A study in contradictions

To have faith in his plan? Why, yes. We do need to know that he was once a mortal like us. The fact that He did it, means that we can too.

Most Christians in other denominations are just looking to get back to the garden of Eden. That is not the plan. Even if it was, it's not very appealing. It's better than this life sure, but it's a dead end street, it goes nowhere. What it amounts to is a bunch of neutered people running around naked in a garden eating fruit for eternity.

God has offered to make us equal to him and to give us the power to do what he does. Frankly, that seems to be out of our reach. The creeds codify that impossibly and that is exactly the reason they were an abomination.

Knowing that God, our Father in heaven was once a man like us changes all that. Have you forgotten that the church teaches that as man is now, God once was, and as God is now, man may become? Is that not foundational to our religion? Isn't that the reason we marry in the temple? Or is that all just symbolic to you?

If by, "we" you mean you and our critics, then I think you are alone. The other critics know this is foundational. I don't think anyone from our church, except you is disputing it.

I have no idea what they are saying, but that couplet is foundational to our religion. If you disagree with that then I disagree with you. Let me know if you don't understand that.

It is both foundational and obscure and not incongruent in anyway.
It’s foundational to mormonism, and it’s false doctrine. It directly contradicts what God told us about Himself… that He has always been God. The only God there has been or will be, forever. To try to bring Him down to the level of humans is disrespectful and wrong.

Well Aaron, you're almost there...
Yep. Almost.
Mormonism according to you guys:
  1. Works based salvation
  2. God being mortal a FOUNDATIONAL doctrine
(Slow clap)
Do you consider the "win" is alienating everyone and be the last Mormon standing?

Yep. Almost.
Mormonism according to you guys:
  1. Works based salvation
  2. God being mortal a FOUNDATIONAL doctrine
(Slow clap)
Do you consider the "win" is alienating everyone and be the last Mormon standing?
It's not about winning. It's about the truth and if you feel alienated because you don't accept that truth, then what else can we do? It doesn't appear that you believe what the church teaches. That's a huge problem.

It's not about winning.
Then why is Richard7 always trying to control me?
It's about the truth and if you feel alienated because you don't accept that truth, then what else can we do?
Sorry, I dont believe your opinion is "the truth". Have a little humility.
You can trust in the providence of God to lead people to truth as he will.
It doesn't appear that you believe what the church teaches. That's a huge problem.
You are not "the church". The church does not teach what you teach. Repeating a falsehood doesn't make it true.

To have faith in his plan? Why, yes. We do need to know that he was once a mortal like us. The fact that He did it, means that we can too.
I disagree.
Most Christians in other denominations are just looking to get back to the garden of Eden. That is not the plan. Even if it was, it's not very appealing. It's better than this life sure, but it's a dead end street, it goes nowhere. What it amounts to is a bunch of neutered people running around naked in a garden eating fruit for eternity.
This statement just lets me know you've never actually found the garden of Eden, and what it means to enter into his rest.
God has offered to make us equal to him and to give us the power to do what he does. Frankly, that seems to be out of our reach. The creeds codify that impossibly and that is exactly the reason they were an abomination.
I believe the "power" is the Holy Ghost, and you're no different than the creeds you mock.
Knowing that God, our Father in heaven was once a man like us changes all that.
I disagree. Knowing Jesus'mortality, the one that actually atoned for our sins, is sufficient.
Have you forgotten that the church teaches that as man is now, God once was, and as God is now, man may become? Is that not foundational to our religion?
Again, repeating your false premise doesn't make it true.
Isn't that the reason we marry in the temple? Or is that all just symbolic to you?
Well, since you're asking, I personally believe marriage helps us understand the relationship between the Father and the Son, so we can emulate them. See Eph 5.
If by, "we" you mean you and our critics, then I think you are alone. The other critics know this is foundational. I don't think anyone from our church, except you is disputing it.
Exactly, I am alone. You, Theo, Magdalena, Janice all believe God being mortal is foundational to Mormonism, and Richard is cheering it on. They also believe you're not Christian, but you fail to grasp why. I'm waiting for you to also start defending the purpose of existence is to have endless sex with our multiple goddess wives. Just admit your a posing as a Mormon just to make us look bad.
I have no idea what they are saying, but that couplet is foundational to our religion. If you disagree with that then I disagree with you. Let me know if you don't understand that.
Hinckley didnt know if we teach the couplet. You can deal with him first. But I guess you think you have more authority than President Hinckley, right?
It is both foundational and obscure and not incongruent in anyway.
Lol. Ummm...ok. whatever.

