Alberta COVID statistics: a hypothetical scenario

Reepicheep

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that the following three statements are true:

(1) 99% of Albertans are triple vaccinated against COVID,
(2) there are currently 1000 Albertans hospitalized with COVID, and
(3) exactly 500 of the hospitalized Albertans are vaccinated, and 500 not vaccinated.

Question: since vaccinated Albertans make up 50% of COVID hospitalizations, do these statistics prove that being vaccinated provides no protection against COVID?

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that the following three statements are true:

(3) exactly 500 of the hospitalized Albertans are vaccinated, and 500 not vaccinated.

Question: since vaccinated Albertans make up 50% of COVID hospitalizations, do these statistics prove that being vaccinated provides no protection against COVID?
no

That seems to be their “argument.”

What it means is whatever already know the stab is irrelevant.

no, it is clear evidence of how effective the vaccines are.

Tomorrow's lesson will be on "the sky is blue."
So the vast majority of people who get covid wont ever need hospitalization and wont die but you think the stab is effetive? LMBO Stabbed hypnotized zombies.

So the vast majority of people who get covid wont ever need hospitalization and wont die but you think the stab is effetive? LMBO Stabbed hypnotized zombies.
Yes, the vaccine is clearly effective. The evidence is that almost everyone dying from COVID is unvaccinated.

Few crazy, right-wing misinformation campaigns have been proven so clearly wrong in real-time like this one.

Yes, the vaccine is clearly effective. The evidence is that almost everyone dying from COVID is unvaccinated.

Few crazy, right-wing misinformation campaigns have been proven so clearly wrong in real-time like this one.
I've told you people this a thousand times, that's been true since day one. It's not the least bit effective as you can't point to one person who got stabbed and tell me they would have died had they gotten covid and not been stabbed.

The fact that you declare everything in opposition to your narrative "misinformation" or "crazy source" makes your argument less and less compelling.

That seems to be their “argument.”
Exactly. In statistics, this error is known as a "base rate fallacy".

I used to think that anti-vaxxers were deliberately misrepresenting COVID statistics, but I'm now convinced that in most cases they are making a mistake because of a lack of understanding of statistics. What changed my mind is, a week or so ago, the Premier of Saskatchewan made this exact mistake in claiming that vaccinations provided no protection against COVID. If a presumably educated politician with access to medical consultants would make such a blunder, it is understandable that a layperson with a minimal math and statistics background would make the same mistake.

Why experts say Premier Moe's claim vaccines no longer protect against COVID-19 is based on misunderstanding

What evidence?

The evidence is readily available, you need only look.

Unvaccinated Albertans in their sixties who catch COVID are 41x as likely to die than a similar person who is vaccinated.

Overall (i.e., looking at the entire population and not a particular age group), unvaccinated British Columbians who catch COVID are 40x as likely to die than a similar person who is vaccinated.

And so on.

The pro jabbers would tell you if 100% of the people were jabbed and if 100% of those jabbed died..the jabbed still worked because they would have died harder.

The evidence is readily available, you need only look.

Unvaccinated Albertans in their sixties who catch COVID are 41x as likely to die than a similar person who is vaccinated.

Overall (i.e., looking at the entire population and not a particular age group), unvaccinated British Columbians who catch COVID are 40x as likely to die than a similar person who is vaccinated.

And so on.
Proof?

The pro jabbers would tell you if 100% of the people were jabbed and if 100% of those jabbed died..the jabbed still worked because they would have died harder.
Do you understand the hypothetic situation I presented in the initial post of this thread? And, if you understand it, can you answer the question I pose?

It doesn't protect the vaccinated who become infected with COVID nor has it protected those vaccinated who die from COVID.

Exactly. In statistics, this error is known as a "base rate fallacy".

I used to think that anti-vaxxers were deliberately misrepresenting COVID statistics, but I'm now convinced that in most cases they are making a mistake because of a lack of understanding of statistics. What changed my mind is, a week or so ago, the Premier of Saskatchewan made this exact mistake in claiming that vaccinations provided no protection against COVID. If a presumably educated politician with access to medical consultants would make such a blunder, it is understandable that a layperson with a minimal math and statistics background would make the same mistake.

Why experts say Premier Moe's claim vaccines no longer protect against COVID-19 is based on misunderstanding
What specific protections does it provide?

It doesn't protect the vaccinated who become infected with COVID nor has it protected those vaccinated who die from COVID.
You didn't answer my question. Please reread the first post in this thread, and answer the question. I need an indication of your understanding of statistics before I can attempt to convince you your beliefs about the vaccinated are erroneous.

Back