2 Timothy 3:16 Translation

Jesus learned much of what he knew from that "book."

And what he had learned from the Jewish writings paled in comparison to what he received at the Jordan.

His authority was the One who sent him. He came in the name of his God, that is, by his Father's authority. His authority was not a book but his God.

So tell us, what is your authority? Your own interpretations of a book or a person known as the Lord Jesus Christ?

So if you won't address any of my points rationally, there seems little point in continuing the debate.
Don't you know? O.l.d is a sinless, powerless self-proclaimed little christ. There are a few of them around here. They need to pick and choose what THEY believe is part of God's Word and what is not to make their christ-like claims. One of them, GM, does not believe any of Paul's letters are God's Word. It's not worth it to throw pearls to swine.. But you do what you feel you need to do. I have stopped addressing them personally. They refuse (because they can't) to prove who they claim to be. The True Christ (God the Son) was able too. It's comical to read what they write. It's like when satan tried to get Christ to follow him in the desert using His own words. These guys are a joke. IMHO

And what he had learned from the Jewish writings paled in comparison to what he received at the Jordan.
That's quite the assertion. Can you prove it?

Jesus still fell back on "it is written."

His authority was the One who sent him. He came in the name of his God, that is, by his Father's authority. His authority was not a book but his God.
Yes, the authority behind Jesus was God. But Jesus still went to the scriptures.

So tell us, what is your authority? Your own interpretations of a book or a person known as the Lord Jesus Christ?
Any revelations a person thinks he receives from Jesus Christ or God will not contradict the written word.

That's quite the assertion. Can you prove it?

Yeah, sure can.

Jesus still fell back on "it is written."

He wasn't "falling back" on anything. He spoke to Jews under the Law.

Yes, the authority behind Jesus was God.

Finally, you are learning something.

But Jesus still went to the scriptures.

Of course he quoted the Scriptures.

Any revelations a person thinks he receives from Jesus Christ or God will not contradict the written word.

But they will almost certainly contradict your interpretations of it.

Don't you know? O.l.d is a sinless, powerless self-proclaimed little christ. There are a few of them around here. They need to pick and choose what THEY believe is part of God's Word and what is not to make their christ-like claims. One of them, GM, does not believe any of Paul's letters are God's Word. It's not worth it to throw pearls to swine.. But you do what you feel you need to do. I have stopped addressing them personally. They refuse (because they can't) to prove who they claim to be. The True Christ (God the Son) was able too. It's comical to read what they write. It's like when satan tried to get Christ to follow him in the desert using His own words. These guys are a joke. IMHO
I tend to agree, except for your "God the Son" statement. Jesus is never called that in the Bible. The true Christ is the Son of God, God's human Messiah.

AGAIN:

The Scriptures were appealed to by Christ and Apostles.

Jesus Christ and the writers of the Christian Scriptures often used the word gra·pheʹ in appealing to the writings of Moses and the prophets as their authority for their teaching or for their work, on the grounds that these writings were inspired by God. Frequently these Hebrew writings as a whole were designated “Scriptures.”

Biblical proofs:

Mt 21:42 Jesus said to them: “Did you never read in the Scriptures, ‘The stone that the builders rejected, this has become the chief cornerstone. This has come from Jehovah, and it is marvelous in our eyes’?
...22:29 In reply Jesus said to them: “You are mistaken, because you know neither the Scriptures nor the power of God;

Mr 14:49 Day after day I was with you in the temple teaching, and yet you did not take me into custody. Nevertheless, this is to fulfill the Scriptures.”

Joh 5:39 “You are searching the Scriptures because you think that you will have everlasting life by means of them; and these are the very ones that bear witness about me.

Ac 17:11 Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thes·sa·lo·niʹca, for they accepted the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.
...18:24 Now a Jew named A·polʹlos, a native of Alexandria, arrived in Ephʹe·sus; he was an eloquent man who was well-versed in the Scriptures. (...) 28 for publicly and with great intensity he thoroughly proved the Jews to be wrong, showing them from the Scriptures that Jesus is the Christ.

Sometimes the singular form “Scripture” was used where a certain text was cited, referring to it as part of the entire body of writings in the Hebrew Scriptures.

Biblical proofs:

Ro 9:17 For the scripture says to Pharʹaoh: “For this very reason I have let you remain: to show my power in connection with you and to have my name declared in all the earth.”

Ga 3:8 Now the scripture, foreseeing that God would declare people of the nations righteous through faith, declared the good news beforehand to Abraham, namely: “By means of you all the nations will be blessed.”

Again, reference was made to a single text as a “scripture,” with the sense of its being an authoritative statement.

Biblical proofs:

Mr 12:10 Did you never read this scripture: ‘The stone that the builders rejected, this has become the chief cornerstone.

Lu 4:21Then he began to say to them: “Today this scripture that you just heard is fulfilled.”

Joh 19:24 So they said to one another: “Let us not tear it, but let us cast lots over it to decide whose it will be.” This was to fulfill the scripture: “They divided my garments among themselves, and they cast lots for my clothing.” So the soldiers actually did these things. (...) 36
In fact, these things took place for the scripture to be fulfilled: “Not a bone of his will be broken.” 36 And again, a different scripture says: “They will look to the one whom they pierced.”

At 2 Timothy 3:16 and 2 Peter 1:20, Paul and Peter appear to refer to both the inspired Hebrew and Greek writings as “Scripture.”
Peter classifies Paul’s writings as part of the “Scriptures” here:

2 Peter 3:15 Furthermore, consider the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote you according to the wisdom given him, 16 speaking about these things as he does in all his letters. However, some things in them are hard to understand, and these things the ignorant and unstable are twisting, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

PS: Some people in this forum are obsesed with negating what they are seeing in the Scriptures and contradicting everything they don´t see fit, even when it's proved with Scriptures; sometimes even insulting and trying to personally attack the poster. They are full of bad attitude, and that is not allowing them to see even with eyes.

