A day is like a thousand years

Formersda

Seventh day Adventists like to quote 2 Peter 3:8 to prove that the day in Daniel 8:14 literally means a thousand years.
So Adventists think that each day to God is a thousand years, heard over and over in the many years I was in that church.
Based on that premise that to God a day is a thousand years does that mean that each “day” of creation is a thousand years?
If your going to apply a text to one thing it has to be applied to the whole bible, the bible cannot contradict itself.
When Jesus asked in John 11:9 are there not twelve hours in a day? Did either Jesus lie or what He really meant was a thousand years. Because Jesus is God so He would know that a day is really a thousand years not twelve hours.

Last edited:

RiJoRi

Seventh day Adventists like to quote 2 Peter 3:8 to prove that the day in Daniel 8:14 literally means a thousand years.
So Adventists think that each day to God is a thousand years, heard over and over in the many years I was in that church.
Based on that premise that to God a day is a thousand years does that mean that each “day” of creation is a thousand years?
If your going to apply a text to one thing it has to be applied to the whole bible, the bible cannot contradict itself.
When Jesus asked in John 11:9 are there not twelve hours in a day? Did either Jesus lie or what He really meant was a thousand years. Because Jesus is God so He would know that a day is really a thousand years not twelve hours.
Odd. I wonder why they would skip the rest of the verse:
"Don’t forget this fact, dear friends: With the Lord a single day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a single day." 🤔

--Rich

SDAchristian

What a poor memory from your SDA days !!!

Maybe a reason, you are not SDA anymore ???

Yours in Christ, Michael

Formersda

What a poor memory from your SDA days !!!

Maybe a reason, you are not SDA anymore ???

Yours in Christ, Michael
So I’m wrong then? Then Micheal you need to get over here in the Uk and educate the pastors and elders.
How do YOU prove the year day principle?

Would you like the contact details of my mother who is an elder and a retired bible worker who along with my pastor father would teach this? Would you like the local elders contact details?

Icyspark

Hi Formersda,

For someone who 😢 about proof texting. All. The. Time. Isn't it amazing how much you allow yourself to do what you condemn in others? It's actually worse than proof texting cuz you're not even posting the actual text, just the reference.

Please, tell us again how bad you believe proof texting is. :rolleyes:

Formersda

Hi Formersda,

For someone who 😢 about proof texting. All. The. Time. Isn't it amazing how much you allow yourself to do what you condemn in others? It's actually worse than proof texting cuz you're not even posting the actual text, just the reference.

Please, tell us again how bad you believe proof texting is. :rolleyes:
Hi Icy,

As this is an Adventist proof text how can I not quote it? Would you like to put it in context?

I was showing an Adventist proof text I wasn’t proof texting myself.
Would you like the actual text? Ok
2Peter 3:8
But do not let this one fact escape your notice, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years is like one day.

There is the verse.

Icyspark

Hi Icy,

As this is an Adventist proof text how can I not quote it? Would you like to put it in context?

I was showing an Adventist proof text I wasn’t proof texting myself.
Would you like the actual text? Ok
2Peter 3:8
But do not let this one fact escape your notice, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years is like one day.

There is the verse.

Hi Formersda,

More and more I think all you're here for is for trolling.

Icyspark

yes your correct, please note the trolling icy did on another discussion board then sits back and accuses me and now you.

Baseless accusations on lack of ability to discuss.

Hi Formersda,

Haha🥱 Another of your own baseless accusations. Feel free to point out where I supposedly trolled anyone. This is a typical trolling technique by the critics of Adventism. They accuse Adventists of doing what they themselves are doing. I guarantee you and @Yodas_Prodigy will not provide any example of what you accuse me of doing.

Would you like to answer any of the 9 questions I asked you which you avoided addressing for 20 times? Your trolling on that particular issue started--when after about the 17th time asking--you randomly started insisting you answered my questions even though you never answered a single one of them. See, I can supply evidence for my claims. If you weren't trolling, please show the jury of your peers where you answered even a single one of my nine questions.

Last edited:

Icyspark

Another Trolling accusation... You're Gem...

Hi Yodas_Prodigy,

If a person doesn't wish to be held accountable for their rolling trolls, then they shouldn't troll in the first place.

You started a thread titled, "SDA and Hebrews 1:1-2" and attempted to use this text in isolation to challenge the idea that prophets and prophecy came to an end. Your initial position rejected prophets because your imposed personal opinion interpreted "in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son" as meaning no prophets after Jesus. Then after I challenged your private opinion and showed that you'd have to reject the prophetic book of Revelation you embraced the idea that, ok, maybe I'll allow that apostles could have this gift. But then you were shown that non apostles were identified as prophets. To this you again applied a non biblical response and insisted that these other prophets were somehow different from true prophets. Nothing offered but your opinion. To your credit at least you admitted that your belief was solely based on your humble opinion (see below):

IMHO, The office of the prophet changed after Christ and the Apostles...

