A bizarre definition of morality from the guy who loves to tell us he's more moral than the God whom he supposedly doesn't believe exists

4thrite

Which is better:

1. Have your creation experience suffering in order to be set free from corruption, or
2. Not allow the corruption in the first place
Was it possible for Adam and Eve to not eat of the tree? And then to people the earth with sinless uncorrupted descendants, extending the garden to fill the earth?

But the instant that they ate, corruption began. What would you have God do?

john

Eightcrackers

Was it possible for Adam and Eve to not eat of the tree? And then to people the earth with sinless uncorrupted descendants, extending the garden to fill the earth?
I don't see why not.
But the instant that they ate, corruption began.
Why?
Because Yahweh knowingly set the universe up in such a way that corruption would ensue. He never gets to smack his forehand and say "boy... I never saw that one coming!"
What would you have God do?
Not set the universe up that way?

treeplanter

Actually what he said was: no human father would subject his children to pain and suffering in order to alleviate their pain and suffering. My response was to rebut that claim.
Not to belabor the point, but if I were to ignore the totality of what was said and selectively edit docphin's post to "no human father" then I could argue that docphin was suggesting that there are no human fathers to begin with

Bit silly, don't you think?

Clearly, docphin was, like I said, pointing out that it is ridiculous to suggest that a perfect Father, like God, would subject His children to needless harm when even an imperfect father, like yourself and most every other human being, knows better than to do so

I understand the nuance. But I wonder if he could have done as you suggest and (at the same time) rebut the claim that we are better off living independently of him, because that was the claim that set the human family on the course that it is on down to this day. And, if so, how?

john
So, what you are saying is that:

God inflicting needless harm upon us = God proving to us that we need Him
and, conversely:
God choosing not to inflict needless harm upon us = God leaving open the door that leads us to think that we can live without Him?

Am I correctly understanding your position??

Last edited:

treeplanter

But the instant that they ate, corruption began. What would you have God do?
I would have God hold individuals accountable for their own actions and NOT hold their innocent progeny accountable for actions that they did not commit!

Choosing to corrupt an entire race due the actions of the 1st two representatives is immoral

*Not that Adam and Eve, themselves, did anything wrong in the 1st place...

treeplanter

When you've departed from acceptable standards.

You claim moral superiority all the time, from a inferior position. I don't know if that's coo coo or normal for the atheist. But it is inferior nonetheless.
What acceptable standards have I departed from?
Name them, Jimmy

I claim moral superiority to God
What you consistently ignore, though, is that I make the same claim on behalf of most every human being on earth - yourself included!

treeplanter

Have you counted your sins, woody?
I don't care about what God calls sin
Much of what God calls sin is not, in any way, shape, or form immoral

Besides, your claim is that I sin so it is your burden to list these sins - not mine

Then you FAIL.
How have I failed by way of asserting that myself and most every other human being are morally superior to God?

Furion

I don't care about what God calls sin
Much of what God calls sin is not, in any way, shape, or form immoral

Besides, your claim is that I sin so it is your burden to list these sins - not mine
Have you or not? lol
How have I failed by way of asserting that myself and most every other human being are morally superior to God?
Such lofty boasts are funny, you're funny.

Furion

No, I have not

Didn't I tell you that I really don't care about so-called 'sin'?
I care about morality
Two entirely separate things, Jimmy!
Not really.

Do you think that argument will actually work?

"Hey God, I'm better than you!"