1John 5:1 regeneration before faith

I see what you mean. not sure i would call it enabling, but at the same time that is one way to describe what happens,
Until you are drawn you are unable to go, not because of inability, but because of ignorance
Well Jesus did according to the NIV

but you are correct it is ignorance

and ignorance may be relieved by hearing or seeing the truth

Romans 10:17 (KJV 1900) — 17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

John 20:31 (KJV 1900) — 31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

Jesus didn't translate the NIV.
More translation shopping on your part.
The NIV committee knows a lot more about translating Greek than you do.

enable*

The New International Version 7 results in 7 verses

Luke 1:74
to rescue us from the hand of our enemies, and to enable us to serve him without fear

John 6:65
He went on to say, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled them.”

Acts 2:4
All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.

Acts 4:29
Now, Lord, consider their threats and enable your servants to speak your word with great boldness.

Acts 7:10
and rescued him from all his troubles. He gave Joseph wisdom and enabled him to gain the goodwill of Pharaoh king of Egypt. So Pharaoh made him ruler over Egypt and all his palace.

You need to hear and learn from the father

and one had to be the Fathers to be given
Really? So give understanding by the Spirit. LOL

It does not you had to be the Fathers. What did you call that? Oh ya, reading your theology into the text. I remember now.

The NIV committee knows a lot more about translating Greek than you do.

enable*

The New International Version 7 results in 7 verses

Luke 1:74
to rescue us from the hand of our enemies, and to enable us to serve him without fear

John 6:65
He went on to say, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled them.”

Acts 2:4
All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.

Acts 4:29
Now, Lord, consider their threats and enable your servants to speak your word with great boldness.

Acts 7:10
and rescued him from all his troubles. He gave Joseph wisdom and enabled him to gain the goodwill of Pharaoh king of Egypt. So Pharaoh made him ruler over Egypt and all his palace.

I just looked at the helps on John 6:65 - What your translation calls "Enable" is a word most often translated "give" but it seems that to enable works

Last edited:
That's up to God huh? Or is your will to much for Him to overcome?
God allows us to freely exercise our will in response to his continual loving attempts to influence and draw us to himself.
Unlike the devils who possess humans and force them to do things they would not do of their own will. Mark 9:17-29

The evidence is the posts I have been reading here, my comments are based on what you and others have been writing. For instance denying that we have free will puts us on a level with a dirt clod.

Really?
So you think "dirt clods" have wills?!
Bizarre.

By the way, since my post was about Calvinists, I assume, beacuse you responded, you identify that way?

That's how others identify me, yes.
But I prefer the label, "Reformed".

God allows us to freely exercise our will in response to his continual loving attempts to influence and draw us to himself.

"Attempt" is a word that does not apply to the God of the Bible.
The words of Yoda describe God:
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."

"Attempt" is a word that does not apply to the God of the Bible.
The words of Yoda describe God:
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
Mt 23:37 “Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often have I desired to gather your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing!

Mt 23:37 “Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often have I desired to gather your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing!
I believe Calvinists have a strange take on this verse which robs it of the point you are showing, But maybe someone will check in on this

There are three groups in play here:
1) Jesus;
2) "Jerusalem" (ie. the Pharisees);
3) "your children" (ie. the Jews).

Jesus wanted to gather the Jews, but the Pharisees were the ones who "were not willing".

The "hen" is not the same as her "brood".
And "Jerusalem" is not the same as "your children".

I believe Calvinists have a strange take on this verse which robs it of the point you are showing, But maybe someone will check in on this

Nope... It's YOUR side who has "a strange take" on this. You redefine two different groups to be referring to the SAME group, so that it can match your false theology.

The fact that neither of you know the correct understanding of this verse, despite the fact that it has been explained in this forum DOZENS of times, shows you're not interested truth, and you don't pay attention to what Calvinists respond with.

No sir, you knew exactly what I meant about dirt clods, as calvinism tries to rob people of their free will.

First of all, why do you insist on using the most derogatory language possible?
Are you not aware that Christianity teaches charity, patience, and love?

Secondly, Calvinism doesn't "rob people" of ANYTHING.

Finally, I have REPEATEDLY explained to you that we believe the Bible, and the Bible teaches that we DO have "wills" (which "dirt clods" do NOT have, last I checked), it is simply that our wills are not "free will". Our wills (which "dirt clods" do not have, last I checked) are either enslaved in sin, or slaves to righteousness Rom. 6:16-18).

So by admitting that "dirt clods" to not have wills, you have refuted your original derogatory and insulting claim that Calvinism allegedly teaches that humans are no more than "dirt".

There are three groups in play here:
1) Jesus;
2) "Jerusalem" (ie. the Pharisees);
3) "your children" (ie. the Jews).

Jesus wanted to gather the Jews, but the Pharisees were the ones who "were not willing".

The "hen" is not the same as her "brood".
And "Jerusalem" is not the same as "your children".

Nope... It's YOUR side who has "a strange take" on this. You redefine two different groups to be referring to the SAME group, so that it can match your false theology.

The fact that neither of you know the correct understanding of this verse, despite the fact that it has been explained in this forum DOZENS of times, shows you're not interested truth, and you don't pay attention to what Calvinists respond with.
What you call "Explained" is just you giving your biased doctrinal position. Like in this post, there is nothing written explaining how you arrive at your position, and that is because, you did not arrive at the explanation, you merely parrot an explanation that supports reformed theology

What you call "Explained" is just you giving your biased doctrinal position.

On what basis do you call my explanation "biased"?
Do you consider your own understanding "biased"?

Do you believe "you" and "your children" refer to the same group, or different groups?
At my work, I work with many colleagues, but I don't work with their children.
They are clearly different groups.

Like in this post, there is nothing written explaining how you arrive at your position, and that is because, you did not arrive at the explanation, you merely parrot an explanation that supports reformed theology

So you think I'm "parroting" something?
Again, thank you for the insulting assumption.
You are wrong, of course.
But what is the basis for your false assumption?

Back