Abraham Kuyper The Renown Calvinist Theologian

Amazing how this is EXACTLY what I have been saying for a few years and is rejected by so many here.

Why is that ?

A Calvinist after my own heart- Praise Jesus !

Before God created heaven and earth with all their inhabitants, the eternal Love of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit shone with unseen splendor in the divine Being. Love exists, not for the sake of the world, but for God's sake; and when the world came into existence, Love remained unchanged; and if every creature were to disappear, it would remain just as rich and glorious as ever. Love exists and works in the Eternal Being apart from the creature; and its radiation upon the, creature is but a feeble reflection of its being.

Love is not God, but God is Love; and He is sufficient to Himself to love absolutely and forever. He has no need of the creature, and the exercise of His Love did not begin with the creature whom He could love, but it flows and springs eternally in the Love-life of the Triune God. God is Love; its perfection, divine beauty, real dimensions, and holiness are not found in men, not even in the best of God's children, but scintillate only around the Throne of God.

The unity of Love with the Confession of the Trinity is the starting-point from which we proceed to base Love independently in God, absolutely independent of the creature or anything creaturely. This is not to make the divine Trinity a philosophic deduction from essential love. That is unlawful; if God had not revealed this mystery in His Word we should be totally ignorant of it. But since the Scripture puts the Triune Being before us as the Object of our adoration, and upon almost every page most highly exalts the mutual Love of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and delineates it as an Eternal Love, we know and plainly see that this holy Love may never be represented but as springing from the mutual love of the divine Persons.

Hence through the mystery of the Trinity, the Love which is in God and is God obtains its independent existence, apart from the creature, independent of the emotions of mind and heart; and it rises as a sun, with its own fire and rays, outside of man, in God, in whom it rests and from whom it radiates.

In this way we eradicate every comparison of the Love of God with our love. In this way the false mingling ceases. In principle we resist the reversing of positions whereby arrogant man had succeeded in copying from himself a so-called God of Love, and into silencing all adoration. In this way the soul returns to the blessed confession that God is Love, and the way of divine mercy and pity is opened whereby the brightness of that Sun can radiate in a human way, i.e., in a finite and imperfect manner to and in the human heart, to the praise of God.

http://christianbookshelf.org/kuyper/the_work_of_the_holy_spirit/xviii_love_in_the_triune.htm
Those whom you call "Calvinists" have believed this for a very long time, even if not all are able to articulate it so poetically.

Amazing how this is EXACTLY what I have been saying for a few years and is rejected by so many here.

Why is that ?

A Calvinist after my own heart- Praise Jesus !

Before God created heaven and earth with all their inhabitants, the eternal Love of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit shone with unseen splendor in the divine Being. Love exists, not for the sake of the world, but for God's sake; and when the world came into existence, Love remained unchanged; and if every creature were to disappear, it would remain just as rich and glorious as ever. Love exists and works in the Eternal Being apart from the creature; and its radiation upon the, creature is but a feeble reflection of its being.

Love is not God, but God is Love; and He is sufficient to Himself to love absolutely and forever. He has no need of the creature, and the exercise of His Love did not begin with the creature whom He could love, but it flows and springs eternally in the Love-life of the Triune God. God is Love; its perfection, divine beauty, real dimensions, and holiness are not found in men, not even in the best of God's children, but scintillate only around the Throne of God.

The unity of Love with the Confession of the Trinity is the starting-point from which we proceed to base Love independently in God, absolutely independent of the creature or anything creaturely. This is not to make the divine Trinity a philosophic deduction from essential love. That is unlawful; if God had not revealed this mystery in His Word we should be totally ignorant of it. But since the Scripture puts the Triune Being before us as the Object of our adoration, and upon almost every page most highly exalts the mutual Love of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and delineates it as an Eternal Love, we know and plainly see that this holy Love may never be represented but as springing from the mutual love of the divine Persons.

Hence through the mystery of the Trinity, the Love which is in God and is God obtains its independent existence, apart from the creature, independent of the emotions of mind and heart; and it rises as a sun, with its own fire and rays, outside of man, in God, in whom it rests and from whom it radiates.

In this way we eradicate every comparison of the Love of God with our love. In this way the false mingling ceases. In principle we resist the reversing of positions whereby arrogant man had succeeded in copying from himself a so-called God of Love, and into silencing all adoration. In this way the soul returns to the blessed confession that God is Love, and the way of divine mercy and pity is opened whereby the brightness of that Sun can radiate in a human way, i.e., in a finite and imperfect manner to and in the human heart, to the praise of God.

http://christianbookshelf.org/kuyper/the_work_of_the_holy_spirit/xviii_love_in_the_triune.htm
I almost missed this, it is outstanding!:love:

Synonyms for Love

adore
care for
benevolent
fond affection
treasure
devoted to
attached
hold dear
think the world of
adulate
kind
considerate
relish
deeply appreciate
partial to
passion
honor
forgiving

Antonyms for love

hate
dislike
abhor
dislike
scorn
detest
abominate
wrath
retribution
anger
detest
rude
arrogant
envy
unkind
boastful
dishonor
grudgeful

Does anyone get the picture yet ?