Then why is Richard7 always trying to control me?
Probably for the same reasons you try to control me.
Sorry, I dont believe your opinion is "the truth". Have a little humility.
You can trust in the providence of God to lead people to truth as he will.
Obviously, I believe God can and does lead people to the truth. That's not what this debate is about. You didn't answer the question, what else can we do? If you don't understand the context, I'll be happy to elaborate.
You are not "the church"
I didn't say I was.
The church does not teach what you teach.
Yes, it does. Again, as man is now, God once was... Do I need to tell you which prophet taught that? You may not believe it, but that doesn't mean the church doesn't teach it.
Repeating a falsehood doesn't make it true.
I agree.

I disagree.

This statement just lets me know you've never actually found the garden of Eden, and what it means to enter into his rest.

I believe the "power" is the Holy Ghost, and you're no different than the creeds you mock.

I disagree. Knowing Jesus'mortality, the one that actually atoned for our sins, is sufficient.

Well, since you're asking, I personally believe marriage helps us understand the relationship between the Father and the Son, so we can emulate them. See Eph 5.

Exactly, I am alone. You, Theo, Magdalena, Janice all believe God being mortal is foundational to Mormonism, and Richard is cheering it on. They also believe you're not Christian, but you fail to grasp why. I'm waiting for you to also start defending the purpose of existence is to have endless sex with our multiple goddess wives. Just admit your a posing as a Mormon just to make us look bad.

Hinckley didnt know if we teach the couplet. You can deal with him first. But I guess you think you have more authority than President Hinckley, right?

Lol. Ummm...ok. whatever.
Hinckley knew. He lied about it.

The whole design of the gospel is to lead us, onward and upward to greater achievement, even, eventually, to godhood. This great possibility was enunciated by the Prophet Joseph Smith in the King Follet sermon (see Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp. 342-62) and emphasized by President Lorenzo Snow. It is this grand and incomparable concept: As God now is, man may become! (See The Teachings of Lorenzo Snow, comp. Clyde J. Williams, Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1984, p. 1.)” (Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley, page 179)

Neutered people? Where does the Bible teach this?

Yes, it does. Again, as man is now, God once was... Do I need to tell you which prophet taught that? You may not believe it, but that doesn't mean the church doesn't teach it.
Watch how this works...

The mormons say.....as man is now, God once was.

OK...Bible God was once a man....perhaps in the Kolob star system....walking around just like us....before he was exalted to Godhood....
Which means the dude walking around the Kolob star system had a God who once was a man who walked around on some unknown planet in some unknown star system....who also was a man as his God once was....which that God was also a man prior to becoming a God who once walked around as a man...and that that God was also a man prior to becoming a God who once walked around as a man prior to becoming a God who was also a man prior to becoming a God who once walked around as a man....and so on and so on.

