Abraham and Polygamy

I am not sure I agree with you that Hagar was Abe's actual wife and "divorced" her, but I understand what you mean.
I'm going by the language highlighted here in Genesis 21:14....

14Early in the morning, Abraham got up, took bread and a skin of water, put them on Hagar’s shoulders, and sent her away with the boy.

Which is equated with divorce in Matthew 19:7...

7“Why then,” they asked, “did Moses order a man to give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?c

So, what Abraham did was divorce Hagar when he 'sent her away'. The problem for the Mormons being, they insist that Abraham had the same law that Christians do in this New Covenant, which they call the 'law of the gospel', but we can see that's not true because Abraham divorced Hagar, yet God praised him as someone who kept his law. So that shows us that Abraham did not have the same law we do. If he did he would not have divorced.

But, actually, if he had the same law as us, he would not have even taken her as a second in the first place! For when Jesus' told us, "9Now I tell you" in Matthew 19:9, he was making polygamy no longer allowed. For if taking a second wife via divorce is wrong, because it is adultery, how more so if you take a second wife while you're still married to her!

But I don't expect Mormons to acknowledge this truth. They will continue in the breaking of the 7th Commandment in the light of this revelation and damn their own souls by their own insistence that justification is by keeping the commandments of God, which they boldly proclaim they do, but, as we can see, they do not do.

...where there is no law, there is no sin.
Yes. That is the exact scripture I had in mind (Romans 4:15). That quickly defuses the Mormon argument that if Abraham's polygamy was adultery then he was in sin, which he could not have been since God said he kept his laws. But since God says he did keep God's law that shows us there was no law against adultery (polygamy) at that time - "where there is no law, there is no sin."

Last edited:
Back