1 Cor 13
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.8 Love never fails.

Matthew 22:37-40
Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.

conclusion : Do you know and understand - God is Love , 1 John 4:8 ?

hope this helps !!!
Matthew 22:37-40
Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’

Yes

#28 , @Theo1689

this is what people who are / different / than us do.

things that we disagree with or don't like always

this does not make them against ---- God /Jesus

but maybe very zealous over -- (perceived) truth

not yet seeing / understanding maybe that they /we

know only "in part" .......... not yet knowing many

of the whys and hows of all of Creation and God

-- a very big task of fathoming, which starts with

following Jesus / God -- but does not end with

the first things, or second, or third of things we learn /

or become ... but (should ) continue and grow ...........

…17Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 18And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into His image with intensifying glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit. -- 2 Corinthians 3:18

The fact is I've been right regarding God is love in-spite of all the resistance here just because I said it, but when a Calvinist says the same thing all of sudden he is right. Things that make you go hmmmmm.
Now, now, Chalcedon! Why don't you admit that what the OP states is not all that you have been saying, regarding God's love, nor is any of it what have been the bones of contention?

#28 , @Theo1689

this is what people who are / different / than us do.

things that we disagree with or don't like always

this does not make them against ---- God /Jesus

but maybe very zealous over -- (perceived) truth

not yet seeing / understanding maybe that they /we

know only "in part" .......... not yet knowing many

of the whys and hows of all of Creation and God

-- a very big task of fathoming, which starts with

following Jesus / God -- but does not end with

the first things, or second, or third of things we learn /

or become ... but (should ) continue and grow ...........

…17Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 18And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into His image with intensifying glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit. -- 2 Corinthians 3:18

Where the spirit of the Lord is there is freedom and I'm free, free to run and play in the Lord'
Where the spirit of the Lord if there is freedom! Where the spirit of the Lord if there is freedom! There is peace, there is love, there is joy It is for freedom, He set us free!

Freedom-Darrell Evans

I love his music from so long ago. It STILL makes me so happy. I love praising the Lord in song!!!

Thanks for affirming in Love within the Trinity there was no wrath from Father to Son on the cross its a man made doctrine.

hope this helps !!!
Question: Is love antithetical to wrath? I'm trying to discern what leads you from intra-Trinitarian love to a denial of the Father's wrath upon the Son on the cross. Again, is it because you believe love to be antithetical to wrath?

Me either since it’s the biblical view of God which the wrath of God not falling on the Son thread reflects:)
I'll ask again.

Question: Is love antithetical to wrath? I'm trying to discern what leads you from intra-Trinitarian love to a denial of the Father's wrath upon the Son on the cross. Again, is it because you believe love to be antithetical to wrath?

If you don't want to answer, that's fine. If you do answer, then know that I've already written something up that argues against the idea that "love is antithetical to wrath." However, as best as I can discern, I "think" that you hold that the two are in opposition. The Father cannot be loving toward the Son if He is wrathful toward the sin Jesus is bearing. <--I really think that is your position.

I'll ask again.

If you don't want to answer, that's fine. If you do answer, then know that I've already written something up that argues against the idea that "love is antithetical to wrath." However, as best as I can discern, I "think" that you hold that the two are in opposition. The Father cannot be loving toward the Son if He is wrathful toward the sin Jesus is bearing. <--I really think that is your position.
That depends on the context. I have explained that in the wrath thread. But I will state it again here. There was/is no anger, retribution, indignation, vengeance ( all synonyms for wrath ) within the Trinity. God within His Eternal Being is love , not wrath. There is love between the Father, Son and Holy Spirit relationally, not wrath. Wrath in the Godhead is always falling upon the wicked and never the righteous. I've written paragraphs on this in the other thread and have documented it with scripture and definitions from lexicons. Wrath is never once mentioned in its over 600 uses in scripture falling on the Son. That is the PSA doctrine formed during the dark ages. It never existed prior to that time.

hope this helps !!!

That depends on the context. I have explained that in the wrath thread. But I will state it again here. There was/is no anger, retribution, indignation, vengeance ( all synonyms for wrath ) within the Trinity. God within His Eternal Being is love , not wrath. There is love between the Father, Son and Holy Spirit relationally, not wrath. Wrath in the Godhead is always falling upon the wicked and never the righteous. I've written paragraphs on this in the other thread and have documented it with scripture and definitions from lexicons. Wrath is never once mentioned in its over 600 uses in scripture falling on the Son. That is the PSA doctrine formed during the dark ages. It never existed prior to that time.

hope this helps !!!
Thank you for taking the time to answer.

Back