A majority of atheists I talk with will try to say the Bible does not say...

I said...
A majority of atheists I talk with will try to say the Bible does not say homosexuality is wrong, rather than saying the Bible does say homosexuality is wrong but I don't believe the Bible so who cares what the Bible says.

...to which an atheist responded with...
I don't want to stop you being a Christian, but I may well wish to stop you using the excuse that your God is homophobic to account for your own attitudes. It is therefore much more effective to say that Christians don't have to be homophobic, because it isn't a requirement of your religion, than it is to say that you must stop being a Christian because it makes you a homophobe.

So just to clarify, atheists can you tell me...

1) Does the Bible say the universe was created in six days?
2) Does the Bible say homosexuality is an abomination?

HINT:

Exodus 20:11... For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Leviticus 20:13... If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

Furion

I think the Lord was clear that we all come to Him with lots of baggage.

According to the law of Moses, homosexual acts are wrong, along with many other behaviors.

Christ acts in the realm beyond our frail flesh.

What is deadly, evil, poisonous to body and soul, is to reject God's loving embrace because of one's pride.

Whateverman

I've never seen a single atheist say "the Bible does not say homosexuality is wrong", and believe me, I've been talking with and to atheists for possibly longer than you've been alive.

Roughly, yes

Yes

---

The point of the atheist you quoted is that many-a-Christian use scripture to justify the Christian's own fervid anti-homosexuality viewpoints. The problem is that the same book declares lying is just as bad - all while that same Christian fails to start/join anti-lying organizations, or lobby their local politicians to push anti-lying legislation.

There's no scriptural basis for the way many Christians respond to one sin but not the other (with one obvious exception).

Last edited:
I've never seen a single atheist say "the Bible does not say homosexuality is wrong", and believe me, I've been talking with and to atheists for possibly longer than you've been alive.

Thank you for your reply.

I would like to hear from all the atheists on this forum...

Nouveau

The Bible says a lot of stupid things, and those two are indeed among them.

Electric Skeptic

If taken literally, yes.
It doesn't actually mention homosexuality. It mentions homosexual acts and indeed calls them an abomination. I want to make that point clear because going by what the bible actually says, a celibate homosexual is not in contradiction with it.

Authentic Nouveau

If taken literally, yes.

It doesn't actually mention homosexuality. It mentions homosexual acts and indeed calls them an abomination. I want to make that point clear because going by what the bible actually says, a celibate homosexual is not in contradiction with it.
Once again you will get so upset when asked to prove it. Show us the scripture.
Celibate and homosexual are words that are not in my Bible.

1 Kings 15:12-14

(ASA)​

12 And he took away the sodomites out of the land, and removed all the idols that his fathers had made.
13 And also Maachah his mother, even her he removed from being queen, because she had made an idol in a grove; and Asa destroyed her idol, and burnt it by the brook Kidron.
14 But the high places were not removed: nevertheless Asa's heart was perfect with the Lord all his days.

The word Homophobic is based on lies and rendered as a form of hatred.

There is no evidence he was afraid of Sodomites

Authentic Nouveau

Whateverman America says

The point of the atheist you quoted is that many-a-Christian use scripture to justify the Christian's own fervid anti-homosexuality viewpoints. The problem is that the same book declares lying is just as bad - all while that same Christian fails to start/join anti-lying organizations, or lobby their local politicians to push anti-lying legislation.

There's no scriptural basis for the way many Christians respond to one sin but not the other (with one obvious exception).
But your "fervid" hostility to our President is Halal?

Then the Lord said, “How great is the outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah and how very grave their sin! I must go down and see whether they have done altogether according to the outcry that has come to me; and if not, I will know.”

5wize

Yes:
Exodus 20:11... For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.
No
Leviticus 20:13... If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

Authentic Nouveau

Yes:

No

The Sodomite apologists say Ezekiel reverses the alleged deed of Sodomy

Ezekiel 16:49-50

49 “‘Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. 50 They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen.

They call it the sin of inhospitality.

Thanks for posting Leviticus which spells out "detestable things"

Komodo

Yes.
More precisely, it says that practicing homosexuals are committing abominations: but basically, yes.

(Possible quibble: this is assuming that “The Bible says X” means “Claim X can be found in the Bible.”)

Temujin

I said...

