a very uplifting (small) book to help non-Catholics understand the Catholic faith

stjerome5

I read this book in about an hour, given to the Church by a benevolent soul unknown to yours truly

It is called Made for More (I believe... don't have it in front of me)

The guy who wrote it (Curtis Martin) was conceived out of wedlock and could have been aborted, but his mother allowed him to be born :) and he was adopted by a good Catholic family..

you really should read this book, whether you are Catholic or Protestant or whatever.. I've been a Christian for many years, have read many books but this one made things very clear, things that other Christians often struggle with... Example: Why are there so many Christian denominations, all teaching contradictory things and which one is right? He brings up the point:

While both camps believe the Bible is the Word of God

they disagree on what it MEANS

Example: Why are there so many Christian denominations, all teaching contradictory things and which one is right? He brings up the point:

The answer is obvious.
Catholics deny the concept of Sola Scriptura (even though the ECF's all taught it).
And they have an extra-Biblical authority (the "Magisterium"), which is another teaching authority, which teaches concepts foreign to Scripture.

Protestant denominations also disagree with each other insofar as they insist on holding unBiblical doctrines (such as "free will"), or more modernly, they accept sexual sin (such as homosexuality), female pastors, refuse to practice church discipline, etc. etc.

I read this book in about an hour, given to the Church by a benevolent soul unknown to yours truly

The guy who wrote it (Curtis Martin) was conceived out of wedlock and could have been aborted, but his mother allowed him to be born :) and he was adopted by a good Catholic family..

you really should read this book, whether you are Catholic or Protestant or whatever.. I've been a Christian for many years, have read many books but this one made things very clear, things that other Christians often struggle with... Example: Why are there so many Christian denominations, all teaching contradictory things and which one is right? He brings up the point:

The RCC often poses arguments that are nice and tidy and far from truth.
The RCC also has groups within it that disagree. If you want to make a one to one comparison between religious groups and the RCC, I would compare it to the Jehovah's Witnesses. They make the same claim, that outside their church you have chaos because there is one overarching authority telling them what is true. The similarities between the RCC method of interpreting scripture and cults are striking.
I've dabled the RCC off and on, lightly for years, so I didn't really understand it until I read James White's Roman Catholic Controversy. That is a MUST for accurately understanding the mainstream RCC.

Yes, this is one of the major cruxes of the problem. The mentality is that if you don't accept the obvious meaning, i.e. my understanding, then you don't accept what scripture plainly says.

The Protestant denominations will claim that it is only the RCC that pulls this, but everyone does it.

Before I go any further, I've been prevented from posting on this forum because some moderators don't pay attention to the fact that while I'm not Catholic, I am allowed to agree and support a Catholic position when I'm NOT posting on the Roman Catholic thread. This is NOT the Roman Catholic thread.

Some of my favorite authors are Roman Catholic. If there's one thing the Roman Catholic church can produce, it's some incredibly intelligent and fascinating authors. Sadly, too many Protestants refuse to even look at what they've written simply because of their own prejudicial biases.

As Paul points out, there are not Jews or Greeks, slave or free, Protestant or Catholic in the kingdom. God can call anyone wherever they may be for His purposes.

Thanks, but the Catholic Church has no truth in it. I don't see anything edifying or productive in it.

We understand it now. The problem isn't that we don't understand it. The problem is that it's not Biblical.

Back