A bizarre definition of morality from the guy who loves to tell us he's more moral than the God whom he supposedly doesn't believe exists

Furion

Correct.

"Enough people think it's right" = "enforced", but
"enforced" =/= "correct" and
"enough people think it's right" =/= "correct".
Might makes right.

Tell the guy sitting in jail you are not right, but by your might you take away all the man has or will ever have. It's like you are a little god or something.

treeplanter

Short term memory loss, eh?

Your words:

The vast, overwhelming majority of us ARE NOT socio/psychopaths like the individuals that you and SteveB keep harping on about...
I was stating a fact, stiggy

It is true that the vast, overwhelming majority of us are not socio/psychopaths

How do you then make the leap that I am claiming that majority rules??
Bizarre...

treeplanter

Stiggy: "Who determines what is good and just?"

Treeplanter: "We do"

Stiggy: "And Ted Bundy and Hitler and Pol Pot and Bill Cosby and OJ and Jack the Ripper too, right?"

Treeplanter: "Yes, that's right, stiggy. Guess what, though? The vast, overwhelming majority of us ARE NOT socio/psychopaths like the individuals that you and SteveB keep harping on about..."

My claim is that humanity determines what is right and wrong
You brought up the existence of a few psychos as if that nullifies humanity's collective judgement and/or negates humanity's ability to judge
I reassured you that there aren't many psychos and the rest of us {vast majority} are doing just fine as we collectively determine right from wrong

And not only did you think this exchange warranted a new thread, but you embarrassed yourself by fundamentally misunderstanding the exchange

stiggy wiggy

How do you then make the leap that I am claiming that majority rules??

Easy:

Stiggy: "And Ted Bundy and Hitler and Pol Pot and Bill Cosby and OJ and Jack the Ripper too, right?"

Treeplanter: "Yes, that's right, stiggy. Guess what, though? The vast, overwhelming majority of us ARE NOT socio/psychopaths like the individuals that you and SteveB keep harping on about..."

treeplanter

Easy:

Oh, I see!

Because I used the word MAJORITY that must mean that my position is that majority rules

And your position must be that Hitler was a good and just ruler because you did, after all, use the word HITLER...

treeplanter

Ho
Exactly. If "humanity" determines that rape is not wrong, therefore it's not, right?
Humanity doesn't differentiate between right and wrong in a nilly willy fashion
Humanity's differentiation of right from wrong depends upon a standard, stiggy

The standard is this:
To consciously and purposefully inflict needless harm upon another is wrong

If humanity devolved to the point where the vast, overwhelming majority of us were socio/psychopaths - rape would still be wrong because the standard still exists and rape, by definition, still qualifies as a conscious and purposeful infliction of needless harm upon another person

If it helps you to do so - you may think of this 'standard' as God
{except the standard never, ever contradicts itself...}

stiggy wiggy

Your words:

"Humanity's differentiation of right from wrong depends upon a standard, stiggy"

So I ask what determines that condition, and you say humanity. So humanity determines humanity's standard. How does it determine that?

(You've really pointed yourself into a corner this time, didn't you?)

treeplanter

Your words:

"Humanity's differentiation of right from wrong depends upon a standard, stiggy"

So I ask what determines that condition, and you say humanity. So humanity determines humanity's standard. How does it determine that?

(You've really pointed yourself into a corner this time, didn't you?)
Yes, humanity determines humanity's standard!

What are you not understanding?

A man might have a standard for what he is looking for in a potential female companion
Perhaps that standard is that she can weigh no more than 120 pounds

A woman might have a standard for what she looking for in a potential male companion
Perhaps that standard is that he can be no less than 6 foot tall

Who do you think has determined these standards?
The man in question did!
The woman in question did!

How do we, humanity, determine our collective standard that to consciously and purposefully inflict needless harm upon others is wrong?

Probably a combination of pure empathy and a desire not to be, ourselves, needlessly harmed

Our human standard benefits everyone, stiggy
Can you not see that?