500 Year Anniversary of the Diet of Worms

Today marks arguably one of the most important events in the last half-millennium - the 500 year anniversary of the Diet of Worms. On April 16th, 1521, Martin Luther was summoned to appear before the Holy Roman Empire to recant his faith in the gospel of salvation by faith alone, which is clearly taught in Scripture (Romans 1:16-17; 4:3-5; 5:1, etc.) Instead, on April 18th, 1521, Luther gave his famous speech:

"Unless I am convinced by the testimony of the Scriptures or by clear reason (for I do not trust either in the pope or in councils alone, since it is well known that they have often erred and contradicted themselves), I am bound by the Scriptures I have quoted and my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and will not recant anything, since it is neither safe nor right to go against conscience. May God help me. Amen."

Regardless on one's opinion of Luther, he no doubt changed the world for the better, even for Catholics, who would not know the Bible even to the extent they do now, not to mention countless of benefits, both religious & secular, that we all take for granted on a daily basis.

Our Lord's God

Today marks arguably one of the most important events in the last half-millennium - the 500 year anniversary of the Diet of Worms. On April 16th, 1521, Martin Luther was summoned to appear before the Holy Roman Empire to recant his faith in the gospel of salvation by faith alone, which is clearly taught in Scripture (Romans 1:16-17; 4:3-5; 5:1, etc.) Instead, on April 18th, 1521, Luther gave his famous speech:

"Unless I am convinced by the testimony of the Scriptures or by clear reason (for I do not trust either in the pope or in councils alone, since it is well known that they have often erred and contradicted themselves), I am bound by the Scriptures I have quoted and my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and will not recant anything, since it is neither safe nor right to go against conscience. May God help me. Amen."

Regardless on one's opinion of Luther, he no doubt changed the world for the better, even for Catholics, who would not know the Bible even to the extent they do now, not to mention countless of benefits, both religious & secular, that we all take for granted on a daily basis.

Martin Luther only jumped from the frying pan into the fire.

Our Lord's God

But in the process, restored the FUNDAMENTAL TRUTH of Christianity, that the Catholics had long forgotten (with their phony "We are the CHURCH" BECAUSE WE SAY SO heresy).

You really need to learn how to get a grip on reality instead of supposing you can always turn away from facts by tickling your itching ears and telling yourself whatever it is you want to hear to comfort yourself.