About the "assumption of Mary"

The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary into heaven is a dogmatic tradition of Apostolic origin.

Among the feasts of the Saints this is the solemnity of solemnities. "Let the mind of man," says St.Peter Damian, "be occupied in declaring her magnificence; let his speech reflect her majesty. May the sovereign of the world deign to accept the good will of our lips, to aid our insufficiency, to illumine with her own light the sublimity of this day"

In his instructions to the newly-converted Bulgarians, Pope St. Nicholas I, who occupied the Apostolic See from 858 to 867, had already united these four solemnities (Christmas, Easter, Pentecost and the Assumption) when recommending the fasts of Lent, of the Ember days, and of the Vigils of these feasts: "Fasts," he says, "which the holy Roman Church has "long since received and observed."

St. Jerome eloquently declared the grandeur of this feast : "Incomparable as is she who thereon ascended glorious and happy to the sanctuary of heaven: a solemnity, the admiration of the heavenly hosts, the happiness of the citizens of our true country, who, not content with giving it one day as we do, celebrate it unceasingly in the eternal continuity of their veneration, of their love, and of their triumphant joy."

Certain ancient calendars give this feast the title of Sleep or Repose, dormitio or pausatio of the Blessed Virgin. The Greeks, from whom we have the expression, have always included in the solemnity the glorious triumph that followed her death. The same is to be said of the Syrians,
Chaldeans, Copts, and Armenians.

Thus the Supreme Pontiff, Pope Pius XII, pastor of all Christians and head of the Universal Church solemnly proclaimed in his declaration, Munificentissimus Deus, 1 November 1950: "By the authority of our Lord Jesus Christ, of the Blessed Apostles Peter and Paul, and by our own authority, we pronounce, declare, and define it to be a divinely revealed dogma: that the Immaculate Mother of God, the ever Virgin Mary, having completed the course of her earthly life, was assumed body and soul into heavenly glory."

Sancta dei genitrix ora pro nobis!
And the cow jumped over the moon.....

Yet you refuse to go by the Church that Jesus established and instead follow a church that came about 15 centuries later.
Jesus never established the RCC, and neither He nor His apostles taught as doctrine the unbiblical doctrines your church teaches--the 4 Marian Dogmas, Purgatory, Indulgences, popes, salvation by grace thru faith plus our works...the list goes on.

So, yes I refuse to "go by" your heterodoxical church.

Last edited:
Jesus never established the RCC, and neither He nor His apostles taught as doctrine the unbiblical doctrines your church teaches--the 4 Marian Dogmas, Purgatory, Indulgences, popes, salvation by grace thru faith plus our works...the list goes on.

So, yes I refuse to "go by" your heterodixical church.
My Church is not "heterodixical."

How can it be heterodoxical? It says it isn't! Shouldn't that settle the matter? ? ? ?

--Rich
Yes. That is how the Church settles matters. You are so used to varying doctrines in the Protestant world that error is not that big of a deal. No wonder no Protestant church claims to be the pillar and foundation of the truth. It doesn't dare!

Yes. That is how the Church settles matters. You are so used to varying doctrines in the Protestant world that error is not that big of a deal.

Wrong. It is a HUGE deal in my church. I cannot speak for others, but it is, in my church.
No wonder no Protestant church claims to be the pillar and foundation of the truth. It doesn't dare!
Your church dares to say so but it lies, since much of what it teaches adds to scripture, and is often contradictory to it. That is what it upholds, and what is at its foundation--lies, false teachings, and unbiblical practices. Shameful.

Yes. That is how the Church settles matters. You are so used to varying doctrines in the Protestant world that error is not that big of a deal. No wonder no Protestant church claims to be the pillar and foundation of the truth. It doesn't dare!
yes, catholics do bow to their men dictators.

do some self studying about Protestants. your posts say you only know what the rcc masters teach you about Protestants.

Wrong. It is a HUGE deal in my church. I cannot speak for others, but it is, in my church.

Your church dares to say so but it lies, since much of what it teaches adds to scripture, and is often contradictory to it. That is what it upholds, and what is at its foundation--lies, false teachings, and unbiblical practices. Shameful.
Scripture identifies the Church as the pillar and foundation of the truth, NOT ITSELF! You have it reversed, and then attack the Church for telling the truth.

You are so used to varying doctrines in the Protestant world that error is not that big of a deal.
Odd. My wife and I left a church on Long Island which we had attended for many years because the preacher was teaching the Kenotic Heresy (on Easter Sunday, no less!). We spoke with him and the elders, but they were insistant that they were right.

Then, here in NC, we visited several churches that turned out to be KJV-only. You see, as Protestants we have the right and responsibility to judge what we are hearing, and to take action if we disagree. (I'm skipping the hours of prayer and discussion we had before making the decision to move on.)

Another thing, we still consider them our brothers and sisters in Christ.
No wonder no Protestant church claims to be the pillar and foundation of the truth. It doesn't dare!
You are right. We don't dare to tempt God (Matt 4:7), nor proclaim how great we are (Matt 5:5). Consider Jesus' rebuke to the church of the Laodiceans:
Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked (Rev. 3:17)
They thought they were hot stuff, but Jesus said, "Nope!"

Then again, the Church of Jesus Christ consists not of brick and mortar buildings, nor of special tools and furnishings, nor even of certain words and rites. The Church of Jesus Christ consists of people. Common, ordinary people – for Jesus promised where two or three of us gather in His Name, there He is in the midst of them.

Scripture identifies the Church as the pillar and foundation of the truth, NOT ITSELF! You have it reversed, and then attack the Church for telling the truth.
pilgrim;
the church is not the Pillars, nor the Foundation;
The Church is to be built on the Pillars and foundation laid by Paul

#2: the Church of the Gentiles; (the RCC) is not the church of Christ;
The RCC is the Wild Evil Olive Tree
Paul went all over the Roman Empire
looking for a few Goodly Branches
he could graft into the true Church
the Good Native Olive Tree
Romans ch.11

Back