9 Points of the One True Church

dberrie2020

<sigh>

Please stick to the OP.

The topic of this thread has been defined.
You don't get to sabotage it and steal it for your own purposes.

Either answer the OP, or get out.
Wasn't this a point in your OP?

Theo1689 said:
  1. God is unchanging (Mal. 3:6), He is the same yesterday, today, and forever (Heb. 13:8). He has always been perfect, omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient. God has never had to “learn” anything new, as He is omniscient, and knows the end from the beginning (Isa. 46:10). He has never “progressed”, as He has never been anything less than God. He will never “progress”, for He is already perfect and divine.
If God is the same yesterday and today--was He the author of the family unit and marriage?

I ask that in reference and conjunction with the point in your OP which indicates temporary relationships here of family.

dberrie2020

Are they 1st century prophets, or 21st century prophets?
Wasn't this your claim?

Theo1689 said:
Mormons constantly MISINTERPRET that passage.

The "foundation of THE apostles and prophets" is referring to (1) the OT prophets, and (2) the first century 12 Apostles, which were NOT replaced (with the single exception of Judas).

You stated the prophets were "OT prophets".

My question to you---

What about these NT prophets? The ones which existed years after the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ?

Acts 15:32---King James Version (KJV)
32 And Judas and Silas, being prophets also themselves, exhorted the brethren with many words, and confirmed them.

Acts 21:10-11---King James Version (KJV)
10 And as we tarried there many days, there came down from Judaea a certain prophet, named Agabus.
11 And when he was come unto us, he took Paul's girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said, Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.

Acts 11:27---King James Version (KJV)
27 And in these days came prophets from Jerusalem unto Antioch.

Acts 13:1----King James Version (KJV)
1 Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.

Theo1689

Wasn't this a point in your OP?

If God is the same yesterday and today--was He the author of the family unit and marriage?

Sorry, but I don't answer random, irrelevant questions.

If you have a point to make, use indicative statements.
Otherwise, you obviously have no point to make.

I ask that in reference and conjunction with the point in your OP which indicates temporary relationships here of family.

I would simply direct you to the BIBLE, which you obviously (and constantly) IGNORE and RUN AWAY from:

"The true Christian church teaches that marriage is a temporary, earthly relationship":

Rom. 7:2 For a married woman is bound by law to her husband while he lives, but if her husband dies she is released from the law of marriage. 3 Accordingly, she will be called an adulteress if she lives with another man while her husband is alive. But if her husband dies, she is free from that law, and if she marries another man she is not an adulteress.

1Cor. 7:39
A wife is bound to her husband as long as he lives. But if her husband dies, she is free to be married to whom she wishes, only in the Lord.

"There is no marriage in heaven":

Matt. 22:30 For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.

"Actually, there is only one eternal marriage, only one 'marriage in heaven', that is taught in the Bible, and that is the metaphorical marriage of the Lamb (Rev. 19:7-9), Christ the bridegroom, and the church, His bride (2 Cor. 11:2)":

Rev. 19:7 Let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory,
for the marriage of the Lamb has come,
and his Bride has made herself ready;
8 it was granted her to clothe herself
with fine linen, bright and pure”—
for the fine linen is the righteous deeds of the saints.
Rev. 19:9 And the angel said to me, “Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.” And he said to me, “These are the true words of God.”

2 Cor. 11:2 For I feel a divine jealousy for you, since I betrothed you to one husband, to present you as a pure virgin to Christ.

But of course, you will simply RUN AWAY from all these passages, and REFUSE to address them.

Mormons HATE the Bible!

dberrie2020

So this is a PERFECT example of Mormons RUNNING AWAY from Biblical Scripture.
I gave a number of citations in that point, and you ignored ALL of them.

Please address the following:

Deut. 4:35 Unto thee it was shewed, that thou mightest know that the LORD he is God; there is none else beside him.

Deut. 4:39 Know therefore this day, and consider it in thine heart, that the LORD he is God in heaven above, and upon the earth beneath: there is none else.

Deut. 32:39   See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me:
So--how do you comport those scriptures to the testimony of the NT apostles--which testified to God the Son being separated out from the "one God" of the Biblical NT:

1 Corinthians 8:6---King James Version (KJV)
6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

1 Timothy 2:5--King James Version (KJV)
5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Ephesians 4:4-6--King James Version (KJV)

4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

And then--The Savior claiming had a God and Father also?

1 Peter 1:3---King James Version (KJV)
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

John 20:17---King James Version (KJV)
17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

Ephesians 1:17---King James Version (KJV)

17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

Hebrews 1:9---King James Version (KJV)
9 Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

Theo1689

So--how do you comport those scriptures to the testimony of the NT apostles--which testified to God the Son being separated out from the "one God" of the Biblical NT:

6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

17 Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:

9 Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

<sigh>

If you want me to respond to YOUR passages, you need to show respect and honesty and address the passages we've been quoting to you for YEARS now:

Deut. 4:35 Unto thee it was shewed, that thou mightest know that the LORD he is God; there is none else beside him.

