A Mormon's interpretation of Psalm 2

Aaron32

This is completely unbiblical, nonsense, and heresy

Psalm 2 refutes your mormon theology that Jesus is Jehovah

Psalm 2:7
7 "I will declare the decree: The LORD (Yahweh is speaking to His Son) has said to Me, 'You are My Son, Today I have begotten You.

I do not speak for my Church, but I am a Mormon who believe Jehovah is Jesus Christ, not the Trinity. I pray those who read have a desire to seek to understand, and can acknowledge what is written, before seeking to be understood.

Background of Psalm 2:
Psalm 1 is contrasting the wicked from the righteous. "Blessed is the person who delights in the law of the Lord" They are planted by the Lord, and bring forth fruits in due season, and they prosper.
The ungodly blow away like chaff in the wind. In the context of James 1:6, one may say they lack faith, and can't withstand God's judgement. If the wind is God's judgment, the ungodly are blown away.

Psalm 2 is asking why the ungodly rage, and have vain imaginations.
Is psalm 2 directed only to kings and rulers? Not necessarily, the counsel given against the worldly applies to all.
Likewise, if Jehovah is Jesus, who are the Lord's anointed? That would be anyone sealed by the Holy Spirit. (2 Cor 1:20-22; 1 John 2:27)
In verse 3, David is acknowledging how the wicked think they can somehow destroy God's laws (which they despise), and thus be free of God's restrictive standards. Incurring God's wrath and judgement.

---
Sidenote:
God did not initially intend Israel to have a king. The prophet Samuel, counseled against it:

1 Sam 8:
19 ¶ Nevertheless the people refused to obey the voice of Samuel; and they said, Nay; but we will have a king over us;
20 That we also may be like all the nations; and that our king may judge us, and go out before us, and fight our battles

The Israelites never learned their lesson from Exodus 20, they preferred someone to be a middleman rather than deal with the Lord directly.

Exodus 20:
18 ¶ And all the people saw the thunderings, and the lightnings, and the noise of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking: and when the people saw it, they removed, and stood afar off.
19 And they said unto Moses, Speak thou with us, and we will hear: but let not God speak with us, lest we die.
20 And Moses said unto the people, Fear not: for God is come to prove you, and that his fear may be before your faces, that ye sin not.
21 And the people stood afar off, and Moses drew near unto the thick darkness where God was.

This is a vital concept to understand in Mormonism.
D&C 84:
23 Now this Moses plainly taught to the children of Israel in the wilderness, and sought diligently to sanctify his people that they might behold the face of God;
24 But they hardened their hearts and could not endure his presence; therefore, the Lord in his wrath, for his anger was kindled against them, swore that they should not enter into his rest while in the wilderness, which rest is the fulness of his glory.
25 Therefore, he took Moses out of their midst, and the Holy Priesthood also;
26 And the lesser priesthood continued, which priesthood holdeth the key of the ministering of angels and the preparatory gospel

Those of Telestial Glory rely on the arm of the flesh:
D&C 76:
98 And the glory of the telestial is one, even as the glory of the stars is one; for as one star differs from another star in glory, even so differs one from another in glory in the telestial world;
99 For these are they who are of Paul, and of Apollos, and of Cephas.
100 These are they who say they are some of one and some of another—some of Christ and some of John, and some of Moses, and some of Elias, and some of Esaias, and some of Isaiah, and some of Enoch;
101 But received not the gospel, neither the testimony of Jesus, neither the prophets, neither the everlasting covenant.

Bottom line: Israel is commanded and prophesied to be a nation of priests and kings. (Exodus 19:6; Rev 5:9-10)
---
Psalm 2 continues:
6 Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.

Remember, this is David who wrote this, who was literally King of Israel. Nevertheless, David was a mortal man, and found redemption in the Messiah, and understood the spiritual understanding of Israel/Zion in an Eternal sense. Therefore, "the saved" can proclaim these words just as He did.

Cross reference with this Psalm 24:
3 Who shall ascend into the hill of the Lord? or who shall stand in his holy place?
4 He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart;

Which gives us the complete context of the next verse in Psalms 2:
7 I will declare the decree: the Lord hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.

