be trusted.

Again, read the title of the thread.

You refuse to do what Jesus says.
It's not possible to actually gain first hand practical experience without doing it.
granted, I'm guessing that you're like MarkUK. He only wanted to know God exists, without actually meeting Jesus.
I found myself wondering why he had missed the point.
So, if this is all you want, everyone who follows Jesus, on this forum and has posted on the atheist forum has already told you that God exists.
If you don't want to actually meet Jesus, then nothing here is going to change your mind.
The topic of the thread is whether we can trust the Bible.

There's been plenty.
Since however you continue to say that your belief is more important than the truth, I'm thinking that you don't actually want to know the truth, and are content with your beliefs.

See.... nothing rational about your biases and beliefs.

Further demonstrating that you don't actually care for rational discussion.
Still nothing about whether we can trust the Bible.

It is in the Bible.

Or do you think Jesus gives everyone their own set of commands to observe?

If you'd ever pick up a Bible and read it, instead of mouthing off self righteously about what you THINK it says, you would know that Jesus gave believers only two COMMANDMENTS:

Matthew 22:37-39 KJV

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

But let's look at the verse that you're wagging your nyah-nyah finger at Steve about:

"Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys."

Now just a tiny bit of intelligent reflection on your part should tell you that He didn't mean "sell ALL of your possessions," from the fact that He didn't say "all." And did He command Peter to sell his sword? Did He chew out his disciples for possessing loaves of bread which He ended up multiplying? Did He chastise Zacchaeus for only paying back 4 times what he cheated people on instead of giving away everything? I somehow doubt that you are familiar enough with the details of Steve's personal life to know whether or not he ever sold a car or a house and if so, refused to use any of the income for charitable purposes. You are without a doubt the most self righteous atheist I have ever encountered. You make Jerry Falwell look like a libertine.

Last edited:
If you'd ever pick up a Bible and read it, instead of mouthing off self righteously about what you THINK it says, you would know that Jesus gave believers only two COMMANDMENTS:

Matthew 22:37-39 KJV

Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Interesting you are not quoting the second command.
Is that because you fail to observe that one too?
But let's look at the verse that you're wagging your nyah-nyah finger at Steve about:

"Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys."

Now just a tiny bit of intelligent reflection on your part should tell you that He didn't mean "sell ALL of your possessions," from the fact that He didn't say "all." And did He command Peter to sell his sword? Did He chew out his disciples for possessing loaves of bread which He ended up multiplying? Did He chastise Zacchaeus for only paying back 4 times what he cheated people on instead of giving away everything? I somehow doubt that you are familiar enough with the details of Steve's personal life to know whether or not he ever sold a car or a house and if so, refused to use any of the income for charitable purposes. You are without a doubt the most self righteous atheist I have ever encountered. You make Jerry Falwell look like a libertine.
Jesus sold all his possessions, and lived owning nothing but the clothes on his back. His disciples did likewise.

Why do modern Christians feel they should not do likewise? Because they want to have nice things. They want the comfort of a nice house and the security of knowing they will have food and shelter tomorrow. I get that.

But they are still ignoring what Jesus did, what the disciples did and what Jesus told his followers to do.

And if we see Christians ignoring what Jesus told them to do, why would anyone imagine non-Christians are going to do as Jesus said?

See, stiggy, the point at the root of this is SteveB wagging his "nyah-nyah finger" at me. But with usual Christian hypocrisy, you just ignore that. And, of course, Jesus also condemn hypocrisy, and Christians ignore that one too.

Interesting you are not quoting the second command.

Oh, you mean THIS one:

And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Nothing about selling ALL possessions. Thanks for pointing out your own failure.

Jesus sold all his possessions, and lived owning nothing but the clothes on his back. His disciples did likewise.

WRONG! I pointed out to you that the disciples did not sell their loaves of bread and Peter did not sell his sword. Did you miss that? Oh, and Peter went fishing after Jesus' resurrection. Looks like he didn't sell his boat nor his fishing gear. Dude, you REALLY ought to read the Bible before pretending you know what it says. These embarrassing moments for you are so unnecessary.

So do what Jesus said. Sell your possessions and give your money to the poor.
I already have.

Why would it surprise you if YHVH restores what I gave him with more?
You really should read the Bible.

Mat 19:29 WEB Everyone who has left houses, or brothers, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name’s sake, will receive one hundred times, and will inherit eternal life.

