Abraham and Polygamy

Theo1689

So I"ve been looking at the life of Abraham, since the argument by Mormons is that the concept of "plural marriage" is supported by Abraham's alleged "polygamous" status.

1) Abram marries Sarai, and soon discovers she is barren (Gen. 11)
2) The Lord came to Abram, and told him where to settle, and that he would be a great nation, even at 75 years old (Gen. 12:1ff)
3) The Lord appeared to Abram, showing the land He would give to Abram's offspring
4) The Lord blessed the new land (this was after Egypt) to Abram's offspring forever (Gen. 13:14)
5) The Lord came to Abram, promising great reward. Abram responded, what's the use of a reward, if I have no offspring to pass it onto? (Gen. 15:1)
6) the Lord tells him "your very own son" will inherit it (Gen. 15:4)
7) Abram believed him, and it was counted to him for righteousness (Gen. 15:6);
8) the Lord promises Abram in Gen. 15:13 that his offspring will inherit the land
9) the Lord promises the land to Abram's offspring in Gen. 15:17.

10) Sari gives Hagar to Abram, and she bears him a son, Ishmael, at 86.
11) This creates contention between Sarai and Hagar, and between Sarai and Abram
12) In Gen. 17:15, the Lord promises to give Abram a son by Sarai, and renamed them Abraham ("fruitful") and Sarah ("laughing
When Abram was 99 (Gen. 17:1), the Lord appeared to him, “I will make a covenant between you and I, and I will multiply you greatly”.

Abram was renamed “Abraham” (“father of multitudes”), and Sarai renamed "Sarah".

So here's the thing....

1) If "plural marriage" is approved by God, then why did God never commanded (or even suggested to practise it?

2) If "plural marriage" is approved by God, and since it was known from the beginning that Sarai was barren, and the Lord repeatedly came to Abram, and Abram repeatedly brought this "problem" to God's attention, why did God never bring up, "take another wife"?

3) If "plural marriage" is approved by God, why were only Sarah's offspring blessed among those "many nations", and not from Abraham's seed through other women?

4) The orthodox interpretation of Abram and Sarai and Hagar is that infidelity leads to strife (Sarai vs. Hagar, Sarai vs. Abram), and that fidelity to Sarai is part and parcel of Abram's believing that God would bring him a son by Sarai, as God promised.

5) If it is true that "plural marriage", as argued by Mormons, is for the purpose of increased progeny, and to give opportunity for other women in a society with a man shortage, why is it that God didn't bless ANY of Joseph's "plural wives" with children?

Last edited:
I'm going to <bump> this, simply because it mistakenly got posted before I had a chance to finish writing it, and it might by marked to some as "read".

Smith lied in D and C 132, where he supposedly has God saying Abe's multiplying wives to himself was counted as righteousness. We Christians know better, that the Bible has God counting Abe's faith in God and His promises as righteousness.

Smith had no shame.

Smith lied in D and C 132, where he supposedly has God saying Abe's multiplying wives to himself was counted as righteousness. We Christians know better, that the Bible has God counting Abe's faith in God and His promises as righteousness.

Smith had no shame.

So God is "pre-emptively" blessing Abraham in Gen. 15 for something he would allegedly do later on in Gen. 16?

Mormons, tell me you're Biblically illiterate without actually telling me you're Biblically illiterate...

Mormonism uses the reasoning that God commands polygamy when He wants to “raise up a seed.” If there was ever a time to do that, it would have been with Adam and Noah. But He only gave them each one wife.

Monogamy is His plan, His way. He never commanded polygamy. He never condoned it. He may have tolerated humans who did it at times. But it always caused them trouble.

Abraham only had one wife at a time. He only remarried after Sarah died. Hagar was a servant he had a child with because Sarah didn’t trust what God had promised her. One Bible verse says Sarah gave him Hagar as a “wife,” only in the sense of sleeping with him and having a child with him. They weren’t married. And it caused huge problems. Abraham would have to answer for that between him and God.

The promise that he would have posterity that numbered like grains of sand could have been promised to Adam too. He has unnumbered posterity, and he only had one wife. There was never a need for polygamy. It didn’t come from God.

Joseph Smith was already chasing other women when he got the idea to try to legitimize it by getting a revelation from God to practice polygamy. He used Bible stories as justification. Then he kept embellishing it with angels threatening him with fiery swords if he didn’t do it. Spiritually blackmailing women and young girls into marrying him to insure their families’ eternal salvation. It was an ugly, putrid, evil thing he did. It didn’t come from God.

Mormonism uses the reasoning that God commands polygamy when He wants to “raise up a seed.” If there was ever a time to do that, it would have been with Adam and Noah. But He only gave them each one wife.

Monogamy is His plan, His way. He never commanded polygamy. He never condoned it. He may have tolerated humans who did it at times. But it always caused them trouble.