This is speaking of the coronation day of God's elect. When are we begotten of Christ? The day we receive "the might change of heart" via the Holy Ghost, and covenant to follow Him:

Mosiah 5:
7 And now, because of the covenant which ye have made ye shall be called the children of Christ, his sons, and his daughters; for behold, this day he hath spiritually begotten you; for ye say that your hearts are changed through faith on his name; therefore, ye are born of him and have become his sons and his daughters.

Is this not the exact promise given in John 1:12?

Verse 8: Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance, and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession.

Keeping in mind Psalm 2 began with the vain imaginations of the ungodly, Compare Psalms 37:
9 For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the Lord, they shall inherit the earth.
10 For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be.
11 But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.

Verse 9: Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in pieces like a potter’s vessel.
"[T]hem" is referring to God's enemies, and
Thanks to the Book of Mormon, we know for certainty the rod of irod is "the word of God" (1 Ne 15:23-25) See also Rev 2:26-28.

The remaining verses give a warning in of fearing and serving the Lord. Thinking we can break God's commandments, and cast away God's judgement, by somehow silencing God's servants, is vain and foolish indeed. Attempting to do so, we only break ourselves.

Last edited:
I do not speak for my Church, but I am a Mormon who believe Jehovah is Jesus Christ, not the Trinity. I pray those who read have a desire to seek to understand, and can acknowledge what is written, before seeking to be understood.

Psalm 2 is asking why the ungodly rage, and have vain imaginations.
Is psalm 2 directed only to kings and rulers? Not necessarily, the counsel given against the worldly applies to all.
Likewise, if Jehovah is Jesus, who are the Lord's anointed? That would be anyone sealed by the Holy Spirit. (2 Cor 1:20-22; 1 John 2:27)
In verse 3, David is acknowledging how the wicked think they can somehow destroy God's laws (which they despise), and thus be free of God's restrictive standards. Incurring God's wrath and judgement.

Psalm 2 continues:
6 Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.

Remember, this is David who wrote this, who was literally King of Israel. Nevertheless, David was a mortal man, and found redemption in the Messiah, and understood the spiritual understanding of Israel/Zion in an Eternal sense. Therefore, "the saved" can proclaim these words just as He did.

Cross reference with this Psalm 24:
3 Who shall ascend into the hill of the Lord? or who shall stand in his holy place?
4 He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart;

Which gives us the complete context of the next verse in Psalms 2:
7 I will declare the decree: the Lord hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee.

This whole post is nothing but mormon damage control, because Psalm 2 and Psalm 110 expose their theology about Jesus as nothing but heresy!

This whole Psalm is about God's Son, Jesus

Psalm 2:1-8
1 Why do the nations rage, And the people plot a vain thing?
2 The kings of the earth set themselves, And the rulers take counsel together, Against the LORD and against His Anointed (King of Kings), saying,
3 "Let us break Their bonds in pieces And cast away Their cords from us."
4 He who sits in the heavens shall laugh; The LORD shall hold them in derision.
5 Then He shall speak to them in His wrath, And distress them in His deep displeasure:
6 "Yet I have set My King (Jesus is the King of Kings - The true King of Israel) On My holy hill of Zion."
7 "I will declare the decree: The LORD (Yahweh - God The Father) has said to Me, 'You are My Son (Jesus), Today I have begotten You.
8 Ask of Me, and I will give You The nations for Your inheritance, And the ends of the earth for Your possession.

Revelation 11:15 expounds upon verse 8

15 Then the seventh angel sounded: And there were loud voices in heaven, saying, "The kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our Lord and of His Christ, and He shall reign forever and ever!"

So the whole mormon theology that God the Father is Elohim and Jesus is Jehovah is proven to be unbiblical by Psalm 2 and Psalm 110

Mormon Deception, Lies, and more deception!

