A Spiritual Witness vs Deception

Aaron32

I can believe the Bible, or any truth based on emotion, spiritual voodoo, or life experience, etc. but if I don’t logically understand the message, then none of that is worth anything.

If I WANT to believe something - if the desire to believe it surpasses my desire to understand WHY it’s true or false - Then I will always be under deception, regardless if the belief is actually true or not.

An analogy:
I could get a strong emotional experience that 1+1=2, but if I don’t understand the numbers or the logic, then I simply don’t understand - even though the conclusion is true. Let me explain:

I’m an analyst by profession, and I use Microsoft Excel quite frequently. Have you ever tried to add “1” as a text character instead of a numeric value? In computer processing, adding 1 + (a text character) returns “#VALUE”. It can’t compute. Adding 1+”1” isn’t any different than adding 1+”a”, it will result in an error.
Now, If you didn’t understand how computers work. It would drive you mad trying to figure out why 1+1 results as 2, but 1+”1” results as “#VALUE”.

Now, with that concept in mind, let’s consider “1+1=2” as a sentence, and in an analogy, lets pretend it’s a religious truth found in a religious text “One Plus One Equals Two” (Math 1:1)

The truth “1+1=2” could be message passed down for generations. Alot of family baggage could be attached to the truth of “1+1=2”. I could attach a lot of self-esteem issues to “1+1=2”, especially if I publicly lived and was accepted according to “1+1=2”. Therefore, I could get a strong emotional response to “knowing” “1+1=2”.
Again, if I don’t understand HOW 1+1=2, if I don’t understand the meaning of 1, 2, “+”, or “=“. The reality is, I simply don’t understand.

But if I NEED to know, I will turn to any evidence I have to, even if I have to invent it, to arrive at my conclusion. Spiritual experiences, life experience, etc. and block out any evidence to the contrary.
To make my truth true in the conflict of other people’s experience, I have to make excuses why they say the things they do, I have to determine motive. I have to psycho analyze them to tell them why they are wrong. Of which, none of this is true. It’s all created in our subconscious efforts to protect ourselves. It’s called “bias”.
In the midst of uncertainty, bias reigns supreme.

Thus, our logic and reasoning is limited. Our efforts to “convince” is

Just as you look at your works as filthy rags towards salvation, consider your ways in your reasoning that leads to doubt, fear and unbelief and pray for the Holy Spirit to open your ears and HEAR THE MESSAGE to enlighten your understanding:

D&C 33
10...Repent, repent, and prepare ye the way of the Lord, and make his paths straight; for the kingdom of heaven is at hand;
11 Yea, repent and be baptized, every one of you, for a remission of your sins; yea, be baptized even by water, and then cometh the baptism of fire and of the Holy Ghost.
12 Behold, verily, verily, I say unto you, this is my gospel; and remember that they shall have faith in me or they can in nowise be saved;
13 And upon this rock I will build my church; yea, upon this rock ye are built, and if ye continue, the gates of hell shall not prevail against you.
14 And ye shall remember the church articles and covenants to keep them.
15 And whoso having faith you shall confirm in my church, by the laying on of the hands, and I will bestow the gift of the Holy Ghost upon them.
16 And the Book of Mormon and the holy scriptures are given of me for your instruction; and the power of my Spirit quickeneth all things.
17 Wherefore, be faithful, praying always, having your lamps trimmed and burning, and oil with you, that you may be ready at the coming of the Bridegroom—
18 For behold, verily, verily, I say unto you, that I come quickly. Even so. Amen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Theo1689

I can believe the Bible, or any truth based on emotion, spiritual voodoo, or life experience, etc. but if I don’t logically understand the message, then none of that is worth anything.

"emotion", "spiritual voodoo".

This is the Mormon testimony.

If I WANT to believe something - if the desire to believe it surpasses my desire to understand WHY it’s true or false - Then I will always be under deception, regardless if the belief is actually true or not.

"always be under deception".

I’m an analyst by profession, and I use Microsoft Excel quite frequently. Have you ever tried to add “1” as a text character instead of a numeric value? In computer processing, adding 1 + (a text character) returns “#VALUE”. It can’t compute. Adding 1+”1” isn’t any different than adding 1+”a”, it will result in an error.
Now, If you didn’t understand how computers work. It would drive you mad trying to figure out why 1+1 results as 2, but 1+”1” results as “#VALUE”.

That's simply not true.
One can see the pattern without understanding "why".

But if I NEED to know, I will turn to any evidence I have to, even if I have to invent it, to arrive at my conclusion.

"If I have to invent it".

Spiritual experiences, life experience, etc. and block out any evidence to the contrary.

"block out any evidence to the contrary".

And there is TONS of evidence of Mormons "blocking out any evidence the the contrary":

- only one god (Deut. 4:35,39, Deut. 32:39, 1 Kings 8:60 Ps. 86:10, Isa. 43-46, etc. etc.)
- salvation by faith, "not by works" (Eph. 2:8-9, Tit. 3:5, 2 Tim. 1:9, Rom. 4:4-6, Rom. 11:5-6, etc.)

To make my truth true in the conflict of other people’s experience, I have to make excuses why they say the things they do, I have to determine motive. I have to psycho analyze them to tell them why they are wrong. Of which, none of this is true. It’s all created in our subconscious efforts to protect ourselves. It’s called “bias”.

"bias".

Just as you look at your works as filthy rags towards salvation, consider your ways in your reasoning that leads to doubt, fear and unbelief and pray for the Holy Spirit to open your ears and HEAR THE MESSAGE to enlighten your understanding:

So you identify a number of ways MORMONS are misled, so why do you try to project that onto CHRISTIANS, who are NOT misled like Mormons are?

MORMONS are the ones with "doubt, fear and unbelief".