Deut. 4:39 Know therefore this day, and consider it in thine heart, that the LORD he is God in heaven above, and upon the earth beneath: there is none else.

2 Sam. 7:22 Wherefore thou art great, O LORD God: for there is none like thee, neither is there any God beside thee, according to all that we have heard with our ears.

2 Sam. 22:32 For who is God, save the LORD? and who is a rock, save our God?

1 Kings 8:60 That all the people of the earth may know that the LORD is God, and that there is none else.

1 Chr. 17:20 O LORD, there is none like thee, neither is there any God beside thee, according to all that we have heard with our ears.

Isa. 43:10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Isa. 44:6 Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God. 7 And who, as I, shall call, and shall declare it, and set it in order for me, since I appointed the ancient people? and the things that are coming, and shall come, let them shew unto them. 8 Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea,there is no God; I know not any.

Is. 45:5 I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:

Is. 45:21 Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the LORD? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me. 22 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.

Isa. 46:9 Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me,

Joel 2:27 And ye shall know that I am in the midst of Israel, and that I am the LORD your God, and none else: and my people shall never be ashamed.

Mark 12:32 And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he:

1Cor. 8:4 As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.

James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

Even the Book of Mormon teaches that only one god exists!:

Alma 11:27-29
Alma 11:44
Alma 14:5
Moses 1:6

But you keep RUNNING AWAY from all the passages that contradict your false theology.

Mormons HATE the Bible!

And they play this stupid game where we have to respond to THEIR verses, but they never have to respond to ours.

I have to love the blatant double standard here! :D :D

dberrie2020

If you want me to respond to YOUR passages, you need to show respect and honesty and address the passages we've been quoting to you for YEARS now:

Fair enough. The point I was attempting to make is--there is an anomaly(contradiction)in the scriptures concerning the Godhead between the OT scriptures you post--and the NT scriptures--which was a greater revelation, IMO.

So--this is the NT witness of the Godhead:

Too long--continued in next post

dberrie2020

<sigh>

OK--to continue our discussion to an end, hopefully.(very compressed--we can discuss details and cites later)

As the NT scriptures testify to--the NT witness separates out God the Son from the "one God"--never do the NT apostles combine God the Son into the "one God"--and to add confusion to that--the very God of the OT--Jesus Christ--then testifies He also has a God and Father--which the NT apostles confirm.(see my last post)

So--what's going on?

As Michael Heiser has stated--when God the Son, in the OT--stated He was the only One--Christ was referring to His uniqueness as the Son of God. The only Heir. The only God of Israel whereby they could obtain eternal life.

So--what's your explanation?

Theo1689

Fair enough.

Then why do you continue to IGNORE the passages I've been quoting to you for years now?

The point I was attempting to make is--there is an anomaly(contradiction)in the scriptures concerning the Godhead between the OT scriptures you post--and the NT scriptures--which was a greater revelation, IMO.

You are just like other atheists (yes, Mormons are effectively atheists).

Atheists try to find "contradictions in the Bible" just like you do, but their fallacious behaviour is that they ASSUME a particular interpretation which CREATES a non-existent "contradiction", and refuse to charitably assume an interpretation that does not make a contradiction.

The fact of the matter is that the OT and NT are NOT "contradictory".

The OT teaches ONLY ONE GOD EXISTS.
The NT teaches ONLY ONE GOD EXISTS.
The ECF's taught ONLY ONE GOD EXISTS.

Modern (true) Christianity teaches ONLY ONE GOD EXISTS.

If you want to misinterpret the NT to allegedly teach "multiple (true) gods exists", you are perfectly write to belief a false teaching, but don't expect anyone with an I.Q. over 50 to agree with you.

No mention of "two gods" or "multiple gods".
#FAIL.

#FAIL.

#FAIL.

#FAIL.
#FAIL.

#FAIL.
#FAIL.

Theo1689

As the NT scriptures testify to--the NT witness separates out God the Son from the "one God"--never do the NT apostles combine God the Son into the "one God"--and to add confusion to that--the very God of the OT--Jesus Christ--then testifies He also has a God and Father--which the NT apostles confirm.(see my last post)

You don't understand the Scriptures.
The NT does NOT deny that Jesus is God.
The NT AFFIRMS that Jesus is God (John 1:1, 8:58, 20:28, Rom. 9:5, Tit. 2:13, 2 Pet. 1:1, etc. etc. etc.

The NT simply denies that Jesus is the FATHER.
That is NOT the same thing.

So one less "brick in the wall". ;) ;) ;)

So--what's going on?