HINT:

I honestly don't give a fig what the Bible says. It is a big book, full of stuff, much of it contradictory.

When I see Christians, particularly the leaders in faith of the main branches of Christianity, welcoming and embracing homosexuals, then it is not unreasonable to say that you don't have to be a homophobe to be a Christian. There are homosexual bishops, who raise fewer eyebrows than female bishops. There are celebrations of same sex marriage in some (not all) churches.

Those Christians who are not homophobes use the Bible and its teachings to explain their position. If you have a problem with that, take it up with them.

Temujin

I said...

HINT:

Regarding the six days, yes that's what the Bible says. It also mentions various magic tricks, talking bushes and the like, some fairly implausible geological events and other phenomena that simply didn't happen. That's fine. People believe all kinds of stuff. Just don't prevent facts from being taught to children.

I don't say we should teach children that the Bible is wrong. Just teach children the facts of the age of the universe and of the earth, and how those facts were determined. If they want to believe the Bible instead, so be it. A career in the real world, with a science bent, does not await. Destroying opportunities for children in order to prop up the ludicrous beliefs of their parents, is child abuse.

The Pixie

I said...

HINT:

Worth pointing out that the Bible also says eating shellfish is an abomination.

Lev 11:10 And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:
11 They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination.

Most Christians rationalise this away by saying that was the "old covenant". And yet, they do not say the same of homosexuality. Odd that.

5wize

Regarding the six days, yes that's what the Bible says. It also mentions various magic tricks, talking bushes and the like, some fairly implausible geological events and other phenomena that simply didn't happen. That's fine. People believe all kinds of stuff. Just don't prevent facts from being taught to children.

I don't say we should teach children that the Bible is wrong. Just teach children the facts of the age of the universe and of the earth, and how those facts were determined. If they want to believe the Bible instead, so be it. A career in the real world, with a science bent, does not await. Destroying opportunities for children in order to prop up the ludicrous beliefs of their parents, is child abuse.
Have to disagree on that point Tem. When a Christian takes on their faith, they take on a capital debt to God and the damnation in hellfire of the entire world of non-Cristian humanity. I won't allow anybody to think that poison anymore than I would allow a racist or a homophobe peace in their thoughts.

Bob1

Roughly, yes

Yes

---

They like to use the salad bar approach to the bible - picking and choosing which verses/laws to obey and which to push under the rug and conveniently forget/ignore.

Temujin

Have to disagree on that point Tem. When a Christian takes on their faith, they take on a capital debt to God and the damnation in hellfire of the entire world of non-Cristian humanity. I won't allow anybody to think that poison anymore than I would allow a racist or a homophobe peace in their thoughts.
Here in the UK, religion is generally a genteel and private affair. I have worked with people for several years before discovering by chance that they are devout Christians. I have no problem with a faith that encourages kindness and charity. I have no problem with any faith really, as long as no one is harmed and participation is consensual.

I think I may think differently in the hard-sell, in-your-face, aggressive marketing atmosphere of US religiosity. Here, talking openly about one's faith would guarantee that a politician would not be elected. No one likes a god-botherer

5wize

Here in the UK, religion is generally a genteel and private affair. I have worked with people for several years before discovering by chance that they are devout Christians. I have no problem with a faith that encourages kindness and charity. I have no problem with any faith really, as long as no one is harmed and participation is consensual.

I think I may think differently in the hard-sell, in-your-face, aggressive marketing atmosphere of US religiosity. Here, talking openly about one's faith would guarantee that a politician would not be elected. No one likes a god-botherer
Here there is unfortunately a fundamentalist strain that preaches loudly on street corners and on the campuses and the first thing they say when they clear their throat and effect that first raise of the bible in their hand shaking it to the heavens is "Where do you want to spend eternity sinner"?

I would like to spend it unplugging their mic everywhere it shows up.

Electric Skeptic

They like to use the salad bar approach to the bible - picking and choosing which verses/laws to obey and which to push under the rug and conveniently forget/ignore.
One of my favourite bits of hypocrisy in this regard is divorce. Christians don't care about it at all. The President has - three times, unrepentantly - commited adultery (according to Jesus)? Who cares?

Jesus condemned it in the strongest possible terms, whereas he never said a word about homosexuality or abortion. Hypocrisy? Say it ain't so!