RCM

This whole post is nothing but mormon damage control, because Psalm 2 and Psalm 110 expose their theology about Jesus as nothing but heresy!
This is no true Scotsman fallacy.
Rather than state what is wrong specifically about my post, locating the logical error. You just repeat your talking points.
Can you give any justification why your intepretation is better than mine?
This whole Psalm is about God's Son, Jesus

Psalm 2:1-8
1 Why do the nations rage, And the people plot a vain thing?
2 The kings of the earth set themselves, And the rulers take counsel together, Against the LORD and against His Anointed (King of Kings), saying,
3 "Let us break Their bonds in pieces And cast away Their cords from us."
4 He who sits in the heavens shall laugh; The LORD shall hold them in derision.
5 Then He shall speak to them in His wrath, And distress them in His deep displeasure:
6 "Yet I have set My King (Jesus is the King of Kings - The true King of Israel) On My holy hill of Zion."
7 "I will declare the decree: The LORD (Yahweh - God The Father) has said to Me, 'You are My Son (Jesus), Today I have begotten You.
8 Ask of Me, and I will give You The nations for Your inheritance, And the ends of the earth for Your possession.
I'm pretty sure I've addressed everything that's bolded here.

Yet, you're saying Yehweh is the Father, then? Because I thought Jehovah was the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Can you clarify?

Revelation 11:15 expounds upon verse 8
15 Then the seventh angel sounded: And there were loud voices in heaven, saying, "The kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our Lord and of His Christ, and He shall reign forever and ever!"
That's true. And yet, we become joint-heirs with Him, right?
Romans 8:
16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

So the whole mormon theology that God the Father is Elohim and Jesus is Jehovah is proven to be unbiblical by Psalm 2 and Psalm 110
You really haven't proven anything here. You've just repeated your talking point.

Mormon Deception, Lies, and more deception!
No, I'm not trying to deceive anyone. I'm just sharing my perspective.

Lol! This guy is really full of himself.
Life sure would be a lot easier if Trinitarians didn't think they cornered the market on Christianity. Then we wouldn't have to deal with the accusations of deceit, and just have an objective discussion about what the Bible means.

Just and observation here. The problem with discussing the Bible with a mormon, like you, is everything you believe about the Bible is based on the belief the BoM, D&C and PoGP are superior to the Bible. Ergo, you cannot discuss the Bible without this bias and consequently what you claim the Bible says and what a Christian says God says in the Bible are generally two different things. Your's based on the primacy of your books and that the Bible is inferior and ours based on the Bible alone.

Just and observation here. The problem with discussing the Bible with a mormon, like you, is everything you believe about the Bible is based on the belief the BoM, D&C and PoGP are superior to the Bible. Ergo, you cannot discuss the Bible without this bias and consequently what you claim the Bible says and what a Christian says God says in the Bible are generally two different things. Your's based on the primacy of your books and that the Bible is inferior and ours based on the Bible alone.
Sure. I can admit my bias. Likewise, I find Christians are biased by their belief by the doctrine of the Trinity.

Sure. I can admit my bias. Likewise, I find Christians are biased by their belief by the doctrine of the Trinity.

And that is why Christians and mormons will always be adversaries. We serving the God of the Bible and you serving a god from the mind of Joe Smith. And yet we still care about your eternal soul and pray you will see the truth of what we tell you and walk away from the mormon cult.

And that is why Christians and mormons will always be adversaries. We serving the God of the Bible and you serving a god from the mind of Joe Smith.
Clearly, u all are serving the God of the Roman Catholic church which,.if properly defined, is a mystery which know one knows who or what that God is.

And yet we still care about your eternal soul and pray you will see the truth
Back at ya, buddy.

COUNSEL GIVEN BY PRESIDENT CHARLES W. PENROSE

Now, some of our brethren have taken up quite a discussion as to the fulness of the everlasting gospel. We are told that the Book of Mormon contains the fulness of the gospel, that those who like to get up a dispute, say that the Book of Mormon does not contain any reference to the work of salvation for the dead and that there are many other things pertaining to the gospel that are not developed in that book, and yet we are told that the book contains "the fulness of the everlasting gospel." Well, what is the fulness of the gospel? You read carefully the revelation in regard to the three glories, Section 76, in the Doctrine and Covenants, and you find there defined what the gospel is. There God, the Eternal Father, and Jesus Christ, his Son, and the Holy Ghost, are held up as the three Persons in the Trinity—the one God, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost, all three being one God. When people believe in that doctrine and obey the ordinances which are spoken of in the same list of principles, you get the fulness of the gospel for this reason: If you really believe so as to have faith in our Eternal Father and in his Son, Jesus Christ, the Redeemer, and will hear him, you will learn ail about what is needed to be done for the salvation of the living and redemption of the dead.

