An Atheistic Death Cult

Unknown Soldier

Has anybody here visited the Internet Infidel (IIDB) discussion boards? I've had some bizarre experiences there. As far as I know almost all of the members there are atheists, but they act like a fanatical religious cult. For example, just recently a member of their staff told me that if she says anything to me, then I know it's true. Here's her exact words:
You know that I’m a true atheist because I told you I was.
Anything different than that is you trying to assert that I’m not.
But what really gets me about IIDB is their fanatical support for suicide. Check this out:
I look forward to death. Maybe not the dying part, which might suck, but the being dead part.
And if you think that's bad, then consider this:
You have an opinion. Opinions are like arseholes; Everyone has one, and they're often full of shit.

I have a right to die at the time and in the circumstances of my choosing, as does everyone else; And if you stand in the way of my right to my own fucking life, I will drive right on over you.

Who the hell do you think you are, making pontifical pronouncements about the lives of complete strangers?
Is IIDB an atheistic death cult? It looks that way to me.

Has anybody here visited the Internet Infidel (IIDB) discussion boards? I've had some bizarre experiences there. As far as I know almost all of the members there are atheists, but they act like a fanatical religious cult. For example, just recently a member of their staff told me that if she says anything to me, then I know it's true. Here's her exact words:

But what really gets me about IIDB is their fanatical support for suicide. Check this out:

I used to be on it back in 2003/4. It's actually where I began talking to atheists.
It struck me as a bunch of angry ex-pastors/priests/intelligentsia who just liked being in an echo chamber.

I used to be on it back in 2003/4. It's actually where I began talking to atheists.
It struck me as a bunch of angry ex-pastors/priests/intelligentsia who just liked being in an echo chamber.
That sounds about right. They want to preach to the choir. Alternate viewpoints are not to be tolerated.

That sounds about right. They want to preach to the choir. Alternate viewpoints are not to be tolerated.
No! Completely intolerant of any biblical discussion. They eventually handed me my hat and invited me to leave.

Every so often I'd drop back in. My membership ceased when they updated software. I think that was around 12 years ago, maybe less.

Did you have the same username? I used to post there too, before it imploded. Might have been a year or two later.
There is a "SteveB" at IIDB. He constantly insults and harasses me with impunity there. If I say something like that to him, then I've gotten warned by the mods not to insult him!

No! Completely intolerant of any biblical discussion. They eventually handed me my hat and invited me to leave.
They've shut down some of my threads when they weren't faring well against me. They constantly complain about my threads and seek to censor me. In my opinion, if a forum is present on the internet, then all opinions on the issues should be tolerated, and that includes Christian opinions being tolerated on atheist boards.
Every so often I'd drop back in. My membership ceased when they updated software. I think that was around 12 years ago, maybe less.
They've been around a long time and are the same yesterday, today, and forever. So they preach the same inane nonsense they've always preached. It goes to show how some atheists can be as fanatical, irrational, and close-minded as the religious are.

They've shut down some of my threads when they weren't faring well against me. They constantly complain about my threads and seek to censor me. In my opinion, if a forum is present on the internet, then all opinions on the issues should be tolerated, and that includes Christian opinions being tolerated on atheist boards.

They've been around a long time and are the same yesterday, today, and forever. So they preach the same inane nonsense they've always preached. It goes to show how some atheists can be as fanatical, irrational, and close-minded as the religious are.
They actually were a different named forum back in my day. They changed their name, and the software used.

I recall my last discussion on their forum, one guy stepped in and told me flat out- we're all ex pastors, priests, etc who left our jobs, and churches because we no longer believed.

They further stated that they would not allow any discussion using the Bible, or anything supporting the biblical description of Christianity.

My pastor at the time reminded me of Paul's warning to Timothy,

They have a form of godliness but deny the power of the gospel of Jesus. 2 Timothy 3:5.

Fwiw, I generally avoid christian sections of forums because it's little more than an echo chamber, preaching to the choir, and more infighting (sibling rivalry battles) are rife.

I don't do what I do because I like, or see value in arguments. Paul is quite clear that we who believe don't depend on the wisdom of men to base our faith, but on the power of God. 1 Corinthians 2:5.

He further stated that God has chosen the foolishness of preaching the gospel because his foolishness is wiser, and his weakness is stronger than the wisdom and strength of humanity.

So, what you're describing is exactly what they told me back when.

I don't know anything about that board. It is unfortunate if they are insulting and harassing you. They should not.

As far as the "death cult" I don't know what that poster meant but for me when I became an atheist it took a while to get used to the idea that after death comes non existence, but once I accepted it I completely stopped fearing it. Why be afraid of something I will never experience? Death doesn't bother me at all. If I die tonight that is fine.

As far as "I have a right to die at the time and in the circumstances of my choosing, as does everyone else..." I don't know what that poster meant but I don't disagree with the general notion. I think MAID (medical aid in dying) should be available to almost anyone. That doesn't mean I encourage anyone to commit suicide but I don't think I have the right to tell another person they must keep living. It's your life, you do what you want with it.