I disagree.
I know. But that doesn't make it false. It's what our church teaches. You think they are wrong. That is a major problem.
What you believe is irrelevant to this discussion. It is my understanding that the issue is about what the church believes. Even our critics seem to know more about that than you do.
I disagree.
It doesn't matter if you agree or not. Again, it's not about what you believe.
Knowing Jesus'mortality, the one that actually atoned for our sins, is sufficient.
Sufficient for what? If it is to be saved, then your missing the message. But, of course, that is my point and you seem to have dramatically made it for me.
Again, repeating your false conclusions doesn't make it true. The fact is, that is what our church teaches. Your effort to overlook it doesn't mean it's not there. It just means you can't see it. You should consider stopping soon, you're embarrassing yourself (but probably don't know it). Most of our critics know this is basic LDS theology. Your denial of it doesn't make it disappear.
Funny, I ask a question and you answer some question I didn't ask.
Exactly, I am alone.
There you go. How can the church be true and wrong at the same time? You don't even know our theology, I think you do, but you've decided to butter it up a little more think that'll make it easier for people who question these things to accept.
You, Theo, Magdalena, Janice all believe God being mortal is foundational to Mormonism,
That's not as important as it is that you know it. It is what we teach, you just aren't reconciled to it.
They also believe you're not Christian, but you fail to grasp why
No. I understand perfectly why they think I'm not a Christian. According to their definition, I'm not. But according to the English dictionary, I am. Words have meaning. Thankfully, I don't need to rely on them to understand the English language.
They also believe you're not Christian, but you fail to grasp why. I'm waiting for you to also start defending the purpose of existence is to have endless sex with our multiple goddess wives
There's no reason to defend it, that's not our religion. I've already explained that there will be no marrying nor giving in marriage in the Celestial kingdom, where would we obtain these other wives? Sex does have an end. We will have other things to do. However, those in the garden won't have anything to do. They could probably engage in endless sex, but those in the Celestial kingdom have worlds to save. They will be too busy for endless sex.
Just admit your a posing as a Mormon just to make us look bad.
????
Hinckley didnt know if we teach the couplet.
He said he didn't know much about it. He didn't know that we teach it. He didn't say he didn't know it. We don't teach it. It's obscure but foundational. We don't know much about it, but that doesn't change the fact that we do know that is the plan that is being offered. We can only see the results of God's work, meaning the Father's work. Most of what we think we know is speculation. For example, we don't know how spirits children are made. No one has seen it done. There is very little about it in the scriptures but what we do know suggests that spirits can neither be made nor created. If that is true, then they must become children in some other way besides vaginal birth. Our concern isn't about where spirits come from anyway, instead, it should be about the salvation of those spirits who choose to follow us as we followed God. This is an ongoing work that does not require a recycled Christ.
You can deal with him first. But I guess you think you have more authority than President Hinckley, right?
I think that's your claim. You have authority to override Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, and Lorenzo Snow, why not Hinckley, right?

I know. But that doesn't make it false. It's what our church teaches. You think they are wrong. That is a major problem.
Please substantiate your claim of "It's what our church teaches" in the current curriculum:
Church Handbook:

Teach the Doctrine​

The Savior taught His Father’s doctrine. Following the Savior’s example, teachers focus on the essential, saving truths of the gospel. They teach using the scriptures, the teachings of latter-day prophets, and approved curriculum materials. Teachers lead inspired discussions and ensure that their teaching is edifying and doctrinally sound. Approved materials are listed in the current Instructions for Curriculum on ChurchofJesusChrist.org.

Follow the link, and find the resource that teaches God was mortal.

What you believe is irrelevant to this discussion. It is my understanding that the issue is about what the church believes. Even our critics seem to know more about that than you do.
If it's what the church believes, substantiate it.
Sufficient for what? If it is to be saved, then your missing the message.
So, I guess I'm just supposed to take your word for it?
Again, repeating your false conclusions doesn't make it true. The fact is, that is what our church teaches.
If it's fact, then substantiate it using the source as directed in the Church Handbook. It's a rather easy request.
Your effort to overlook it doesn't mean it's not there. It just means you can't see it. You should consider stopping soon, you're embarrassing yourself (but probably don't know it). Most of our critics know this is basic LDS theology. Your denial of it doesn't make it disappear.
Thank you for admitting that you believe our critics know basic LDS theology. Now we know what side you're actually on.

There you go. How can the church be true and wrong at the same time?
Priesthood Keys can be conferred, but may not always have power. (D&C 121:37)
It by the discernment with the Holy Ghost we determine truth, unless believe, along with our critics that we are a cult.

You don't even know our theology, I think you do, but you've decided to butter it up a little more think that'll make it easier for people who question these things to accept.
Just your worthless opinion.

That's not as important as it is that you know it. It is what we teach, you just aren't reconciled to it.
Wow. No denial whatsoever. But hey you wear the Mormon label, so I guess that will buy you @Richard7 's loyalty.