Biblical Proof: 2Thess. 2:9 But the lawless one’s presence is by the operation of Satan with every powerful work and lying signs and wonders 10 and every unrighteous deception for those who are perishing, as a retribution because they did not accept the love of the truth in order that they might be saved. 11 That is why God lets a deceptive influence mislead them so that they may come to believe the lie, 12 in order that they all may be judged because they did not believe the truth but took pleasure in unrighteousness.

Last edited:
AGAIN:

The Scriptures were appealed to by Christ and Apostles.

Jesus Christ and the writers of the Christian Scriptures often used the word gra·pheʹ in appealing to the writings of Moses and the prophets as their authority for their teaching or for their work, on the grounds that these writings were inspired by God. Frequently these Hebrew writings as a whole were designated “Scriptures.”

Biblical proofs:

Mt 21:42 Jesus said to them: “Did you never read in the Scriptures, ‘The stone that the builders rejected, this has become the chief cornerstone. This has come from Jehovah, and it is marvelous in our eyes’?
...22:29 In reply Jesus said to them: “You are mistaken, because you know neither the Scriptures nor the power of God;

Mr 14:49 Day after day I was with you in the temple teaching, and yet you did not take me into custody. Nevertheless, this is to fulfill the Scriptures.”

Joh 5:39 “You are searching the Scriptures because you think that you will have everlasting life by means of them; and these are the very ones that bear witness about me.

Ac 17:11 Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thes·sa·lo·niʹca, for they accepted the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.
...18:24 Now a Jew named A·polʹlos, a native of Alexandria, arrived in Ephʹe·sus; he was an eloquent man who was well-versed in the Scriptures. (...) 28 for publicly and with great intensity he thoroughly proved the Jews to be wrong, showing them from the Scriptures that Jesus is the Christ.

Sometimes the singular form “Scripture” was used where a certain text was cited, referring to it as part of the entire body of writings in the Hebrew Scriptures.

Biblical proofs:

Ro 9:17 For the scripture says to Pharʹaoh: “For this very reason I have let you remain: to show my power in connection with you and to have my name declared in all the earth.”

Ga 3:8 Now the scripture, foreseeing that God would declare people of the nations righteous through faith, declared the good news beforehand to Abraham, namely: “By means of you all the nations will be blessed.”

Again, reference was made to a single text as a “scripture,” with the sense of its being an authoritative statement.

Biblical proofs:

Mr 12:10 Did you never read this scripture: ‘The stone that the builders rejected, this has become the chief cornerstone.

Lu 4:21Then he began to say to them: “Today this scripture that you just heard is fulfilled.”

Joh 19:24 So they said to one another: “Let us not tear it, but let us cast lots over it to decide whose it will be.” This was to fulfill the scripture: “They divided my garments among themselves, and they cast lots for my clothing.” So the soldiers actually did these things. (...) 36
In fact, these things took place for the scripture to be fulfilled: “Not a bone of his will be broken.” 36 And again, a different scripture says: “They will look to the one whom they pierced.”

At 2 Timothy 3:16 and 2 Peter 1:20, Paul and Peter appear to refer to both the inspired Hebrew and Greek writings as “Scripture.”
Peter classifies Paul’s writings as part of the “Scriptures” here:

2 Peter 3:15 Furthermore, consider the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote you according to the wisdom given him, 16 speaking about these things as he does in all his letters. However, some things in them are hard to understand, and these things the ignorant and unstable are twisting, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction.

PS: Some people in this forum are obsesed with negating what they are seeing in the Scriptures and contradicting everything they don´t see fit, even when it's proved with Scriptures; sometimes even insulting and trying to personally attack the poster. They are full of bad attitude, and that is not allowing them to see even with eyes.

Biblical Proof: 2Thess. 2:9 But the lawless one’s presence is by the operation of Satan with every powerful work and lying signs and wonders 10 and every unrighteous deception for those who are perishing, as a retribution because they did not accept the love of the truth in order that they might be saved. 11 That is why God lets a deceptive influence mislead them so that they may come to believe the lie, 12 in order that they all may be judged because they did not believe the truth but took pleasure in unrighteousness.

How do you know the book of Jude is "Scripture" and that are expected to appeal to it?

Or Philemon?

Or 3 John?

All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness... NASB

Since "Scripture" is just an archaic English word for "writing(s)", this would effectively state that everything anyone has written is inspired by God which makes no sense.

In Greek, there is no "is" there.

πασα γραφη θεοπνευστος και ωφελιμος....

So does it really say....

All Scripture is God breathed and profitable...?

OR

All God breathed Scripture is also profitable...?

Given the immediate context, it seems to me it is the latter.

Again, "Scriptures" is just an archaic English word for "writings." The Greek word itself does not denote inspired writings.

Only the God breathed writings are "Holy Writings."

and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures which are able to make you wise unto salvation through faith that is in Christ Jesus. 16 All God breathed Scripture is also profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness...

The God breathed writings are able to make Timothy wise.... but those same writings are also profitable for other things.

and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures which are able to make you wise unto salvation through faith that is in Christ Jesus. 16 All God breathed Scripture is also profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness...

It appears to me that the traditional translation of this verse is plainly wrong and it should be, "All God breathed Scripture is also profitable..." or "All inspired Scripture is also profitable...." rather than "All Scripture is God breathed..." or "All Scripture is inspired..." When you think about it, the traditional translation doesn't even make any sense.
God breathed,,,,,

We inhale the Word.
We exhale upon application....

Back