10000 character limit

SteveB

Ok. I really need help from mgmt here.
I have a post, according to MS Word's character count, including spaces, it's 12,984 characters.
I grabbed 4117 characters, which should reduce it to 8867 characters.
Yet the forum's software says I'm still over 10000 characters.
And fwiw, I did an online character count, and it too says I only have 12984 characters.
I then checked the amount I grabbed, and it too says--- 4117 characters, with a remainder of 8867 characters.
Is there anyone who can explain how this works?

How can I have a document which includes less than 9000 characters, and still be over the 10000 character limit?

Septextura

@SteveB

There are hidden formatting characters in Word, which carry over to the forum's text editor to maintain the original formatting (how a text looks).

To strip these hidden characters, copy from Word and right click here in the forum editor and use "Paste as plain text."

Alternative option is to copy and paste your Word text in Notepad first. Then copy it from there to the forum.

SteveB

@SteveB

There are hidden formatting characters in Word, which carry over to the forum's text editor to maintain the original formatting (how a text looks).

To strip these hidden characters, copy from Word and right click here in the forum editor and use "Paste as plain text."

Alternative option is to copy and paste your Word text in Notepad first. Then copy it from there to the forum.
That sounds reasonable, but I've checked with an online character counter, and it shows the same exact number of characters.
If the "hidden" characters were in fact part of the problem--- they'd have appeared in the counter's count.
Furthermore, Word counts the spaces.
There should not be 1133+ hidden characters in the content. A dozen-- maybe two dozen, I can see.... so you're going to have to give me an example of this.

SteveB

I have no idea why it would do that.
Me neither.... this is why I'm asking..... Sept's comment doesn't make sense. I can see a couple of dozen hidden characters, but not over 1133 hidden characters. that's unreasonable.

And the only reason I don't do as he described, is because I'm looking to keep the built-in quote formatting the forum software uses.

Septextura

That sounds reasonable, but I've checked with an online character counter, and it shows the same exact number of characters.
If the "hidden" characters were in fact part of the problem--- they'd have appeared in the counter's count.
Furthermore, Word counts the spaces.
There should not be 1133+ hidden characters in the content. A dozen-- maybe two dozen, I can see.... so you're going to have to give me an example of this.

Counters don't convert Word formatting code to HTML, they disregard it. Try one of the two copying methods I suggested and see what happens.

SteveB

Counters don't convert Word formatting code to HTML, they disregard it. Try one of the two copying methods I suggested and see what happens.
but 1133+ characters?
I'm acquainted with HTML coding. I can see maybe 500 characters....

Septextura

but 1133+ characters?

Depends how heavily formatted the Word text is. That's all going to blow up in html code character count, which forum software take in consideration instead of what's actually printed by the browser.

SteveB

Ok.
I've decided to take this to the MS Answer's site. It's been so long since I've used HTML, or even seen forum's formatting for it, that beyond the built-in coding we have here, I don't recall how complex it can get, and get the results I'm seeing.

SteveB

Well, I finally got this figured out. And embarrassingly so, the answer was right above the post in the toolbar.
I'm posting this because today I had a post which Word said was only 8750-8850 characters. But the forum's character limit said I was over 10,000 characters.

The forum's software essentially hides the coding we used to see in the previous forums.
Up to the right, above the post, is two [ ]. Those allow us to "toggle bb code."

So, after several attempts to reduce my post to below 10,000, using word, which told me it was below 8800, I started looking at the tools in the toolbar, and noticed the [ ]. I moused over it, and sure enough---- toggle bb code. Highlighted yellow in the screenshot below.
1614732091250.png

So, I clicked it, and all the old code we used to see on the previous forum appeared. And sure enough.... there it all was.
I copied and pasted into word, and yep..... 10,054 characters.

So, I removed some of the formatting, and that took it below 9950.

Guys, I know you're busy, and I really appreciate all you do for us..... but would you please consider inserting a character counter so we could know where we are in our usage/post?

TYIA.

Mike McK

I have a post, according to MS Word's character count, including spaces, it's 12,984 characters.
And fwiw, I did an online character count, and it too says I only have 12984 characters.
I then checked the amount I grabbed, and it too says--- 4117 characters, with a remainder of 8867 characters.

How can I have a document which includes less than 9000 characters, and still be over the 10000 character limit?
Did the same to me yesterday when I was posting scriptural evidence for the Biblical doctrine of eternal security, but then I hit refresh and it posted. Sounds like a glitch in the software.

SteveB

Did the same to me yesterday when I was posting scriptural evidence for the Biblical doctrine of eternal security, but then I hit refresh and it posted. Sounds like a glitch in the software.
see my post immediately above yours.

OldShepherd

Not knowing all that my work around was to split the post. Move down to the middle of the post, block and copy the bottom half then delete it in the original post. Type this at the bottom of the original post [Character Limit continued in following post] At the top of the next post type [Previous post continued] then paste in the save post.

BJ Bear

An easy way to solve this issue when working off line in a word processor such as MS Word is to save the document as text. At that point the character count will be he same or very near that of the bb editor.

The problem you ran up against is that word wasn't counting its unprintable characters.

SteveB

An easy way to solve this issue when working off line in a word processor such as MS Word is to save the document as text. At that point the character count will be he same or very near that of the bb editor.

The problem you ran up against is that word wasn't counting its unprintable characters.
Correct.
I figured it out back on March 2nd of this year.

Post in thread '10000 character limit' https://forums.carm.org/threads/10000-character-limit.813/post-185106