Mar 10:28-31 WEB 28 Peter began to tell him, “Behold, we have left all and have followed you.” 29 Jesus said, “Most certainly I tell you, there is no one who has left house, or brothers, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or land, for my sake, and for the sake of the Good News, 30 but he will receive one hundred times more now in this time: houses, brothers, sisters, mothers, children, and land, with persecutions; and in the age to come eternal life. 31 But many who are first will be last, and the last first.”

you really should stop talking about matters you don't understand.

It only shames you.

Still waiting for you to what you tell others to do and follow Jesus' command...
So, you're hoping that your ignorance will be enough to justify yourself?

Right. I do not believe you have sold your possessions and given your money to the poor.
And why would you think that your ignorance is a valid basis for the truth?

Then convince me you have sold your possessions and given your money to the poor.
Build a time machine and travel back to 1980.
You can find me at Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa, in Southern California.

Just as you will live with the consequences of not following Jesus' command to sell your possessions and give your money to the poor. And to pretend that you have.
Pity you don't take the time to read the Bible for the purpose of learning, understanding and awareness that you may obey the gospel and experience YHVH.

You telling me to follow Jesus' commands, but failing to do so yourself.
Yep. The promotion of your ongoing dedication to deliberate and willful ignorance will only bring about your own destruction.

Psa 91:14-16 WEB 14 “Because he has set his love on me, therefore I will deliver him. I will set him on high, because he has known my name. 15 He will call on me, and I will answer him. I will be with him in trouble. I will deliver him, and honor him. 16 I will satisfy him with long life, and show him my salvation.”

2Co 1:20-22 WEB 20 For however many are the promises of God, in him is the “Yes.” Therefore also through him is the “Amen”, to the glory of God through us. 21 Now he who establishes us with you in Christ and anointed us is God, 22 who also sealed us and gave us the down payment of the Spirit in our hearts.

To visit you? At that nice house that you own? Full of your nice possessions?
Psa 50:16-23 WEB 16 But to the wicked God says, “What right do you have to declare my statutes, that you have taken my covenant on your lips, 17 since you hate instruction, and throw my words behind you? 18 When you saw a thief, you consented with him, and have participated with adulterers. 19 “You give your mouth to evil. Your tongue frames deceit. 20 You sit and speak against your brother. You slander your own mother’s son. 21 You have done these things, and I kept silent. You thought that I was just like you. I will rebuke you, and accuse you in front of your eyes. 22 “Now consider this, you who forget God, lest I tear you into pieces, and there be no one to deliver. 23 Whoever offers the sacrifice of thanksgiving glorifies me, and prepares his way so that I will show God’s salvation to him.”

You're more than welcome to come and find out.

You're definitely lying to yourself.

I want you to pick one so we can discuss it.
I picked the two videos.
What part of them are you having a problem with?

And to show you actually watched the videos.
Ah. So you're too cowardly to discuss why you're bothered.

Your thoughts?
I've been describing my thoughts for the past 10-1/2 years.

The guy who is finding any way he can to avoid discussing the topic of his own thread?
You're the one who continues to accuse me, but has never once discussed the topic of the op.

Read the title. The title you wrote. That is the topic of the thread.
Yet you continue to dedicate yourself to your deliberate and willful ignorance by accusing me of matters you know nothing about.

Whether the Bible can be trusted.
Bingo!

Again, read the title of the thread.
Why, don't you understand that I'm the one who posted the op?

The topic of the thread is whether we can trust the Bible.
Bingo!
Still nothing about whether we can trust the Bible.
Then focus on the op, and stop blaming me for your own cowardice.

Oh, you mean THIS one:

And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Nothing about selling ALL possessions. Thanks for pointing out your own failure.
I was referencing you inability to love your neighbours - the ones who are not Christians.

WRONG! I pointed out to you that the disciples did not sell their loaves of bread and Peter did not sell his sword. Did you miss that? Oh, and Peter went fishing after Jesus' resurrection. Looks like he didn't sell his boat nor his fishing gear. Dude, you REALLY ought to read the Bible before pretending you know what it says. These embarrassing moments for you are so unnecessary.
And yet Jesus said:

Luke 12:32 ‘Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. 33 Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. 34 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Hmm, looks like you found a contradiction.

Luke 9:3 He told them: “Take nothing for the journey—no staff, no bag, no bread, no money, no extra shirt.

The disciples and Jesus pooled their money, rather than have personal possessions.

John 12:6 He did not say this because he cared about the poor but because he was a thief; as keeper of the money bag, he used to help himself to what was put into it.
John 13:29 Since Judas had charge of the money, some thought Jesus was telling him to buy what was needed for the festival, or to give something to the poor.

And after Jesus was crucified:

Acts 2:44 All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45 They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need.
Acts 4:32 All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they shared everything they had.

