A Slave to sin

zerinus

Do not put your parenthetical thoughts in with the quotation of Scripture! [and religion] is not in the text, assumed by the text, or implied by the text!

Doug
I am not following you. We are discussing Christian theology, which is derived from scripture. If you think that I have misquoted, misunderstood, or misinterpreted scripture, here is your chance to explain to us how and why. But you can’t simply object to my quoting scripture. That doesn’t make sense.

Dizerner

I am not following you. We are discussing Christian theology, which is derived from scripture. If you think that I have misquoted, misunderstood, or misinterpreted scripture, here is your chance to explain to us how and why. But you can’t simply object to my quoting scripture. That doesn’t make sense.

It does look like you added "[and religion]" where there is no backing in the originals there.

ἀλλ᾽ ἐν παντὶ ἔθνει (Act 10:35 BGT)

zerinus

It does look like you added "[and religion]" where there is no backing in the originals there.

ἀλλ᾽ ἐν παντὶ ἔθνει (Act 10:35 BGT)
Okay, thanks. I missed that. That was a reference to Cornelius in the words of Peter in acts 10:

Acts 10:

34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
35 But in every nation [and religion] he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

Peter spoke those words of Cornelius, who was a centurion in the Roman army, and a pagan previous to his conversion. It was as a pagan that he found favor with God, and was visited by an angel, who told him that he had found favor with God, and that his good deeds (prayers and alms to the poor) had come as a “memorial” before God (Acts 10:1–4). So I stand by what I had said. He had found favor with God for his prayers and good deeds (alms to the poor) as a pagan, not as a Christian.

Our Lord's God

What freedom does a slave to sin have other than being held captive by sin and sin as his/her master ?
Strong's Concordance
doulos: a slave​
Original Word: δοῦλος, ου, ὁ
Part of Speech: Adjective; Noun, Feminine; Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: doulos
Phonetic Spelling: (doo'-los)
Definition: a slave
Usage: (a) (as adj.) enslaved, (b) (as noun) a (male) slave.

HELPS Word-studies
1401 doúlos (a masculine noun of uncertain derivation) – properly, someone who belongs to another; a bond-slave, without any ownership rights of their own.

John 8:34
Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin.

How about you?

Romans 6:6-7
For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin7 because anyone who has died has been freed from sin.

Romans 6:16-21
Don't you know that when you offer yourselves to someone to obey him as slaves, you are slaves to the one whom you obey — whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness? 17 But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you wholeheartedly obeyed the form of teaching to which you were entrusted. 18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

19 I put this in human terms because you are weak in your natural selves. Just as you used to offer the parts of your body in slavery to impurity and to ever-increasing wickedness, so now offer them in slavery to righteousness leading to holiness. 20 When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the control of righteousness.

Romans 7:14
We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin.

Romans 7:25
but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.

1 Corinthians 7:21-22
Were you a slave when you were called? Don't let it trouble you — although if you can gain your freedom, do so. 22 For he who was a slave when he was called by the Lord is the Lord's freedman; similarly, he who was a free man when he was called is Christ's slave.

Galatians 4:7
So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir.

2 Peter 2:19-20
They promise them freedom, while they themselves are slaves of depravity — for a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him.

The facts from Scripture are man is :

conceived in sin
born into sin
his thoughts are evil continually
a sinner,
a slave to sin
in bondage to sin
sin is his master
loves his sin
hates God
is held captive by the devils will
cannot do good
is not righteous
is unholy
is by nature a child of wrath

etc.................................

TomFL

What freedom does a slave to sin have other than being held captive by sin and sin as his/her master ?
Strong's Concordance
doulos: a slave​
Original Word: δοῦλος, ου, ὁ
Part of Speech: Adjective; Noun, Feminine; Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: doulos
Phonetic Spelling: (doo'-los)
Definition: a slave
Usage: (a) (as adj.) enslaved, (b) (as noun) a (male) slave.

HELPS Word-studies
1401 doúlos (a masculine noun of uncertain derivation) – properly, someone who belongs to another; a bond-slave, without any ownership rights of their own.

John 8:34
Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin.

Romans 6:6-7
For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin7 because anyone who has died has been freed from sin.

Romans 6:16-21
Don't you know that when you offer yourselves to someone to obey him as slaves, you are slaves to the one whom you obey — whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness? 17 But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you wholeheartedly obeyed the form of teaching to which you were entrusted. 18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

19 I put this in human terms because you are weak in your natural selves. Just as you used to offer the parts of your body in slavery to impurity and to ever-increasing wickedness, so now offer them in slavery to righteousness leading to holiness. 20 When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the control of righteousness.

Romans 7:14
We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin.

Romans 7:25
but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.

1 Corinthians 7:21-22
Were you a slave when you were called? Don't let it trouble you — although if you can gain your freedom, do so. 22 For he who was a slave when he was called by the Lord is the Lord's freedman; similarly, he who was a free man when he was called is Christ's slave.

Galatians 4:7
So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir.

2 Peter 2:19-20
They promise them freedom, while they themselves are slaves of depravity — for a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him.

The facts from Scripture are man is :

conceived in sin
born into sin
his thoughts are evil continually
a sinner,
a slave to sin
in bondage to sin
sin is his master
loves his sin
hates God
is held captive by the devils will
cannot do good
is not righteous
is unholy
is by nature a child of wrath

etc.................................
The ability to confess he is a slave to sin and and accept God's offer of cleansing

Isaiah 1:18 (KJV)
18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

TomFL

Not when they are under sin, thats in your imagination.
No that's scripture

Acts 26:20 (KJV)
20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

PeanutGallery

Not when they are under sin, thats in your imagination.
Actually; men under sin can turn to the Lord.
2Cor 3:14 But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.
2Cor 3:15 But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.
2Cor 3:16 Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.

TomFL

2Cor 3:14 But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.
2Cor 3:15 But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.
2Cor 3:16 Nevertheless when it shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.
Yes indeed

Isaiah 55:7 (KJV)
7 Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.

civic

Yes in the pelagian world view man on his own apart from the spirits internal work in the heart of man can turn to God. But as we know it’s unbiblical and impossible for those who are dead in their sins.

next..........

hope this helps !!!

PeanutGallery

Yes in the pelagian world view man on his own apart from the spirits internal work in the heart of man can turn to God....
I'm not pelagian since I acknowledge the Holy Spirit's work in us; God has given us creation which testifies, law written in our hearts, conscience bearing witness, Holy Spirit conviction, the gospel the power of God unto salvation unto all who believe.

Aside from the above Spirit's work, which Spirit's work is lacking?

brightfame52

You cant turn to the Lord when under sin, under unbelief. Now if the Lord gives you the New Birth, the Spirit of Liberty, thats when one can turn to the Lord.

brightfame52

No that's scripture

Acts 26:20 (KJV)
20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.
When you a slave to sin, you cant do nothing.

civic

I'm not pelagian since I acknowledge the Holy Spirit's work in us; God has given us creation which testifies, law written in our hearts, conscience bearing witness, Holy Spirit conviction, the gospel the power of God unto salvation unto all who believe.

Aside from the above Spirit's work, which Spirit's work is lacking?
If you can choose God on your own you are a pelagian