A Slave to sin

civic

What freedom does a slave to sin have other than being held captive by sin and sin as his/her master ?
Strong's Concordance
doulos: a slave​
Original Word: δοῦλος, ου, ὁ
Part of Speech: Adjective; Noun, Feminine; Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: doulos
Phonetic Spelling: (doo'-los)
Definition: a slave
Usage: (a) (as adj.) enslaved, (b) (as noun) a (male) slave.

HELPS Word-studies
1401 doúlos (a masculine noun of uncertain derivation) – properly, someone who belongs to another; a bond-slave, without any ownership rights of their own.

John 8:34
Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin.

Romans 6:6-7
For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin7 because anyone who has died has been freed from sin.

Romans 6:16-21
Don't you know that when you offer yourselves to someone to obey him as slaves, you are slaves to the one whom you obey — whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness? 17 But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you wholeheartedly obeyed the form of teaching to which you were entrusted. 18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

19 I put this in human terms because you are weak in your natural selves. Just as you used to offer the parts of your body in slavery to impurity and to ever-increasing wickedness, so now offer them in slavery to righteousness leading to holiness. 20 When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the control of righteousness.

Romans 7:14
We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin.

Romans 7:25
but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.

1 Corinthians 7:21-22
Were you a slave when you were called? Don't let it trouble you — although if you can gain your freedom, do so. 22 For he who was a slave when he was called by the Lord is the Lord's freedman; similarly, he who was a free man when he was called is Christ's slave.

Galatians 4:7
So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir.

2 Peter 2:19-20
They promise them freedom, while they themselves are slaves of depravity — for a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him.

The facts from Scripture are man is :

conceived in sin
born into sin
his thoughts are evil continually
a sinner,
a slave to sin
in bondage to sin
sin is his master
loves his sin
hates God
is held captive by the devils will
cannot do good
is not righteous
is unholy
is by nature a child of wrath

etc.................................

civic

In his book Slave, John MacArthur describes the spiritual futility of unredeemed man.

One of the dominant features of universal human fallenness is the sinner’s deception about his true condition. Motivated by pride, the depraved mind thinks itself much better than it really is. But God’s Word cuts through that deception like a sharp sword, diagnosing sinful men as incurably sick, rebellious by nature, and incapable of any spiritual good.

As slaves to sin, all unbelievers are hostile toward God and unable to please Him in any respect. Their total inability is underscored by the fact that they are not just bound to sin; they are also blinded by sin and dead in it. They are “darkened in their understanding” (Ephesians 4:18) and cannot comprehend spiritual truth because “the god of this world [Satan] has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel or the glory of Christ” (2 Corinthians 4:4). Furthermore, unbelievers are “dead in [their] trespasses and sins” Ephesians 2:1), “dead in [their] transgressions” (Colossians 2:13), “dead even while [they live]” (1 Timothy 5:6). In the same way that a blind man cannot give himself sight or a dead man raise himself to life, so the sinner is totally unable to impart to himself either spiritual understanding or eternal life. Like Lazarus lying motionless in the tomb, the unredeemed soul remains lifeless until the voice of God commands it, “Come forth!”gty.org

zerinus

What freedom does a slave to sin have other than being held captive by sin and sin as his/her master ?
• • •

conceived in sin
born into sin
a sinner,
a slave to sin
in bondage to sin
sin is his master
loves his sin
hates God
cannot do good
is not righteous
is unholy

How do you explain hundreds of passages in the Bible which say the opposite? That is not an exaggeration. The number of passages in the Bible, Old and New Testaments, that say men are, can be, have been, and will be righteous (and blessed by God accordingly) are legion. I could quote them all for you if you want, but I will confine it for now to this short and straightforward statement:

Acts 10:

34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
35 But in every nation [and religion] he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

How do you square that with your theology?

PeanutGallery

What freedom does a slave to sin have other than being held captive by sin and sin as his/her master ?...
Scripturally, a slave to sin can turn to the Lord for mercy.

Luke 18:13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

Theo1689

How do you explain hundreds of passages in the Bible which say the opposite? That is not an exaggeration. The number of passages in the Bible, Old and New Testaments, that say men are, can be, have been, and will be righteous (and blessed by God accordingly) are legion. I could quote them all for you if you want, but I will confine it for now to this short and straightforward statement:

Acts 10:

34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
35 But in every nation [and religion] he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

<Chuckle>

And once again YOU are the one "pitting Scripture against Scripture".
But you will deny it, and then accuse civic of being the one doing it.

Why does he have to address your passages, when YOU never address HIS passages?
Double standards much?

zerinus

Scripturally, a slave to sin can turn to the Lord for mercy.

Luke 18:13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
Good quote. The next verse is important as well:

Luke 18:

14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

A sinner can still humble himself and be exalted.

brightfame52

Scripture teaches mans total depravity , spiritual inabilty by indicating that we are born sinners and under sin. Under sin !

