Advice to Mormons from a Former BYU Professor

Pew Study is not God nor is it scripture.
True, but at least a well documented study, it may not include you, since you may be one of the more studious of the Scriptures.. but in general the LDS church leads out in knowledge of the Bible even when we are accused of not using it much ... go figure.

A Pew Research Center ---- big whoop! Pews don't save.

I'll remind you of that the next time you start recounting your varied stories.

For now--when are we going to start the Biblical discussions?

1 Timothy 4:16---King James Version
16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

A Pew Research Center ---- big whoop! Pews don't save. You took Millet's advice and didn't answer the question that was asked.
I am not a Mormon, but let me attempt to explain what I think the poster meant:

"Do not throw your pearls before swine."

In other words--do not engage people who clearly are not open to what you are saying, are only looking to debate, argue, or otherwise show you up. Engage only with those who have open hearts and minds.

Having engaged Mormon missionaries, I find that this is exactly what they do. They aren't interested in debating people. If they sense you are just looking for a pervebail fight--(debate and argument) they will leave.

Makes sense to me. As a Catholic I would follow this advice and encourage other Catholics to follow it too.

I watched a video on YOUTUBE called something like "Christian owns Mormon Missionaries." I am not Mormon, but even I was upset at the video. All the alleged "Christian" wanted to do was make a fool out of them. There is nothing Christian in that. I think the professor was warning against things like that too.

Any Mormons, if I got wrong what was said, feel free to correct me.

True, but at least a well documented study, it may not include you, since you may be one of the more studious of the Scriptures.. but in general the LDS church leads out in knowledge of the Bible even when we are accused of not using it much ... go figure.

If Mormons know the Bible so well, Luke says Jesus was circumsied and Mary went thru her purefiction rights yet they did pay for redemming him like the Jews are told to do ? How come ?

What does the Bible say about redeeming the first born?

“The first offspring from every womb belongs to Me, and all your male livestock, the first offspring from cattle and sheep. You shall redeem with a lamb the first offspring from a donkey; and if you do not redeem it, then you shall break its neck. You shall redeem all the firstborn of your sons. None shall appear before Me empty-handed.

Mormons use the Bible a lot these days (for cherry picking mostly).

We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

“I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book."
Joseph Smith

Last edited:

Is that the response one gives when those Biblical verses violate their theology?

1 Timothy 4:16---King James Version
16 Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

Those cherries have grown to the size of boulders!

Pew Study is not God nor is it scripture.
Besides, Barna would be a better source regarding Christianity. Although many denominations have shown a slide towards disbelief in some of the key tenets of Christianity, many of the more conservative denominations are still standing strong in those areas.

Isn't Millet the weasel that instructed the mishies (on a video) in training to not answer the questions that people asked them, but to answer the questions that people should have asked them. IOW, be dishonest about what the SLC sect really teaches in an attempt to hook them with their false doctrines. I know that drill firsthand!
Dishonesty has been the bread and butter of Mormonism from the get go. I have been reading through the book Wife Number 19, written by a woman who left Mormonism. The leaders of Mormonism hid or lied about the unpopular aspects of their religion to prospective converts - namely polygamy and celestial marriage which was taking place in the early history of the cult.

I am not a Mormon, but let me attempt to explain what I think the poster meant:

"Do not throw your pearls before swine."

In other words--do not engage people who clearly are not open to what you are saying, are only looking to debate, argue, or otherwise show you up. Engage only with those who have open hearts and minds.

Having engaged Mormon missionaries, I find that this is exactly what they do. They aren't interested in debating people. If they sense you are just looking for a pervebail fight--(debate and argument) they will leave.

Makes sense to me. As a Catholic I would follow this advice and encourage other Catholics to follow it too.

I watched a video on YOUTUBE called something like "Christian owns Mormon Missionaries." I am not Mormon, but even I was upset at the video. All the alleged "Christian" wanted to do was make a fool out of them. There is nothing Christian in that. I think the professor was warning against things like that too.

Any Mormons, if I got wrong what was said, feel free to correct me.
:love: ? ? :p :cool:

Dishonesty has been the bread and butter of Mormonism from the get go. I have been reading through the book Wife Number 19, written by a woman who left Mormonism. The leaders of Mormonism hid or lied about the unpopular aspects of their religion to prospective converts - namely polygamy and celestial marriage which was taking place in the early history of the cult.
Can you name those lies or are you just posting speculation and of course you source would be great for validation... not talking about the book just the lies you gleaned from it...

We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

“I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book."
Joseph Smith
Actually I study it to come closer to God and His Literal Son Jesus Christ. I read it to learn how to get revelation and promptings... you see we still say God speaks to the world and not just by scripture... real revelation and not that which came 2000 yrs ago and now they say God is dead to speaking or doing miracles... not us, we believe in revelation and miracles even today.

Actually I study it to come closer to God and His Literal Son Jesus Christ. I read it to learn how to get revelation and promptings... you see we still say God speaks to the world and not just by scripture... real revelation and not that which came 2000 yrs ago and now they say God is dead to speaking or doing miracles... not us, we believe in revelation and miracles even today.
The Book of Mormon agrees with God the Father and Jesus taught by the Creeds of the Fourth and Fifth Century

The Book of Mormon agrees with God the Father and Jesus taught by the Creeds of the Fourth and Fifth Century

That's probably true to some degree, as to the language used.

The Traditional Jews, and the critics here-- probably agree with the OT language, but not the NT:

1 Corinthians 8:6---King James Version (KJV)
6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

1 Timothy 2:5--King James Version (KJV)
5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Ephesians 4:4-6--King James Version (KJV)

4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

Can you name those lies or are you just posting speculation and of course you source would be great for validation... not talking about the book just the lies you gleaned from it...
Missionaries would go into places such as England and Scandinavia. There were rumors of polygamy in the Mormon settlement in Utah. The Missionaries lied saying of course not! The poor souls discovered when it was too late that there was polygamy when they got there.

Back