Racing down a river from the past
Every day we're standing
In a wind tunnel
Facing down the future coming fast
It's just the age
It's just a stage
We disengage
We turn the page"

"Thanks to climate-change concerns and the emergence of new manufacturing materials..." (Wall Street Journal 11/4/2022)

im-656142

Hydrogen aircraft show hope.

ZeroAvia’s hydrogen engine

___

"Thanks to climate-change concerns and the emergence of new manufacturing materials..." (Wall Street Journal 11/4/2022)

im-656142

Hydrogen aircraft show hope.

ZeroAvia’s hydrogen engine

___
How fast are they? I am guessing they are not jet engine; do they use hydrogen to generate electricity, or otherwise turn a propeller? If that is the case, they would (I think) be much slower. Given a choice of a six hour flight that destroys the planet and an eight hour flight that does not, plenty of people will pick the former.

How fast are they?

I'm sure the information is available. TBD

I am guessing they are not jet engine; do they use hydrogen to generate electricity, or otherwise turn a propeller? If that is the case, they would (I think) be much slower. Given a choice of a six hour flight that destroys the planet and an eight hour flight that does not, plenty of people will pick the former.

Good questions.

Years ago they stated a target of "500-mile flights to serve the short-haul and commuter air travel markets".

6a00d8341c4fbe53ef0240a49f97ef200d-550wi

"ZeroAvia prototype shown powering a 6-seat Piper M-Class aircraft, already in
flight tests from February 2019."

As of September 2022, together with Textron Aviation, there was a public announcement to produce a hydrogen-electric engine for Cessna. If their ambitions meet their projected schedule, their ZA600 hydrogen-electric engine will power 9- to 19-seat aircraft with the aim of a 300 nautical mile range by 2025 and even a 40- to 80-seat aircraft with a range of 700 nautical miles by 2027.

Earlier in May 2022, a public announcement was made with Mitsubishi to retrofit CRJ regional jets with hydrogen-electric powertrains.

DDMH0102_CRJ900_01_Zeroavia_V316X9-scaled.jpeg

"ZeroAvia says all flights by CRJ Series aircraft “should be zero-emission well before
the end of this decade.”

___

Hydrogen vs Battery

__

From the Jerusalem Post (11/8/2022): Green Hydrogen Production Breakthrough

The finding was theoretically and experimentally determined through photoelectrochemistry using oxygenic photosynthesis.

"Our research changes the common understanding within the scientific community about the catalytic mechanism for oxygen evolution – a central and important reaction that represents a bottleneck in producing hydrogen from water. ( Avner Rothschild )

Here is their paper ---> Parallel water photo-oxidation pathways...

It's an exciting time to live as breakthroughs in our understanding accelerate.

___

Last edited:
Back