No. I understand perfectly why they think I'm not a Christian. According to their definition, I'm not. But according to the English dictionary, I am. Words have meaning. Thankfully, I don't need to rely on them to understand the English language.
Yep. Use the English Dictionary to justify your beliefs. Only further evidence that you believe in "philosophies of men mingled with scripture", but by the scriptural definition of a Christian you fail miserably.
There's no reason to defend it, that's not our religion. I've already explained that there will be no marrying nor giving in marriage in the Celestial kingdom, where would we obtain these other wives? Sex does have an end. We will have other things to do. However, those in the garden won't have anything to do. They could probably engage in endless sex, but those in the Celestial kingdom have worlds to save. They will be too busy for endless sex.

????
You will have worlds to save not have children? Who can keep up with your endlessly shifting theology?

He said he didn't know much about it. He didn't know that we teach it. He didn't say he didn't know it. We don't teach it.
Thank you. I rest my case.

It's obscure but foundational. We don't know much about it, but that doesn't change the fact that we do know that is the plan that is being offered. We can only see the results of God's work, meaning the Father's work. Most of what we think we know is speculation. For example, we don't know how spirits children are made. No one has seen it done. There is very little about it in the scriptures but what we do know suggests that spirits can neither be made nor created. If that is true, then they must become children in some other way besides vaginal birth. Our concern isn't about where spirits come from anyway, instead, it should be about the salvation of those spirits who choose to follow us as we followed God. This is an ongoing work that does not require a recycled Christ.
blah, blah, blah, blah

I think that's your claim. You have authority to override Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, and Lorenzo Snow, why not Hinckley, right?
I'm not the one disagreeing with Hinckley. You are.
I'm not the one claiming teachings that aren't found in the curriculum. You are.
We follow the LIVING apostles and prophets, and the unfolding restoration.
But like our critics, you're stuck in the past. Sorry, multiply your words all you want, but at the end of the day you simply have no evidence to justify your statements.

The whole design of the gospel is to lead us, onward and upward to greater achievement, even, eventually, to godhood. This great possibility was enunciated by the Prophet Joseph Smith in the King Follet sermon (see Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp. 342-62) and emphasized by President Lorenzo Snow. It is this grand and incomparable concept: As God now is, man may become! (See The Teachings of Lorenzo Snow, comp. Clyde J. Williams, Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1984, p. 1.)” (Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley, page 179)
I don't see God's mortality being stated there. Notice the statement "as man now is, God once was" is omitted.

I don't see God's mortality being stated there. Notice the statement "as man now is, God once was" is omitted.
Aaron… he referenced Lorenzo Snow’s teachings. We all know what those are, and that they include “As man is, God once was.” Joseph Smith taught it too. So did other Mormon leaders for generations. It’s disingenuous to try to present it otherwise. Of course Hinckley knew about it.

Aaron… he referenced Lorenzo Snow’s teachings. We all know what those are, and that they include “As man is, God once was.” Joseph Smith taught it too. So did other Mormon leaders for generations. It’s disingenuous to try to present it otherwise. Of course Hinckley knew about it.
I'm not denying it was taught. Certainly, it was taught.

The Gospel Topic Essay on "Becoming like God" says:
"Since that sermon, known as the King Follett discourse, the doctrine that humans can progress to exaltation and godliness has been taught within the Church. Lorenzo Snow, the Church’s fifth President, coined a well-known couplet: “As man now is, God once was: As God now is, man may be.” Little has been revealed about the first half of this couplet, and consequently little is taught. When asked about this topic, Church President Gordon B. Hinckley told a reporter in 1997, “That gets into some pretty deep theology that we don’t know very much about.” When asked about the belief in humans’ divine potential, President Hinckley responded, “Well, as God is, man may become. We believe in eternal progression. Very strongly.”

That's a very honest answer. I don't have to accept Snow's couplet hook, line, and sinker. Can you give me resources and teachings and details on "As man now is, God once was" or if he was mortal at all? I don't know of any revelation on the subject.