As Michael Heiser has stated--

Don't care about "Michael Heiser".
He has gone on record that Mormons have MISREPRESENTED his work, and even so, his opinion is not Scripture.

So--what's your explanation?

I REJECT the opinion of heretics like Mormons and Michael Heiser.
I believe SCRIPTURE.
I'm sorry that you don't.

dberrie2020

Then why do you continue to IGNORE the passages I've been quoting to you for years now?

You are just like other atheists (yes, Mormons are effectively atheists).

Atheists try to find "contradictions in the Bible" just like you do, but their fallacious behaviour is that they ASSUME a particular interpretation which CREATES a non-existent "contradiction", and refuse to charitably assume an interpretation that does not make a contradiction.

The fact of the matter is that the OT and NT are NOT "contradictory".

The OT teaches ONLY ONE GOD EXISTS.
The NT teaches ONLY ONE GOD EXISTS.
The problem with that is--the "one God" of the NT is God the Father only--with God the Son being separated out from the NT "one God". You do believe Jesus Christ was the One speaking in your posted OT scriptures?

Care to engage those scriptures?

dberrie2020

The NT AFFIRMS that Jesus is God (John 1:1, 8:58, 20:28, Rom. 9:5, Tit. 2:13, 2 Pet. 1:1, etc. etc. etc.

It goes further than that--the NT separates out God the Son from the "one God" of the Biblical NT--Jesus Christ claiming the "one God" was His God and Father.

Theo1689

The problem with that is--the "one God" of the NT is God the Father only--

You are simply wrong.

Please quote where the Scripture explicitly says, "the Father ONLY".
Show me the word, "ONLY".
Don't simply ASSUME it.

with God the Son being separated out from the NT "one God".

He is separated out from God the FATHER.
Both the Father and the Son are the God.
Both the Father and the Son are the Lord.

But to distinguish between them, Paul's usual terminology is to refer to the Father as "God" (which does not deny His Lordship) and to refer to the Son as "Lord" ("kurios"), which does not deny His deity.

You are simply making an unsubstantiated ASSUMPTION which contradicts explicit Scripture.

You do believe Jesus Christ was the One speaking in your posted OT scriptures?

This is actually a fascinating exegesis by Paul, since he is projecting the Father and the Son back to the Sh'ma, Deut. 6:4, which is the Jewish daily prayer that only one God exists:

Deut. 6:4 “Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one.

The Father is "God".
The Son is "LORD". (which in the Hebrew Scriptures was the name of God, "YHWH").
Together they are the ONE TRUE GOD of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

But you wouldn't understand this.

Yes, the Father is God.
Yes, only one God exists.
Yes, Jesus is the God-man, the one mediator between the Father and sinful man.

This is 100% perfectly consistent with mainstream Christianity.

This actually contradicts the false Mormon teaching of "plural gods".

"Father" here doesn't refer specifically to "God the Father", it is a Hebraism meaning "Creator" (cf. Isa. 64:8, Mal. 2:10).

So yes, Amen!
There is only one God and Creator ("Father") of mankind. Amen!
There is only one Lord, Amen!
There is only one faith (not the Mormon one), Amen!
There is only one baptism (not the Mormon one), Amen!

This is 100% perfectly consistent with mainstream Christianity.

Care to engage those scriptures?

Prediction:

You will summarily reject everything I've said, proclaim a hollow "victory", and then repost the same "proof-texts" with the same garbage interpretation, and repeat ten million times simply to waste everyone's time.

I've ENGAGED the Scriptures.
We're DONE.

If you ask again, the answer will be the same, so don't waste our time.
Thank you.

Theo1689

Please do give us any NT scripture which specifically designates God the Son as the "one God".

You are playing the stupid game of "exact words" (even though you REJECT that criterion when YOU make your lousy arguments). I absolutely LOVE your blatant double standards!

You are asking me to defend TWO truths, namely:

1) Only one god exists (Deut. 4:35,39, Deut. 32:39, 1 Kings 8:60, Ps. 86:10, Isa. 43:10, Isa. 44:6,8, Isa. 45:5,21,22, Isa. 46:9, Mark 12:32, 1 Cor. 8:4, etc. etc.)

2) Jesus is god/deity (Isa. 9:6, John 1:1,14, 8:58, 20:28, Rom. 9:5, Tit. 2:13, 2 Pet. 1:1, etc. etc.)

If both of those are true (and they are), then "Jesus is the one God" must necessarily be true as well.

dberrie2020

If both of those are true (and they are), then "Jesus is the one God" must necessarily be true as well.
If Jesus is the "one God"--then why was He separated out from the "one God" of the Biblical NT?

Never did any NT apostle include Jesus Christ into the "one God" of the NT. In fact--the apostles testified the "one God" was the God and Father of God the Son.