Sorry, but you don't get to reject prophets based on your humble opinion--especially those prophets included in the Bible!

Then you pivoted again to insisting that prophets had to have their writings included in Scripture. To which I showed you how you'd need to take that up with Jesus as He called John the Baptist as "a prophet and more than a prophet," yet John has no writings of his writings included in Scripture. FAIL.

Your responses to me jumped from speculation to personal opinion to conjecture and then you started trolling when you responded to my calls for Scripture by rejecting all the Scripture which overruled your opinion, speculation and conjecture and went back to your original appeal to Hebrews 1:1-2 and said:

Let's start with scripture... Your wish was my command...

1 Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world.

Capital Letters for emphasis, not yelling...

Long ago ... God spoke to our fathers by the prophets... How did God communicate to "our Fathers"? Through the Prophets...
BUT, IN THE LAST DAYS HE HAS SPOKEN TO US BY HIS SON... How did God speak to us in the last days? BY HIS SON...

That means, he stopped speaking to us through Prophets... BUT ... BY HIS SON...

If this isn't trolling then what would call it? You're outright rejecting everything which confronts your errant position and acting like it doesn't exist.

The only reason I respond to issues like this is because you make Adventism appear golden in comparison. Your challenge to Adventism is shown to be biased and without merit, yet you insist you have something to offer.

Below are some questions for you to consider in relation to your random assertions about who prophets are and what they can and cannot do:
  1. Was John the Baptist a prophet?
  2. Did John the Baptist have any writings included in Scripture?
  3. Did Paul write that God placed in the CHURCH prophets?
  4. If God placed in the CHURCH prophets, where does Paul or any other biblical author indicate He unplaced them?
  5. Why would God place prophets in the church if He already stopped speaking to us through prophets?
  6. Does Paul write that we are to eagerly desire spiritual gifts?
  7. What singular spiritual gift does Paul say we are to ESPECIALLY desire?
  8. Where do you find that this one gift Paul says we are to ESPECIALLY desire is no longer to be desired?
  9. According to your private interpretation of Hebrews 1:1-2, God "stopped speaking to us through Prophets...BUT BY HIS SON." How in the world do you dance around your imposed belief here while yet embracing the prophets recorded in the New Testament who continued to speak to us and Paul's identification that God placed prophets (plural) in the CHURCH?
I will guess that you will ignore all these questions, yet anyone who reads them and sees you don't have any response other than to appeal to your humble opinion will realize that your opinion isn't worth anything unless it is informed by the Word of God.

I pray this helps.

Icyspark

Your a Gem... [💎 Thanks! Why is it you won't answer my questions? 🧑‍🦯]

Second Time:

Below are some questions for you to consider in relation to your random assertions about who prophets are and what they can and cannot do:
  4. If God placed in the CHURCH prophets, where does Paul or any other biblical author indicate He unplaced them?
  5. Why would God place prophets in the church if He already stopped speaking to us through prophets?
  8. Where do you find that this one gift Paul says we are to ESPECIALLY desire is no longer to be desired?
  9. According to your private interpretation of Hebrews 1:1-2, God "stopped speaking to us through Prophets...BUT BY HIS SON." How in the world do you dance around your imposed belief here while yet embracing the prophets recorded in the New Testament who continued to speak to us and Paul's identification that God placed prophets (plural and implied ongoing) in the CHURCH?

Yodas_Prodigy

Second Time:

9. According to your private interpretation of Hebrews 1:1-2, God "stopped speaking to us through Prophets...BUT BY HIS SON." How in the world do you dance around your imposed belief here while yet embracing the prophets recorded in the New Testament who continued to speak to us and Paul's identification that God placed prophets (plural and implied ongoing) in the CHURCH?

Long ago ... God spoke to our fathers by the prophets... How did God communicate to "our Fathers"? Through the Prophets...
BUT, IN THE LAST DAYS HE HAS SPOKEN TO US BY HIS SON... How did God speak to us in the last days? BY HIS SON...

