500 Year Anniversary of the Diet of Worms

For the record, you guys are using historical in different contexts. One is historical in the sense it can be traced back through the centuries before the time of their unique doctrines, and the other that they are historical from the time of asserting unique doctrine.
I am not being rude nor snarky, but you seem to be making a distinction without a difference. It seems to me that you are attempting to add a theological history into the mix. there is already an excellent book on the history of theological beliefs by JND Kelly called Early Christian Doctrines. It is a good read, and used in many seminaries.

In the sense I meant in the context was a simple recollection of facts, plus I used Britannica as resource with any apparent bias
The second context is based a link you provided. https://www.britannica.com/topic/Anabaptists

I will admit that this link may have some away from my aim, but I was trying to do several things simultaneously. Primary was to demonstrate that the poster was simply pontificating erroneously, providing no historical background to his rant, and to let others in churches which practice believer's baptism see the twisting path which led to the Pilgrims of 1620, and to the many iterations of the Baptist churches.

Because most big questions of history are quite often a question of theology and because the USA (and Germany?) are secular societies, our school systems largely ignore the religious histories which are part and parcel of the history of the original 13 Colonies of the "New World"

There is LOTS more, which I could add, but that would take us further away from the 500th anniversary of the Diet of Worms.

Just pointing out the obvious.

Really, you would be surprised to learn how many cannot make those connections. Since many of the great questions in history are actually based in religious beliefs, and many Americans are adverse to studying European history, particularly the time of the Reformation they remain globally uneducated, bordering on xenophobia.

Yes. The early days were something else since Luther had no idea what he had gotten himself into until the Papal Bull Exsurge Domine. In a way he was a bit like Mr. Magoo.

Martin Brecht's Martin Luther, His Road To Reformation is a great read, as is the rest of his three volume biography of Luther.
I haven't read it. Have you read Eric Metaxa's book on Martin Luther that came out in 2017 in time for the Reformation anniversary? I read it about a year after it came out. Very enlightening.

Bob Carabbio says​

But in the process, restored the FUNDAMENTAL TRUTH of Christianity, that the Catholics had long forgotten (with their phony "We are the CHURCH" BECAUSE WE SAY SO heresy).
'''
Rev.3:1
And unto the angel of the church in Sardis
write;
These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God,
and the seven stars;
I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest,
and art dead.

2 Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain,
that are ready to die:
for I have not found thy works perfect before God.

3 Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard,
and hold fast, and repent.
If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief,
and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.

4 Thou hast a few names even in Sardis
which have not defiled their garments;
and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.

5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment;
and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life,
but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

--------------------------- clothed in white raiment; ----------------------
Rev. 6:9
And when he had opened the fifth seal,
I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God,
and for the testimony which they held:

10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying,
How long, O Lord, holy and true,
dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?

11 And white robes were given unto every one of them;

Now comes the Reformation and the Door opened out of Rome

Rev.3:7
And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia
write;
These things saith he that is holy, he that is true,
he that hath the key of David,
he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;

8 I know thy works:
behold, I have set before thee an open door,
and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength,
and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.

9 Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan,
which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie;
behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet,
and to know that I have loved thee.

Last edited:
Today marks arguably one of the most important events in the last half-millennium - the 500 year anniversary of the Diet of Worms. On April 16th, 1521, Martin Luther was summoned to appear before the Holy Roman Empire to recant his faith in the gospel of salvation by faith alone, which is clearly taught in Scripture (Romans 1:16-17; 4:3-5; 5:1, etc.) Instead, on April 18th, 1521, Luther gave his famous speech:

"Unless I am convinced by the testimony of the Scriptures or by clear reason (for I do not trust either in the pope or in councils alone, since it is well known that they have often erred and contradicted themselves), I am bound by the Scriptures I have quoted and my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and will not recant anything, since it is neither safe nor right to go against conscience. May God help me. Amen."

Regardless on one's opinion of Luther, he no doubt changed the world for the better, even for Catholics, who would not know the Bible even to the extent they do now, not to mention countless of benefits, both religious & secular, that we all take for granted on a daily basis.
------ Eber; the 1st Hebrew
Gen.10:25
And unto Eber were born two sons:
the name of one was Peleg;
for in his days was the earth divided;

and his brother's name was Joktan.

26 And Joktan begat
#1: Almodad,
#2: and Sheleph,
#3: and Hazarmaveth,
#4: and Jerah,
#5: And Hadoram,
#6: and Uzal,
#7: and Diklah,
#8: And Obal,
#9: and Abimael,
#10: and Sheba,
#11: And Ophir,
#12: and Havilah,
#13: and Jobab:
all these were the sons of Joktan.

30 And their dwelling was from Mesha,
as thou goest unto Sephar a mount of the east.

Luther would not the too thrilled with heterodoxy that came our of the “Reformation” Baptist/Presbyterians or America Evangelicalism. In fact there was only one real reformation~ the Lutheran reformation.
If it could be demonstrated from Scripture alone from exegesis of the text that the views that differed between Baptists/Prebyterians vs. Lutheranism, he would have submitted to Scripture.

If it could be demonstrated from Scripture alone from exegesis of the text that the views that differed between Baptists/Prebyterians vs. Lutheranism, he would have submitted to Scripture.
And that is what occurred minus those doctrines which had always been considered heresy in all of their forms from the time of Irenäeus and were consequently non issues.

Luther would not the too thrilled with heterodoxy that came our of the “Reformation” Baptist/Presbyterians or America Evangelicalism. In fact there was only one real reformation~ the Lutheran reformation.
That is a rather inept understanding of the Reformation movements that were occurring throughout the Latin Church beginning, I believe, with the Lollards of the Atlantic Isles in the 14th century. We could even take it back further with the internal church issues of conciliarism vs. Papal primacy.

That is a rather inept understanding of the Reformation movements that were occurring throughout the Latin Church beginning, I believe, with the Lollards of the Atlantic Isles in the 14th century. We could even take it back further with the internal church issues of conciliarism vs. Papal primacy.
The Evangelical or Lutheran Reformation was primarily one of Christ centered doctrine rather than one primarily of moral reform.

You really need to learn how to get a grip on reality instead of supposing you can always turn away from facts by tickling your itching ears and telling yourself whatever it is you want to hear to comfort yourself.
na, that is the RCC that do that, watch out they will come and take you away then burn you, as they do,.,..,.,.,.,.., ooooops no matches!!!

Back