(General Conference Report, April 1922, pp. 27-28.)

COUNSEL GIVEN BY PRESIDENT CHARLES W. PENROSE

Now, some of our brethren have taken up quite a discussion as to the fulness of the everlasting gospel. We are told that the Book of Mormon contains the fulness of the gospel, that those who like to get up a dispute, say that the Book of Mormon does not contain any reference to the work of salvation for the dead and that there are many other things pertaining to the gospel that are not developed in that book, and yet we are told that the book contains "the fulness of the everlasting gospel." Well, what is the fulness of the gospel? You read carefully the revelation in regard to the three glories, Section 76, in the Doctrine and Covenants, and you find there defined what the gospel is. There God, the Eternal Father, and Jesus Christ, his Son, and the Holy Ghost, are held up as the three Persons in the Trinity—the one God, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost, all three being one God. When people believe in that doctrine and obey the ordinances which are spoken of in the same list of principles, you get the fulness of the gospel for this reason: If you really believe so as to have faith in our Eternal Father and in his Son, Jesus Christ, the Redeemer, and will hear him, you will learn ail about what is needed to be done for the salvation of the living and redemption of the dead.

(General Conference Report, April 1922, pp. 27-28.)
Yes! I love Penrose! But I think you're misinterpreting what he is saying. He is not making a statement on the Godhead verses the Trinity. He's talking about the fullness of the gospel found in the Book of Mormon, and understanding how the work for the dead naturally follows when we understand the fullness of the Gospel. Ironically, he's using the relation between the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost in relation to the 3 degrees of Glory - again, in light of temple ordinances - resulting in Zion (being of one heart, one mind) because they live the Law of Consecration.

Yes! I love Penrose! But I think you're misinterpreting what he is saying. He is not making a statement on the Godhead verses the Trinity. He's talking about the fullness of the gospel found in the Book of Mormon, and understanding how the work for the dead naturally follows when we understand the fullness of the Gospel. Ironically, he's using the relation between the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost in relation to the 3 degrees of Glory - again, in light of temple ordinances - resulting in Zion (being of one heart, one mind) because they live the Law of Consecration.

Good grief... ?

He's stuck in the misunderstanding about what a Person is in English and in our theology. A person and a being are the same thing in our parlance. I order to avoid the obvious, our critics believe that a person is not a being.

so much for the "rare find". eh?
Answers to Gospel Questions Vol. 3 pp 98-99 under Counsel given by President Charles W. Penrose

Now, some of our brethren have taken up quite a discussion as to the fulness of the everlasting gospel. We are told that the Book of Mormon contains the fulness of the gospel, that those who like to get up a dispute, say that the Book of Mormon does not contain any reference to the work of salvation for the dead, and that there are many other things pertaining to the gospel that are not developed in that book, and yet we are told that the book contains "the fulness of the everlasting gospel." well what is the fulnesspel? You read carefully the revelation in regard to the three glories, section 76, in the Doctrine and Covanants, and you find there defined what the gospel is, There God the Eternal Father, and Jesus Christ, his son, and the Holy Ghost, are held up as the three persons in the Trinity-the one God the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost, all three being one God. When people believe in that doctrine and obey the ordinances which are spoken of in the same list of principals, you get the fulness of the gospel for this reason:

General Conference Report, April 1922, pp 27-28.

I am a Mormon who believe Jehovah is Jesus Christ... [and] if Jehovah is Jesus, who are the Lord's anointed? That would be anyone sealed by the Holy Spirit. (2 Cor 1:20-22; 1 John 2:27)
How do you reconcile this interpretation of the psalm and your equation of Jesus with "Jehovah" with its use by New Testament authors, for example in Acts 4:25-26; 13:33 and Heb 1:5; 5:5, whereby the anointed of "Jehovah" is Jesus?

Kind regards,
Jonathan

Back