A bunch of anti-calvinist-no-shows

Matt Slick

CARM President
Staff member
Because of the anti-Calvinists sentiment among some people here I offered to do a Q&A session with them. I gave several days' notice and finally, I opened up a live chat room and pasted the link in these forums as well as on my personal Facebook page and the CARM Facebook page.

They didn't show up in the entire two-hour discussion.

I find it difficult to take any anti-Calvinist seriously if he or she does not want to have a live discussion. Now, I know that some people can't make it because of scheduling. But when absolutely nobody shows up from here and dialogues with me, well, it just tells me not to take them seriously.

What a disappointment.

I wonder what excuses they offered if any.

tsk tsk tsk

Redeemed

I dropped by on Facebook for a while when you were talking to Eddie Van Halen. I enjoyed it but then I'm not an anti-Calvinist. And I enjoy listening to someone who knows what they're talking about. So thanks for all you do, I know a lot of people myself included appreciate it.

TomFL

Because of the anti-Calvinists sentiment among some people here I offered to do a Q&A session with them. I gave several days' notice and finally, I opened up a live chat room and pasted the link in these forums as well as on my personal Facebook page and the CARM Facebook page.

I find it difficult to take any anti-Calvinist seriously if he or she does not want to have a live discussion. Now, I know that some people can't make it because of scheduling. But when absolutely nobody shows up from here and dialogues with me, well, it just tells me not to take them seriously.

What a disappointment.

tsk tsk tsk
Once again

Why is an excuse needed ?

There is no obligation anyone follow where you determine

As noted there is more than enough on the board you could address

bigthinker

What a disappointment.

tsk tsk tsk
Perhaps they don't want to have a live discussion with you?

zerinus

What a disappointment.

tsk tsk tsk
LOL! Take a look post #30 (my last post) in the thread, "Perseverance of the Saints," in which I presented my last scriptural argument against the Calvinistic false doctrine of "once saved, always saved" (which was not replied to), and you will understand why I prefer to debate in writing rather than by voice. That kind of complex scriptural argument is best presented in written text than in a voice dialogue, especially at a distance over the Internet. Feel free to respond to it if you like.

TomFL

What a disappointment.

tsk tsk tsk
A question Matt

What makes you think a live forum in a limited time frame and with multiple voices vying for input is a superior venue to what we already have here on this board

I submit the current setup is the superior one and allows for more research and accurate exegesis than does your live call in

Other than that there is much here already that can be addressed

How does anything you state address objections already posted here

Matt Slick

CARM President
Staff member
A question Matt

What makes you think a live forum in a limited time frame and with multiple voices vying for input is a superior venue to what we already have here on this board

I submit the current setup is the superior one and allows for more research and accurate exegesis than does your live call in

I don't buy it. I think the anti's are afraid of real, live dialogue.

Theo1689

A question Matt

If you need time "for more research", and "exegesis", then that means you haven't yet done enough research (by your own admission), and haven't yet done sufficient exegesis (by your own admission) to be prepared for the debate.

That means you've already decided on your theology before studying it out.
It's easy to dodge issues and points in a written forum (as you and others have done SO many times), you don't have that privilege in a live debate, especially one with a "cross-examination" Q&A section, where many say the heart of the debate takes place.

But you go ahead, and give your excuses for not showing up.

Tell me... Did Jesus and Paul debate the issues in a written forum, or did they do so face to face? :)

TomFL

If you need time "for more research", and "exegesis", then that means you haven't yet done enough research (by your own admission), and haven't yet done sufficient exegesis (by your own admission) to be prepared for the debate.

It's easy to dodge issues and points in a written forum (as you and others have done SO many times), you don't have that privilege in a live debate, especially one with a "cross-examination" Q&A section, where many say the heart of the debate takes place.

Tell me... Did Jesus and Paul debate the issues in a written forum, or did they do so face to face? :)
Says the man who never addresses a thing

and imagines ignoring discussion is defending Calvinism

What a joke

TomFL

I don't buy it. I think the anti's are afraid of real, live dialogue.
Using your logic should one conclude you afraid of responding here

It works both ways Matt

Is this really the type of discussion you wish to have ?

'

Last edited:

Matt Slick

CARM President
Staff member

Good point. Jesus and Paul met them face to face and had live discussions.

The anti's here, seem more willing to hide behind nick names than come out into the light and talk.

Theo1689

Says the man who never addresses a thing

Actually, I have addressed MANY things.

The issue is when the "opponent" tries to sabotage discussion, and is being unreasonable, that makes discussion pointless.

I think you should be ashamed of the fact that I have more success having discussions with Mormons, than I do with self-proclaimed "Christians". And I have to wonder why you don't spend more time sharing the gospel with those who actually NEED it, instead of simply attacking people you have admitted you believe are actually saved.

and imagines ignoring discussion is defending Calvinism

Of course, that's a misrepresentation of me.
Those who call themselves Christians should NOT be misrepresenting others.
They shouldn't HAVE to.

What a joke

Your posts certainly are.

TomFL

Good point. Jesus and Paul met them face to face and had live discussions.

The anti's here, seem more willing to hide behind nick names than come out into the light and talk.
The posts are here

Why the reluctance to address them here. ?

TomFL

Actually, I have addressed MANY things.

The issue is when the "opponent" tries to sabotage discussion, and is being unreasonable, that makes discussion pointless.

I think you should be ashamed of the fact that I have more success having discussions with Mormons, than I do with self-proclaimed "Christians". And I have to wonder why you don't spend more time sharing the gospel with those who actually NEED it, instead of simply attacking people you have admitted you believe are actually saved.

Of course, that's a misrepresentation of me.
Those who call themselves Christians should NOT be misrepresenting others.
They shouldn't HAVE to.

Your posts certainly are.
Not that you can ever prove

You would have to actually address issues rather than avoid discussion

bigthinker

LOL That right there is some serious I'm talking serious big thinking:ROFLMAO:

But there really isn't anything to study or research right? Its a discussion of ideas; a comparison/contrast of different ideas. Its not as if anyone has direct knowledge or experience with either side of the topic. Its not unlike arguing the differences between Batman and Superman to see which is true.
If I'm wrong, how so?

TomFL

But there really isn't anything to study or research right? Its a discussion of ideas; a comparison/contrast of different ideas. Its not as if anyone has direct knowledge or experience with either side of the topic. Its not unlike arguing the differences between Batman and Superman to see which is true.
If I'm wrong, how so?
Well lets see

Has anyone memorized every scripture reference word for word., Complete lexical definitions, exact context including perhaps multiple chapters of critical verses

The claim

is rather shortsighted

One can have a general idea but there is great value in specifics

Theo1689

If I'm wrong, how so?

Are you a Calvinist or an Arminian?

Theo1689

Well lets see

Has anyone memorized every scripture reference word for word., Complete lexical definitions, exact context including perhaps multiple chapters of critical verses

Well, since you asked, yes.
If there is a debate on a particular topic, people can (and have) done their homework. It's called being prepared. And you don't even have to memorize the Scriptures word for word, if you remember the citations, you can look them up in a couple of seconds.

(Since you asked...)

The claim

is rather shortsighted

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.