Bonnie

Funny thing... A poster can't edit his own OP.
I just noticed that the numbered list was wrong, but I can't fix it.

Oh well....

Sorry, but I don't answer random, irrelevant questions.

If you have a point to make, use indicative statements.
Otherwise, you obviously have no point to make.

I would simply direct you to the BIBLE, which you obviously (and constantly) IGNORE and RUN AWAY from:

"The true Christian church teaches that marriage is a temporary, earthly relationship":

Rom. 7:2 For a married woman is bound by law to her husband while he lives, but if her husband dies she is released from the law of marriage. 3 Accordingly, she will be called an adulteress if she lives with another man while her husband is alive. But if her husband dies, she is free from that law, and if she marries another man she is not an adulteress.

1Cor. 7:39
A wife is bound to her husband as long as he lives. But if her husband dies, she is free to be married to whom she wishes, only in the Lord.

"There is no marriage in heaven":

Matt. 22:30 For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.

"Actually, there is only one eternal marriage, only one 'marriage in heaven', that is taught in the Bible, and that is the metaphorical marriage of the Lamb (Rev. 19:7-9), Christ the bridegroom, and the church, His bride (2 Cor. 11:2)":

Rev. 19:7 Let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory,
for the marriage of the Lamb has come,
and his Bride has made herself ready;
8 it was granted her to clothe herself
with fine linen, bright and pure”—
for the fine linen is the righteous deeds of the saints.
Rev. 19:9 And the angel said to me, “Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.” And he said to me, “These are the true words of God.”

2 Cor. 11:2 For I feel a divine jealousy for you, since I betrothed you to one husband, to present you as a pure virgin to Christ.

But of course, you will simply RUN AWAY from all these passages, and REFUSE to address them.

Mormons HATE the Bible!
Hi Theo. Great thread and great posts from you! Here we once again see from the opposition most of the Mormon debate tactics I have listed:

1. Attempt to deflect from the OP
2. Change the subject--often drastically
3. Repeat the same old questions, over and over again, and....
4. Pretend we have not answered their questions or dealt with their points, to make it appear that they have won the debate
5. Ignore our points and Bible verses that put their quoted bible verses into proper perspective, that show that they have misinterpreted and/or misunderstood what the Bible was talking about
6. Make ad homs against us. So far, this has not happened on these new boards, but it has in the past. I know, because I have been the receiver of such remarks, by one or two Mormons on here, though 2 have not been on here for over a year or more. However, this tactic IS rare, and strikes me as being a last resort when the other tactics don't work.

I would say the first 5 out of 6 have been demonstrated on here byvthe opposition...would you not say so?

And talk about illogic! Just because God is eternal and does not change does not mean marriage on earth is going to be unchanged and continued after death. We will still know our saved loved ones in heaven, and will be with them in heaven for eternity, but our relationships will be different. ALL saved souls will be the Bride of the Lamb in the new heaven and new earth.

Theo1689

If Jesus is the "one God"--then why was He separated out from the "one God" of the Biblical NT?

Never did any NT apostle include Jesus Christ into the "one God" of the NT. In fact--the apostles testified the "one God" was the God and Father of God the Son.

<sigh>

Asked and answered already (about 15 minutes ago).

Here is where I answered this post:

Just like I predicted, you simply IGNORED every answer I gave, and then repeated the same bogus question, and will continue to do so ten million times.

Stop wasting our time.

Bonnie

That is NOT the same thing.

So one less "brick in the wall". ;) ;) ;)

Don't care about "Michael Heiser".
He has gone on record that Mormons have MISREPRESENTED his work, and even so, his opinion is not Scripture.

I REJECT the opinion of heretics like Mormons and Michael Heiser.
I believe SCRIPTURE.
I'm sorry that you don't.
Ah, dragging in Heiser, again. I have noticed that Mormons tend to fall back on him, when backed into a corner, or unable to defend their heretical beliefs. As I have pointed out, Heiser is NOT the Bible. He is just one scholar. Not all biblical scholars agree with his conclusions.

Bonnie

You are playing the stupid game of "exact words" (even though you REJECT that criterion when YOU make your lousy arguments). I absolutely LOVE your blatant double standards!

You are asking me to defend TWO truths, namely:

1) Only one god exists (Deut. 4:35,39, Deut. 32:39, 1 Kings 8:60, Ps. 86:10, Isa. 43:10, Isa. 44:6,8, Isa. 45:5,21,22, Isa. 46:9, Mark 12:32, 1 Cor. 8:4, etc. etc.)

2) Jesus is god/deity (Isa. 9:6, John 1:1,14, 8:58, 20:28, Rom. 9:5, Tit. 2:13, 2 Pet. 1:1, etc. etc.)

Say, that sounds like New Math--if A equals B, and B equals C, then A equals C! :)