A quote from Heisenberg, father of Quantum Physics

inertia

View attachment 654

Enjoy!

cite:
The first gulp from the glass of natural sciences will turn you into an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you.
Nice find.

Heisenberg was a devout Christian and lived as a Lutheran. "We can console ourselves that the good Lord God would know the position of the [subatomic] particles, thus He would let the causality principle continue to have validity," in his last letter to Albert Einstein.

In addition to discovering the third pillar of physics, he sabotaged the Nazi atomic bomb program.

Last edited:

e v e

Nice quote from the letter to Einstein. I hadn’t seen that one. ❤️

Apparently being open to God is not incompatible with the the idea of science.

Rahab

: Sooner-or-later-every-soul-will-be-forced-to-face-the-facts.
: When-2+2=4-anger-leaves-and-peace-follows.
: Math=Win.

TeabagSalad

It's a nice quote, but not one I had heard before. As @inertia pointed out he was a devout Christian for his entire life.

I was concerned that it didn’t seem to fit with his writing style. A little investigation and it seems that he probably didn't actually say that exact quote. It seems to have been added by a biographer.

Heisenberg is one of my "physics heroes", I have read a fair amount about his life and I don't think he would have said that sort of quote. His faith was so strong that his study of physics wouldn't have affected his belief in God, even the weird world of quantum physics.

He was quite private about his beliefs and was very respectful of other people's beliefs. I think he understood that people would be affected by an understanding of Quantum Mechanics in quite profound ways, so he would never be so disparaging of atheism, nor so dismissive of his own Christian beliefs.

Still, as a student of Physics and quantum mechanics, it's a nice quote. Which should be attributed to who actually created it.

e v e

It's a nice quote, but not one I had heard before. As @inertia pointed out he was a devout Christian for his entire life.

I was concerned that it didn’t seem to fit with his writing style. A little investigation and it seems that he probably didn't actually say that exact quote. It seems to have been added by a biographer.

Heisenberg is one of my "physics heroes", I have read a fair amount about his life and I don't think he would have said that sort of quote. His faith was so strong that his study of physics wouldn't have affected his belief in God, even the weird world of quantum physics.

He was quite private about his beliefs and was very respectful of other people's beliefs. I think he understood that people would be affected by an understanding of Quantum Mechanics in quite profound ways, so he would never be so disparaging of atheism, nor so dismissive of his own Christian beliefs.

Still, as a student of Physics and quantum mechanics, it's a nice quote. Which should be attributed to who actually created it.
thats why i posted the thread, because he was christian. : )

inertia

Another quote with certainty:

Position and Momentum Energy and time.JPG

Ultimately, there's no way one can precisely know both quantum states simultaneously in either representation above. I am not a fan of the Copenhagen interpretation for a number of reasons as the simple act of measurement isn't always the cause of uncertainty. Uncertainty within a system also exists in a continuum of states, but even this does not stop physicists from trying to break the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

Last edited:

AV1611VET

cite:
The first gulp from the glass of natural sciences will turn you into an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you.
Nice!

I don't know how many people I've talked to, who said they were a Christian at one time, then had scientific questions their pastor couldn't answer; and so now claim to be an atheist.

Paul warns that embracing evolution can lead to atheism.

Romans 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

evoguy313

View attachment 654

Enjoy!

cite:
Attr. Werner Heisenberg

Wikiquote contributors have done some legwork on this, and I base what follows on what I found there.

The original quotation in German is: “Der erste Trunk aus dem Becher der Naturwissenschaft macht atheistisch, aber auf dem Grund des Bechers wartet Gott.” The source “cited in Ulrich Hildebrand: ‘Das Universum – Hinweis auf Gott?’, in ‘Ethos. Die Zeitschrift für die ganze Familie,’ Berneck, Schweiz: Schwengeler Verlag AG, No. 10, Oktober 1988, p. 10. The quote can not be found in Heisenberg’s published works, and Hildebrand apparently does not declare his source. The renowned journalist Eike Christian Hirsch

A friend of Heisenberg, Dr. Eike Christian Hirsch PhD, said that the content and the style are “foreign to Heisenberg’s convictions and the way he used to express himself.” Also according to Wikiquote, Heisenberg’s children “did not recognize their father in this quote”...

1. Heisenberg was a practicing Lutheran. Here’s an authentic quotation: “In the history of science, ever since the famous trial of Galileo, it has repeatedly been claimed that scientific truth cannot be reconciled with the religious interpretation of the world. Although I am now convinced that scientific truth is unassailable in its own field, I have never found it possible to dismiss the content of religious thinking as simply part of an outmoded phase in the consciousness of mankind, a part we shall have to give up from now on. Thus in the course of my life I have repeatedly been compelled to ponder on the relationship of these two regions of thought, for I have never been able to doubt the reality of that to which they point.” From “Scientific and Religious Truth” (1974).

Quotes that prop up religion that seem too good to be true usually aren't.

e v e

Attr. Werner Heisenberg

Wikiquote contributors have done some legwork on this, and I base what follows on what I found there.

The original quotation in German is: “Der erste Trunk aus dem Becher der Naturwissenschaft macht atheistisch, aber auf dem Grund des Bechers wartet Gott.” The source “cited in Ulrich Hildebrand: ‘Das Universum – Hinweis auf Gott?’, in ‘Ethos. Die Zeitschrift für die ganze Familie,’ Berneck, Schweiz: Schwengeler Verlag AG, No. 10, Oktober 1988, p. 10. The quote can not be found in Heisenberg’s published works, and Hildebrand apparently does not declare his source. The renowned journalist Eike Christian Hirsch

A friend of Heisenberg, Dr. Eike Christian Hirsch PhD, said that the content and the style are “foreign to Heisenberg’s convictions and the way he used to express himself.” Also according to Wikiquote, Heisenberg’s children “did not recognize their father in this quote”...

1. Heisenberg was a practicing Lutheran. Here’s an authentic quotation: “In the history of science, ever since the famous trial of Galileo, it has repeatedly been claimed that scientific truth cannot be reconciled with the religious interpretation of the world. Although I am now convinced that scientific truth is unassailable in its own field, I have never found it possible to dismiss the content of religious thinking as simply part of an outmoded phase in the consciousness of mankind, a part we shall have to give up from now on. Thus in the course of my life I have repeatedly been compelled to ponder on the relationship of these two regions of thought, for I have never been able to doubt the reality of that to which they point.” From “Scientific and Religious Truth” (1974).

Quotes that prop up religion that seem too good to be true usually aren't.
the ending is nice:

“Thus in the course of my life I have repeatedly been compelled to ponder on the relationship of these two regions of thought, for I have never been able to doubt the reality of that to which they point.”

evoguy313

the ending is nice:

“Thus in the course of my life I have repeatedly been compelled to ponder on the relationship of these two regions of thought, for I have never been able to doubt the reality of that to which they point.”
And the original quote is, nonetheless, phony.