JonHawk

Second Time:

Why would God place prophets in the church if He already stopped speaking to us through prophets?
They stiffened their necks, And would not hear.
Yet You had patience with them, And testified against them by Your Spirit in Your prophets. Nehemiah 9:29-31
Does Paul write that we are to eagerly desire spiritual gifts?
Therefore be patient, forbearing one another through love; be diligent to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace, being one body and one spirit just as you also were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all.
What singular spiritual gift does Paul say we are to ESPECIALLY desire?
But to each one of us grace was given according to the measure of Christ’s gift. Therefore He says:

“When He ascended on high, He led captivity captive, And gave gifts to men.”
Where do you find that this one gift Paul says we are to ESPECIALLY desire is no longer to be desired?
And He who descended is Himself also He who ascended far above all the heavens, so that He might fill all things.
And He gave some as apostles, some as prophets, some as evangelists, some as pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the building up of the body of Christ; until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ; Eph 4
According to your private interpretation of Hebrews 1:1-2, God "stopped speaking to us through Prophets...BUT BY HIS SON."

Of this salvation the prophets have inquired and searched carefully, who prophesied of the grace that would come to you, searching what manner of time, the Spirit of Christ who was in them was predicting the Messiah’s sufferings and glorious new covenant;
[their prophecies regarding grace] were not [meant] for themselves but for you, as partakers in these things [the death, resurrection, and glorification of Jesus Christ] which have now been witnessed to you by those who preached the gospel to you by the power of the Holy Spirit; 1 Peter 1:10-12

Icyspark

Hi Yodas_Prodigy,

That is your extremely narrow interpretation of that text which does violence to the rest of the New Testament. That you cannot harmonize your imposed belief with those texts which contradict it indicates your opinion is held in higher esteem than the Word of God. The mere fact that you cannot engage in any of the nine questions below indicates you see the error in your position but you cling to it in spite of knowing better.

Third Time:

Answer these questions, I believe even Yoda could. <(°_°)>

Yodas_Prodigy

It’s not a matter of hardening a heart. Its a matter of viewing the office of prophet differently… I don’t see a need for the OT prophet. Like I said before, those who buy in to the need for a prophet seem to run in trouble… Every group who has a prophet have questionable doctrines and practices… Every one….

JonHawk

Hi Yodas_Prodigy,

That is your extremely narrow interpretation of that text which does violence to the rest of the New Testament. That you cannot harmonize your imposed belief with those texts which contradict it indicates your opinion is held in higher esteem than the Word of God. The mere fact that you cannot engage in any of the nine questions below indicates you see the error in your position but you cling to it in spite of knowing better.

Third Time:

He allowed no man to oppress them, And, He reproved kings for their sakes, saying,
“Do not touch My anointed ones, And do My prophets no harm.”
Sing to the Lord, all the earth; Proclaim the good news of His salvation from day to day. 1 Chronicles 16:21-23
Yoda's inspiration leaves a lot to be desired:

“Soon will I rest, yes, forever sleep. Earned it I have. Twilight is upon me, soon night must fall.” – Yoda

What fellowship can light have with darkness? 15 What harmony can there be between Christ and the [force]? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? 16 What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God;
2 Cor 6

Yodas_Prodigy

Hi Yodas_Prodigy,

Third Time:

Okay, first let me apologize for coming across cavalier. That wasn’t my intention. I am out of practice when it comes to regular apologetics. So my questions and comments weren’t well planned. Again, please accept my apology.

That doesn’t mean we will be singing kum by yah together… I am sure we will have energetic discussions…

So, let me be clear on what I was trying to convey.

The Old Testament Prophet was the mouth piece of God. His very words were treated as scripture. That is, we no longer have need for the OT Prophet… The OT Prophet is who Jesus Christ replaced and closed out. The last OT Prophet was John the Baptist. He was the greatest of all the Prophets per Jesus Christ. The OT Prophet was part of the Law and Justice. In the Old Testament, prophets pronounced warnings and judgements upon people and nations who were in disobedience to God. The OT Prophet was able to stand alone without other gifted people. OT prophets were expected to speak the PERFECT, inspired word of God.

So, now, let’s look at the New Testament Prophet. In the New Testament church, prophetic words are subject to being weighed. (1 Cor 14:29, 1 Thess 5:20-22)

“Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others judge. But if anything is revealed to another who sits by, let the first keep silent. For you can all prophesy one by one, that all may learn and all may be encouraged. And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.” (1 Corinthians 14:29-32).

In the NT, the prophetic ministry is a servant ministry in the church. This is also true of the prophetic office. As Paul describes in Eph., the part of a prophetic ministry is to equip the church. This includes encouraging and empowering Christians to hear from God, as well as releasing others who have prophetic gifts.

The fruit of NT prophetic ministry is unity. The portrait that Paul gives is of a healthy body, each part unique but working and growing together to be like Christ.

By the NT definition, I know many prophetic ministries. Using the OT definition, every example today has multiple doctrinal challenges and practical issues.