Aliens?

Gondwanaland

This questions is mostly directed at atheists / agnostics. Do you believe that there is life anywhere in the universe other than on earth?

If so, why?

If not, why not?
I think it is likely there's life just in our solar system (or has been - perhaps not currently extant). I think it's highly likely there is/has been life elsewhere in the universe.

Now, whether that life is currently still extant, exists in a form our current science can recognize, or exists in a sapient form, that's much more up for question/speculation

This questions is mostly directed at atheists / agnostics. Do you believe that there is life anywhere in the universe other than on earth?

If so, why?

If not, why not?
I think it's very likely based on probability that there are billions of stars that can support a planet like earth. There is nothing special about earth, so a similar situation can't be ruled out.

Against the above, life arising could require a very specific chain of events that has a greater probability (of not arising) than the situation described above.

HillsboroMom

I think it is likely there's life just in our solar system (or has been - perhaps not currently extant). I think it's highly likely there is/has been life elsewhere in the universe.

Now, whether that life is currently still extant, exists in a form our current science can recognize, or exists in a sapient form, that's much more up for question/speculation
Thanks for your input.

Are you an atheist and/or agnostic?

HillsboroMom

I think it's very likely based on probability that there are billions of stars that can support a planet like earth. There is nothing special about earth, so a similar situation can't be ruled out.

Against the above, life arising could require a very specific chain of events that has a greater probability (of not arising) than the situation described above.
I agree with you.

And same question to you as Gondwanaland. Are you an atheist?

HouOz

If so, why?

If not, why not?
Yes.
There may or may not be sentient life but life seems to have a propensity to "live". The fantastic variety we see on this planet - which also re-evolved after several extinction level events, supports that notion.
There is a chance that microbial life arrived here on an asteroid or meteor and if so, that then raises the question of where did it originate.

HouOz

I disagree - and here we have waded into a space about which I actually know a little bit. We certainly do not know of other universes to judge probability, as you say. But we do know of other planets, including one on which life has arisen - ours. We can look at the circumstances that led to life coming into existence on earth (to the extent that we know them), and the circumstances on other planets on which life has not come into existence. We can then extrapolate that to other solar systems in other galaxies. Add that to the extra-solar planets we've discovered, and I think it becomes meaningful to say that it is probably that life other than ours exists elsewhere in the universe.
And perhaps even elsewhere in our own solar system.
One of Jupiter's moons, Enceledus I believe, has an icy covering - holding the tantalizing prospect of liquid water beneath.