A Posting Hypothetical

Electric Skeptic

Imagine, if you well, this behaviour of a hypothetical (purely imaginary) poster:
- never actually contributes anything to any discussion
- incessantly asks every person making any claim (even trivial ones such as "You said...") to support them
- ignores any attempt by anybody to actually support their claims, merely insisting they support every statement made in their support
- refuses to even attempt to support their own claims
- obviously has no interest in actual debate/discussion
- insists that others hold beliefs that they do not, in fact, hold
- unable to use a dictionary correctly

Could anybody hypothesise the reason behind such behaviour? What could such a poster possibly get out of posting in this manner?

Nouveau

Mental illness or severe personality disorder would be my guess.

What I really don't understand is why anyone would bother replying to such a poster.

The ignore function is there for a reason.

Electric Skeptic

Mental illness or severe personality disorder would be my guess.

What I really don't understand is why anyone would bother replying to such a poster.

The ignore function is there for a reason.
You're right. If such a hypothetical poster were to ever exist, the best course would surely be for everyone to just ignore them.

Authentic Nouveau

Imagine, if you well, this behaviour of a hypothetical (purely imaginary) poster:
- incessantly asks every person making any claim (even trivial ones such as "You said...") to support them
- ignores any attempt by anybody to actually support their claims, merely insisting they support every statement made in their support

Could anybody hypothesise the reason behind such behaviour? What could such a poster possibly get out of posting in this manner?
Look up the definition of "mirror" You may find your buddy.

Nice thread about your imagination.

The same dictionary Behavior is not spelled behaviour.
It is ,,,,,,,,,,Hypothesize.

No need to thank me.

The Pixie

I suspect that some who did that has a need to feel she is doing the Lord's work, and especially to be seen to be doing it. On CARM, that means battling the atheists any way she can. And as she is (hypothetically) neither bright nor knowledgeable, this is all she can do.

She knows if she presents an argument it will be shot down in flames, it she presents any evidence it will be show to be flawed. But she has to do something! And she has to be seen to be doing something! This is the best she can do. Hypothetically.

Whateverman

Yes.

But what if there were more of these hypothetical posters than not? In that case there would only be a handful not on ignore.
Hence the reason I've drifted away from this forum. I will endlessly give nods to the few Christians I enjoy having discussions with here; if there's any hope for Christianity online, it's with the minority who actually try to conduct themselves according to Christian values (ie. all of them, not just a tiny subset).

But my ignore list is so large that this place is almost turning into an atheist forum, because it's rare to see a response from someone who calls themselves a Christian.

ps. not TERRIBLY rare, but infrequent enough that the reason I started posting here (avoidance of an atheist/skeptic echo chamber) is starting to fall apart.

pps. a working ignore list is still a vast improvement over the last forum version