Abraham only had one wife at a time. He only remarried after Sarah died. Hagar was a servant he had a child with because Sarah didn’t trust what God had promised her. One Bible verse says Sarah gave him Hagar as a “wife,” only in the sense of sleeping with him and having a child with him. They weren’t married. And it caused huge problems. Abraham would have to answer for that between him and God.

The promise that he would have posterity that numbered like grains of sand could have been promised to Adam too. He has unnumbered posterity, and he only had one wife. There was never a need for polygamy. It didn’t come from God.

Joseph Smith was already chasing other women when he got the idea to try to legitimize it by getting a revelation from God to practice polygamy. He used Bible stories as justification. Then he kept embellishing it with angels threatening him with fiery swords if he didn’t do it. Spiritually blackmailing women and young girls into marrying him to insure their families’ eternal salvation. It was an ugly, putrid, evil thing he did. It didn’t come from God.
Exactly! And gullible Mormons fell for Smith's lies hook, line, sinker, bait, and boat.

Even the Book of Mormon teaches that polygamy is a sin

Jacob 2:24 Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord. 25 Wherefore, thus saith the Lord, I have led this people forth out of the land of Jerusalem, by the power of mine arm, that I might raise up unto me a righteous branch from the fruit of the loins of Joseph. 26 Wherefore, I the Lord God will not suffer that this people shall do like unto them of old. 27 Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none; 28 For I, the Lord God, delight in the chastity of women. And whoredoms are an abomination before me; thus saith the Lord of Hosts.

Well, D and C 132 takes precedent over the Book of Mormon. And contradicts it in many places. It is full of lies. And we know who the father of lies is, don't we?

Last edited:
Jacob 2:24 Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord. 25 Wherefore, thus saith the Lord, I have led this people forth out of the land of Jerusalem, by the power of mine arm, that I might raise up unto me a righteous branch from the fruit of the loins of Joseph. 26 Wherefore, I the Lord God will not suffer that this people shall do like unto them of old. 27 Wherefore, my brethren, hear me, and hearken to the word of the Lord: For there shall not any man among you have save it be one wife; and concubines he shall have none; 28 For I, the Lord God, delight in the chastity of women. And whoredoms are an abomination before me; thus saith the Lord of Hosts.
Oops! Maybe it will be explained that it really doesn't mean what it says.

So here's the thing....

1) If "plural marriage" is approved by God, then why did God never commanded (or even suggested to practise it?

I have another question to comport to that point.

How is it that Abraham was a polygamist until the day he died--and the Lord made this proclamation concerning Abraham--after Abraham was dead?

Genesis 26:4-5---King James Version
4 And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed;
5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

Could you explain how an adulterer would garner the praise of the Lord unto such honor He bestowed upon Abraham above? Is God a respector of persons?

And--if Abraham was indeed an adulterer--then how would Abraham escape this condemnation?

Galatians 5:19-21---King James Version
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

The scarlet letter--A--which Abraham wore the better part of his life for all to see--and God testified Abraham obeyed His commandments?

How did Abraham escape Paul's condemnation for such behavior(shall not inherit the kingdom of God.)--and attain unto the Lord's testimony Abraham obeyed His commandments--and his polygamy be adultery?

Please do explain that for us, as the anomaly there is more than obvious.

I have another question to comport to that point.

How is it that Abraham was a polygamist until the day he died--and the Lord made this proclamation concerning Abraham--after Abraham was dead?

Genesis 26:4-5---King James Version
4 And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed;
5 Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

Could you explain how an adulterer would garner the praise of the Lord unto such honor He bestowed upon Abraham above? Is God a respector of persons?

And--if Abraham was indeed an adulterer--then how would Abraham escape this condemnation?

Galatians 5:19-21---King James Version
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

The scarlet letter--A--which Abraham wore the better part of his life for all to see--and God testified Abraham obeyed His commandments?

How did Abraham escape Paul's condemnation for such behavior(shall not inherit the kingdom of God.)--and attain unto the Lord's testimony Abraham obeyed His commandments--and his polygamy be adultery?

Please do explain that for us, as the anomaly there is more than obvious.
Answering a question with a question. Just can't help yourself.

Interesting bit in Genesis 4. After Cain kills Abel, Cain has children, who have children, until we get to a descendant of Cain-the-fratricide, who is named Lamech.
Gen 4:19 And Lamech married two women, one named Adah and the other Zillah.
The women have children, and then we read:
Gen 4:23-24 Then Lamech said to his wives: “Adah and Zillah, hear my voice; wives of Lamech, listen to my speech. For I have slain a man for wounding me, a young man for striking me. If Cain is avenged sevenfold, then Lamech seventy-sevenfold."
So the first recorded case of a polygamist shows he has followed in the footsteps of his forebear, Cain. 🤔

<sigh>
We already have, MANY times.
Now stop harassing us.
We're tired of wasting our time with you.

Your insecurity in your beliefs is NOT our problem.
Yes, we have. I have done so, several times.

Apparently Mormonism doesn't promote good memories in its membership.

Back