Rom 3:9
What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin;

Rom 7:14
For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

Gal 3:22
But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

The word under hypo means:

, to be under, i. e. subject to the power of, any person or thing:

By nature we are under the power and rule, dominion of sin. It effects our mind, will, and affections spiritually We are under the power of darkness Col 1:13

Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

We operate from within the sphere of sin/darkness, even if we are very moral and religious by nature. Mans natural will isnt free from being under sin.

Thats why it can be declared, that by nature, all men are slaves, servants of sin, even if we are good moral people.

Jesus speaking to perhaps the most religious people in the world said Jn 8:34

Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.

Thats word servant is doulos and means slave, and it applys to all by nature because we are sinners.

PeanutGallery

Scripture teaches mans total depravity , spiritual inabilty by indicating that we are born sinners and under sin. Under sin !

Rom 3:9
What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin;

Rom 7:14
For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

Gal 3:22
But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe....
Yes, I agree; we are under sin and cannot attain righteousness through the law; however, we can attain righteousness through faith.

Rom 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
Rom 4:6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,
Rom 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
Rom 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
Rom 9:30 What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith.

Gal 3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
Gal 3:23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

brightfame52

Yes, I agree; we are under sin and cannot attain righteousness through the law; however, we can attain righteousness through faith.

Rom 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
Rom 4:6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,
Rom 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
Rom 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
Rom 9:30 What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith.

Gal 3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
Gal 3:23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
To be under sin is to be without faith, to be under sin is to be under unbelief/disobedience.

brightfame52

Lets get an understanding here, to be under sin is synonymous to being under unbelief, to be a slave to sin is to be a slave to disobedience/unbelief. Lets look at some scripture: Paul speaking of the unregenrate elect jews and gentiles stated Rom 11:32

32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

The word concluded/sygkleiō/ means

1. to shut up together, enclose
    1. of a shoal of fishes in a net
  2. to shut up on all sides, shut up completely
embrace in a common subjection to:—conclude, inclose, shut up.

The Idea is that they are in subjection to, imprisoned to unbelief.

And this is due to Gods purpose, for its God who concludes them in disobedience/unbelief

So this eliminates the idea of one having Faith or Obedience while under sin.

PeanutGallery

Lets get an understanding here, to be under sin is synonymous to being under unbelief, ...
Let's get an understanding here, it is those who are under sin that believe.

Rom 11:32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.
Context: unbelieving Jews who may obtain mercy through God's work in the Gentiles.

Context: all may be saved by faith, as opposed to being saved by the works of the law,

zerinus

Rom 11:32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.
Context: unbelieving Jews who may obtain mercy through God's work in the Gentiles.

Context: all may be saved by faith, as opposed to being saved by the works of the law,
You got that nearly right but not quite. It is not just faith, but faith coupled with repentance:

Matthew 4:

17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Matthew 12:

41 The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here.

Mark 6:

12 And they went out, and preached that men should repent.

Luke 5:

32 I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Luke 13:

3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Luke 15:

7 I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

Luke 24:

47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Acts 2:

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 17:

30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Acts 20:

20 And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house,
21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Acts 26:

19 Whereupon, O king Agrippa, I was not disobedient unto the heavenly vision:
20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

Romans 2:

4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

2 Peter 3:

9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Revelation 2:

5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; …

Revelation 3:

19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

brightfame52

One cant believe while under sin, I just explained that.

TibiasDad

Acts 10:

Do not put your parenthetical thoughts in with the quotation of Scripture! [and religion] is not in the text, assumed by the text, or implied by the text!

Doug

TibiasDad

Strong's Concordance
doulos: a slave​
Original Word: δοῦλος, ου, ὁ
Part of Speech: Adjective; Noun, Feminine; Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: doulos
Phonetic Spelling: (doo'-los)
Definition: a slave
Usage: (a) (as adj.) enslaved, (b) (as noun) a (male) slave.

HELPS Word-studies
1401 doúlos (a masculine noun of uncertain derivation) – properly, someone who belongs to another; a bond-slave, without any ownership rights of their own.

John 8:34
Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin.

Romans 6:6-7
For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin7 because anyone who has died has been freed from sin.

Romans 6:16-21
Don't you know that when you offer yourselves to someone to obey him as slaves, you are slaves to the one whom you obey — whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness? 17 But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you wholeheartedly obeyed the form of teaching to which you were entrusted. 18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

19 I put this in human terms because you are weak in your natural selves. Just as you used to offer the parts of your body in slavery to impurity and to ever-increasing wickedness, so now offer them in slavery to righteousness leading to holiness. 20 When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the control of righteousness.

Romans 7:14
We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin.

Romans 7:25
but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.

1 Corinthians 7:21-22
Were you a slave when you were called? Don't let it trouble you — although if you can gain your freedom, do so. 22 For he who was a slave when he was called by the Lord is the Lord's freedman; similarly, he who was a free man when he was called is Christ's slave.

Galatians 4:7
So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir.

2 Peter 2:19-20
They promise them freedom, while they themselves are slaves of depravity — for a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him.

conceived in sin
born into sin
a sinner,
a slave to sin
in bondage to sin
sin is his master
loves his sin
hates God
cannot do good
is not righteous
is unholy

Yes, man in his natural state and without the grace of God is a slave to sin!

Doug