I picked the two videos.
What part of them are you having a problem with?
The picking-one-reason-to-trust-the-Bible part.

You can pick videos without watching them. You would have to watch them to pick one out of those ten the reasons. A step too far it seems.

What's it to you? What business is it of yours? Why can't you keep your self righteous snooping nose out of the personal life of others?
Because of the self righteous Christian two-faced claim to know Jesus, and follow Jesus, and proselytize Jesus... of course until it becomes inconvenient for them to actually do so. Then your faith just becomes shards of disjunct scriptures tacked on your wall.

I was referencing you inability to love your neighbours - the ones who are not Christians.

Oh, I absolutely ADORE my agnostic neighbor. And he's a Georgia fan, while I'm a Tech grad. But we both own lawn tools and share them with one another.

And yet Jesus said:

I already pointed out your blunder in thinking He said to sell ALL possessions. Why are you bringing attention to that blunder?

Hmm, looks like you found a contradiction.

Then why did you fail so miserably to show one?

The disciples and Jesus pooled their money, rather than have personal possessions.

They had NETS!!

And after Jesus was crucified:

Acts 2:44 All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45 They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need.

Yep. And .............? They didn't give them away. They SHARED them. Did you mean to refute yourself?

Acts 4:32 All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they shared everything they had.

How can you share something you don't own? You really need a break from this place. You are failing even more than usual. And it's rapid fire failure.

Because of the self righteous Christian two-faced claim to know Jesus, and follow Jesus, and proselytize Jesus...

WHAT?

Here's what I asked:

"What's it to you? What business is it of yours? Why can't you keep your self righteous snooping nose out of the personal life of others?"

And your answer for the reason that you snoop is that the snoop-ees claim to know Jesus? You think that follows?

of course until it becomes inconvenient for them to actually do so.

So when you discern backsliding, you delight to move in and pile on to the conscience of the backslider. I hate to inform you of this, but I doubt if any Christian backslider gives a flying fart about your pharisaical evaluation of his or her conduct.

Then your faith just becomes shards of disjunct scriptures tacked on your wall.

I've got Titus 1:12 tacked on my wall. It's a good conversation piece.

WHAT?

Here's what I asked:

"What's it to you? What business is it of yours? Why can't you keep your self righteous snooping nose out of the personal life of others?"

And your answer for the reason that you snoop is that the snoop-ees claim to know Jesus? You think that follows?
WHAT?

Here’s what was claimed:

It is in the Bible.

Do you believe and follow that strongly? Do you do it? Nope... Yet somehow you hold that it is still imperative for us to adhere to whatever shards of your belief remain.

The picking-one-reason-to-trust-the-Bible part.
So, it's not enough that I provide food for discussion, I'm supposed to pick what you're allowed to eat too?
Sounds like you're stuck.
You can pick videos without watching them. You would have to watch them to pick one out of those ten the reasons. A step too far it seems.
I'm thinking that you're just being lazy for not selecting the elements you don't like.

Do you believe and follow that strongly? Do you do it?

Why do you need to know? Are you in the process of writing my biography?

Nope... Yet somehow you hold that it is still imperative for us to adhere to whatever shards of your belief remain.

Imperative? I've TOLD you not to use polysyllabic words you don't know the meaning of. Or perhaps you'd like to cite even one instance where I have commanded you to believe what I believe.

Why do you need to know? Are you in the process of writing my biography?
No. I’m in the process of evaluating whether you actually believe what you say you believe (you obviously don’t) and follow Jesus (you obviously don’t).
Imperative? I've TOLD you not to use polysyllabic words you don't know the meaning of. Or perhaps you'd like to cite even one instance where I have commanded you to believe what I believe.
of vital importance; crucial.

We’ve established you don't think it is important to believe or follow Jesus. So not only was it impossible to follow what you actually believe, but now we can’t even trust what you say you believe.

Last edited:
No. I’m in the process of evaluating whether you actually believe what you say you believe (you obviously don’t) and follow Jesus (you obviously don’t). We’ve established you don't think it is important to believe or follow Jesus.

I once followed current Miami Marlins first baseman Jesus Aguilar at a game against my Atlanta Braves after a home run he hit, back when he was with the Athletics. I followed him clear round the bases, but I doubt that that would make for exciting activity in your biography of me.

Last edited:
I once followed current Miami Marlins first baseman Jesus Aguilar at a game against my Atlanta Braves after a home run he hit, back when he was with the Athletics. I followed him clear round the bases, but I doubt that that would make for exciting activity in your biography of me.
If that’s the best you got.... enjoy hell.

Back