When I became an atheist I became much happier. Most christians have no clue how depressing and morose it is to constantly be thinking about death, crucifixions, the afterlife, salvation, heaven, hell, suffering, etc. When I became an atheist I could ditch all that and focus on having a happy life.

I don't know anything about that board. It is unfortunate if they are insulting and harassing you. They should not.
It's an old board. You're not missing anything.
As far as the "death cult" I don't know what that poster meant but for me when I became an atheist it took a while to get used to the idea that after death comes non existence, but once I accepted it I completely stopped fearing it. Why be afraid of something I will never experience? Death doesn't bother me at all. If I die tonight that is fine.
Christianity has been referred to as a death cult because Jesus died for our sins.
He further stated that if anyone wants to be his follower, they must pick up their cross (an instrument of death), deny themselves (a daily act of deliberately choosing to live differently from, and choosing to ignore our baser appetites) daily and follow Jesus.

As far as " I don't know what that poster meant but I have a right to die at the time and in the circumstances of my choosing, as does everyone else..." but t I don't disagree with the general notion. I think MAID (medical aid in dying) should be available to almost anyone.
the reason we oppose this is because God (whom you have chosen to believe doesn't exist) gave us life, and is the only one who has the right to decide when we die.
That doesn't mean I encourage anyone to commit suicide but I don't think I have the right to tell another person they must keep living. It's your life, you do what you want with it.
seems like you're confused about the nature of MAID. It actually is suicide. The very concept of "I have the right to die .... of my choosing" is in fact suicide.
When I became an atheist I became much happier.
the description of spiritual death.
it's described in the Bible as the point at which God acknowledges your choice and walks away from you, leaving you alone. The most horrendous thing possible.

Rom 1:28 WEB Even as they refused to have God in their knowledge, God gave them up to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not fitting;

Most christians have no clue how depressing and morose it is to constantly be thinking about death, crucifixions, the afterlife, salvation, heaven, hell, suffering, etc.

Sounds like you never actually understood biblical Christianity.

Well, you appear to have made your choice.

When I became an atheist I could ditch all that and focus on having a happy life.
Rom 1:28 WEB Even as they refused to have God in their knowledge, God gave them up to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not fitting;

Eph 4:17-19 WEB 17 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that you no longer walk as the rest of the Gentiles also walk, in the futility of their mind, 18 being darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the hardening of their hearts. 19 They, having become callous, gave themselves up to lust, to work all uncleanness with greediness.

Futile thinking.
Calloused being.
Ignorance of the truth
Hardening of the heart.
Lust-filled living. We use to describe this as epicureanism. I think some today refer to it as hedonism.
Generally it just means that you live how you want, on your terms. You are the captain of your own life.

Ironically, I was doing this 50 years ago... I found it empty, unsatisfying, Futile....

Well, you enjoy yourself. I hope you find out exactly what I did before you die, or MAID yourself...

He did say,

Whosoever will call on his name shall be saved.

Is that really the case? Or does one first have to keep Jesus' teachings so as to receive evidence that He is real, which would then make possible the belief which would allow one to be saved?

Is that really the case? Or does one first have to keep Jesus' teachings so as to receive evidence that He is real, which would then make possible the belief which would allow one to be saved?
What do you want?

If you don't actually want to know YHVH, he's not going to waste your time. Especially when he stated,

and

Isa 26:10-11 WEB 10 Let favor be shown to the wicked, yet he will not learn righteousness. In the land of uprightness he will deal wrongfully, and will not see Yahweh’s majesty. 11 Yahweh, your hand is lifted up, yet they don’t see; but they will see your zeal for the people and be disappointed. Yes, fire will consume your adversaries.

So, you have to decide for yourself what you actually want.

I've repeatedly explained my position.

You however keep looking for permission to continue doing nothing.

What do you actually want?

Reactions: BMS
As far as "I have a right to die at the time and in the circumstances of my choosing, as does everyone else..." I don't know what that poster meant but I don't disagree with the general notion. I think MAID (medical aid in dying) should be available to almost anyone. That doesn't mean I encourage anyone to commit suicide but I don't think I have the right to tell another person they must keep living. It's your life, you do what you want with it.
Would you insult, harass, and threaten with physical violence anybody who opposes suicide? If so, then head right over to IIDB. That's how they show their compassion in dying.

It's an old board. You're not missing anything.

Christianity has been referred to as a death cult because Jesus died for our sins.
He further stated that if anyone wants to be his follower, they must pick up their cross (an instrument of death), deny themselves (a daily act of deliberately choosing to live differently from, and choosing to ignore our baser appetites) daily and follow Jesus.

the reason we oppose this is because God (whom you have chosen to believe doesn't exist) gave us life, and is the only one who has the right to decide when we die.

seems like you're confused about the nature of MAID. It actually is suicide. The very concept of "I have the right to die .... of my choosing" is in fact suicide.

it's described in the Bible as the point at which God acknowledges your choice and walks away from you, leaving you alone. The most horrendous thing possible.

Well, you appear to have made your choice.

Eph 4:17-19 WEB 17 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that you no longer walk as the rest of the Gentiles also walk, in the futility of their mind, 18 being darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the hardening of their hearts. 19 They, having become callous, gave themselves up to lust, to work all uncleanness with greediness.