Yet, we do believe in man's divine potential. Which means we can question the first part of Snow's couplet, while agreeing with the Second part - and even then, we're not entirely certain what that means, but atleast we can tie it to a scriptural basis.

I'm not denying it was taught. Certainly, it was taught.

The Gospel Topic Essay on "Becoming like God" says:
"Since that sermon, known as the King Follett discourse, the doctrine that humans can progress to exaltation and godliness has been taught within the Church. Lorenzo Snow, the Church’s fifth President, coined a well-known couplet: “As man now is, God once was: As God now is, man may be.” Little has been revealed about the first half of this couplet, and consequently little is taught. When asked about this topic, Church President Gordon B. Hinckley told a reporter in 1997, “That gets into some pretty deep theology that we don’t know very much about.” When asked about the belief in humans’ divine potential, President Hinckley responded, “Well, as God is, man may become. We believe in eternal progression. Very strongly.”

That's a very honest answer. I don't have to accept Snow's couplet hook, line, and sinker. Can you give me resources and teachings and details on "As man now is, God once was" or if he was mortal at all? I don't know of any revelation on the subject.

Yet, we do believe in man's divine potential. Which means we can question the first part of Snow's couplet, while agreeing with the Second part - and even then, we're not entirely certain what that means, but atleast we can tie it to a scriptural basis.
Hinckley said “I don’t know that we teach it.” That was a lie. Of course he knew it was taught. He taught it too.

Follow the link, and find the resource that teaches God was mortal.
I've already provided that information. Why don't you show me where the church has denied that God was once mortal?

So sad. I will try to restrict my comments on your posts to the doctrine that differs from what the church teaches. I'm not going to bicker with you over your demands for proof. I've given it. Your arguments don't differ much from those of our critics.

I don't think he lied. We really don't know much about it and we don't teach it, not in church anyway. I once quoted from the KFD in a priesthood class, just last year. a person in the class, who was once the Bishop of the ward, was completely unaware of the quote. So, no, I don't think we teach it and for sure, we don't know much about it. It creates a problem about where it all started - how did that person get His body?

As I've said many times, we know that God the Father was once a mortal and that we can become like Him. That's the limit of our knowledge on the subject. It's not very much.

I don't think he lied. We really don't know much about it and we don't teach it, not in church anyway. I once quoted from the KFD in a priesthood class, just last year. a person in the class, who was once the Bishop of the ward, was completely unaware of the quote. So, no, I don't think we teach it and for sure, we don't know much about it. It creates a problem about where it all started - how did that person get His body?

As I've said many times, we know that God the Father was once a mortal and that we can become like Him. That's the limit of our knowledge on the subject. It's not very much.
It was in all your literature, manuals, magazines, classes, talks, etc., for decades since Joseph Smith. Until Hinckley decided to re-market mormonism. All of us who are older than you understood it just fine. So did he.

I've already provided that information. Why don't you show me where the church has denied that God was once mortal?
This is an argument from absence. Any argument can be made on this reasoning.
For example, show me where the Church denied its connections to the illuminati, or show me where the Church specifically denied God transports from Kolob to Earth via spaceship.
So sad. I will try to restrict my comments on your posts to the doctrine that differs from what the church teaches. I'm not going to bicker with you over your demands for proof. I've given it.
In other words, you're just going to act as the crowd heckler without adding anything enlightening to the discussion. Got it.
That's really not much then you've been doing already.

Just send me the post where you cited your claim. If you're unwilling to search your own posts, or can't recall what you've already written, why would you think I'd want to? You've supposedly substantiated said claims, but it's too hard to recall or cite? This is a lame argument.
Your arguments don't differ much from those of our critics.
I'm not the one agreeing with them. You are.

Hinckley said “I don’t know that we teach it.” That was a lie. Of course he knew it was taught. He taught it too.
We teach divine potential.

We don't teach God was mortal. That's just cultural folklore.

If something gets repeated enough, because it's sensational, it does not mean it's automatically "doctrine". If cultural influences are to be confused with religious things, is the consumption of green jello also connected to our religion. Should the church have a cookbook of the orthodox method of making "funeral potatoes"?

Back