A reason why God must exist.

He gave me reason and wisdom to do good.

As opposed to what?

As opposed to beasts of the field who merely satisfy their desires, lusts, or passions.
As opposed to plants which merely reproduce.
As opposed to rocks which merely exist.

The Beasts of the field do good by there fellow beasts.
Plants do good by providing food and oxygen.
You merely satisfy your desires, lusts, or passions.
One of which is to do good. Whatever that might mean.

We have something unique in the universe, that is the ability to do good. This is how we rise above mere existence, mere reproduction, mere lust and passion to to perceive the absolute good, to do good, to become good and so become like God.

We were born into an imperfect world made imperfect by a a fallen cosmic power, spiritual force of darkness, the “kosmocreator“ (eph 6:12). Out of that darkness rises a moral consciousness able to perceive the blueprint of perfection, the absolute good, aka, Joshua. Our moral consciousness acting as a light to the intelligible world bringing near what was far away, ie., the absolute good. If one is never touched by christ jesus then one is as if he/she never existed, because without consciousness of the absolute good, one merely exists as a rock, plant, or beast of the field. You are not really living without consciousness, to be specific, a moral consciousness.
What does it mean "to do good"?
We were born into a world that is what it is.
What is a moral consciousness? What sets it apart from regular consciousness?
Most people behave with some morality. They don't need 'Christ Jesus' to do that.

Neither, Another author wrote the prologue (the portion you are quoting) other than Ecclesiastes/Solomon. He is making a conclusion for Ecclesiastes. I don't think that is Ecclesiastes main point.
'Epilogue' actually. Where do you get the idea that this is from another author?
What then is Ecclesiastes main point? That “All these things are futile!”?

That's a good question.

The only answer I have, and I know you won't like, is that God has entrusted the good news to men to give to other men. God doesn't speak it to us, nor does he send angels to tell us. He anoints that message by using it to open minds to his existence. If we reach out to God, he will respond. Maybe not immediately but he will answer. That's the beginning of the most beautiful relationship you could ever have.
And you think this is reasonable?

That God should rely upon man to save man?

The Beasts of the field do good by there fellow beasts.
Plants do good by providing food and oxygen.
You merely satisfy your desires, lusts, or passions.
One of which is to do good. Whatever that might mean.

What does it mean "to do good"?
We were born into a world that is what it is.
What is a moral consciousness? What sets it apart from regular consciousness?
Most people behave with some morality. They don't need 'Christ Jesus' to do that.
Seriously? You are pretending to NOT know what ”to do good” means? Maybe one of your atheist friends can explain it to you.

'Epilogue' actually. Where do you get the idea that this is from another author?
What then is Ecclesiastes main point? That “All these things are futile!”?
I get the idea that the Epilogue is from another author by reading it. The author is talking about the "teacher" as if he is someone else and not quoting his sayings as earlier chapters. Or maybe this is addition to the book of Ecclesiastes with an aim to sum it up. The only time the author addresses reader as, my child, is in the Epilogue (what the authors of the Bible translation uses to title this section of Ecclesiastes. I read from the NRSVUE of the Bible.)

Imo, the main point would be since all things in this life are futile, we should enjoy our time here in all that we do. I quoted many verses to that point.

Epilogue​

9 Besides being wise, the Teacher also taught the people knowledge, weighing and studying and arranging many proverbs. 10 The Teacher sought to find pleasing words, and he wrote words of truth plainly.

11 The sayings of the wise are like goads, and like nails firmly fixed are the collected sayings that are given by one shepherd. 12 Of anything beyond these, my child, beware. Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

13 The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God, and keep his commandments, for that is the whole duty of everyone. 14 For God will bring every deed into judgment, including[f] every secret thing, whether good or evil.

And you think this is reasonable?

That God should rely upon man to save man?
It's God and man working in tandem to bring souls to a right relationship with God. God draws men, convicts men, accepts their faith and repentance, cleanses them from their sins, and fills them with his Spirit. That is only the beginning. Man/women share the good news with others or someone preaches to them.

I get the idea that the Epilogue is from another author by reading it. The author is talking about the "teacher" as if he is someone else and not quoting his sayings as earlier chapters. Or maybe this is addition to the book of Ecclesiastes with an aim to sum it up. The only time the author addresses reader as, my child, is in the Epilogue (what the authors of the Bible translation uses to title this section of Ecclesiastes. I read from the NRSVUE of the Bible.)

Imo, the main point would be since all things in this life are futile, we should enjoy our time here in all that we do. I quoted many verses to that point.

Epilogue​

9 Besides being wise, the Teacher also taught the people knowledge, weighing and studying and arranging many proverbs. 10 The Teacher sought to find pleasing words, and he wrote words of truth plainly.

11 The sayings of the wise are like goads, and like nails firmly fixed are the collected sayings that are given by one shepherd. 12 Of anything beyond these, my child, beware. Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

13 The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God, and keep his commandments, for that is the whole duty of everyone. 14 For God will bring every deed into judgment, including[f] every secret thing, whether good or evil.
The beginning also talks about The Teacher. Then it goes to a position of seemingly quoting what they said.
The end likewise is laid out as if 13 and 14 are quotes. I don't know if that structure comes from the author or later compilers.

Then I don't see how you can say that I don't believe that God is omniscient. Open theism understands that God is omniscient. He knows all things but some of those things are known as possibilities. God knows every possibility.

Then I don't see how you can say that I don't believe that God is omniscient. Open theism understands that God is omniscient. He knows all things but some of those things are known as possibilities. God knows every possibility.
Because you said ‘I don't think that God knew for sure…’. That means God doesn’t know everything: about something he was uncertain.

Back