Futile thinking.
Calloused being.
Ignorance of the truth
Hardening of the heart.
Lust-filled living. We use to describe this as epicureanism. I think some today refer to it as hedonism.
Generally it just means that you live how you want, on your terms. You are the captain of your own life.

Ironically, I was doing this 50 years ago... I found it empty, unsatisfying, Futile....

Well, you enjoy yourself. I hope you find out exactly what I did before you die, or MAID yourself...

He did say,

You don' realize how negative and depressing christianity really is until you get out of it and replace it with something positive. It is not just because "jesus died for our sins", the whole thing is about death, suffering, murder, heaven, hell. Who wants to spend a life like that? It is so morose. I now choose to ignore that and be happy everyday.
Right. I have seen too many people die very long deaths full of suffering only to finally come to the end that was inevitably coming anyway. I demand the legal right to avoid that if I choose AND have a doctor help me without having to worry about being arrested. I also fully support your right to choose to have them inject you full of medicines, stick tubes in every orafice, and keep any slight remnant of life going for decades if that is what you want. It is your life, I don't get to tell you how to live it, nor end it.

There are different types of suicide. If the need ever came I DON'T want to jump off a building and possibly hurt someone, nor shoot myself in the head and lay on the ground bleeding out for a minute. I'd like to lie in my own bed, on a nice day, the window open, maybe a favorite song playing, and calmly and peacefully swallow a little cup of Pentobarbital and in a minute close my eyes and that's it. A life well lived and a life well ended.
Actually I refer to it as the day I "got the religious monkey off my back". Getting rid of the god fable is one of the best things you can do.
Sounds like you never tried being an atheist.
You did it the wrong way.

Would you insult, harass, and threaten with physical violence anybody who opposes suicide? If so, then head right over to IIDB. That's how they show their compassion in dying.
The people there should be open to hearing opposing viewpoints or they are not good representatives of atheism.
Would you insult, harass, and threaten with physical violence anybody who opposes suicide?
I don't like the idea of people infringing on my rights. I don't think doing those things on a discussion board is the right way to go about it.

You don' realize how negative and depressing christianity really is until you get out of it and replace it with something positive.
Sounds like you're talking about denominational religion.
i left my family denomination in 1971.
I met Jesus in the evening of June 27, 1977.
I did the drugs, alcohol, rock and roll partying, etc.., before I met Jesus. Empty, futile, a wasted life. There was a reason we called it getting wasted.

It is not just because "jesus died for our sins", the whole thing is about death, suffering, murder, heaven, hell. Who wants to spend a life like that? It is so morose. I now choose to ignore that and be happy everyday.
Apparently not you.
Moreover, I'd say that you got the raw end of the stick.
Humans will live forever.
you choose where that is for you.
This life is incredibly brief. Eternity last forever.
It's like choosing how and where you want to live your life based entirely on one second.

What I've given up is nothing compared to what I gain.
That one second in comparison to a 100 years.... I did my one second life. It was quite empty and unsatisfying.
Kind of like Dom Terreto and the Fast and Furious crew. He lived his life 10 seconds at a time.
i like living mine in a consistent run, from start to end.

Right. I have seen too many people die very long deaths full of suffering only to finally come to the end that was inevitably coming anyway. I demand the legal right to avoid that if I choose AND have a doctor help me without having to worry about being arrested.
Smoking tobacco.... alcoholism, etc.... all forms self-murder.
my mom smoked for 41 years and was dead in 2 months following her diagnosis.
she never got to see her grandchildren when they grew up and had their own families.
she took revenge on everyone who loved her, because she couldn't get what she wanted as a younger woman.

I also fully support your right to choose to have them inject you full of medicines, stick tubes in every orafice, and keep any slight remnant of life going for decades if that is what you want. It is your life, I don't get to tell you how to live it, nor end it.
My choice is to live for Jesus.

There are different types of suicide. If the need ever came I DON'T want to jump off a building and possibly hurt someone, nor shoot myself in the head and lay on the ground bleeding out for a minute. I'd like to lie in my own bed, on a nice day, the window open, maybe a favorite song playing, and calmly and peacefully swallow a little cup of Pentobarbital and in a minute close my eyes and that's it. A life well lived and a life well ended.
Suicide is self-murder, regardless of the method used. Socrates drank hemlock.

So, while you may indeed be satisfied with your life and how you end it, you won't like what comes after.
Actually I refer to it as the day I "got the religious monkey off my back". Getting rid of the god fable is one of the best things you can do.
I'm sure you do.
If you prefer selfishness over knowing YHVH, then this makes perfect sense.

Sounds like you never tried being an atheist.
Sounds like you think you know me. You have no idea what my younger years were like.
You did it the wrong way.
Stupidity is the same, regardless.
I grew weary of mine.

No, You are generalising from a thread discussing the right to die.

I have had a number of discussions with atheists on a number of sites. This is becoming standard fare. It is the last days (see 2 Tim 3:1-5). And yes it certainly sounds like a cult. I have been banned for life 2x, once on each of 2 sites. One was after 2 weeks, the other after a few days.

Back