An exegetical response to Leighton Flowers; Ephesians 1 and Provisionalism -- James White.

Reformedguy

I think I did.

The way he has created it is that he has granted man complete libertarian freedom to choose for himself how he will go, without any coercion, predestination, or predetermination on his side.

Agreed. Foreknown, but not predestined or predetermined. Two different things.

Wrong, as always.

Utterly false, heretical, unbiblical, and wrong.
Unsupported premise number one. "He has granted man complete libertarian freedom"

How does God foreknow?

zerinus

Was that a yes or a no?
Neither. Your question was not a yes or no question.
Unsupported premise number one. "He has granted man complete libertarian freedom"
It is written all over the Bible, from Genesis to Revelation.
How does God foreknow?
How did God create the world in six days? Just because I can't fathom with my finite mind how he did it, does that mean that he therefore didn't, or couldn't have? Your question is based on the faulty premise that just because we can't fathom how God could know the future which is not predetermined, it therefore follows that it is impossible for him to do so, which is a very limited and short-sighted way of looking at things. You are saying that unless I can fathom how God does something, it therefore follows that he didn't, or couldn't have. Do you see what the problem with that is?

Reformedguy

Neither. Your question was not a yes or no question.

It is written all over the Bible, from Genesis to Revelation.

How did God create the world in six days? Just because I can't fathom with my finite mind how he did it, does that mean that he therefore didn't, or couldn't have? Your question is based on the faulty premise that just because we can't fathom how God could know the future which is not predetermined, it therefore follows that it is impossible for him to do so, which is a very limited and short-sighted way of looking at things. You are saying that unless I can fathom how God does something, it therefore follows that he didn't, or couldn't have. Do you see what the problem with that is?
I will decide what my question is. I have decided it is a simple yes or no question.

Really? Yet you cannot show me. LOL

The important thing He knows the future exaustively. How does He know? Does God learn? The problem is now you cannot answer so you will claim there is no way to know. Ignorance is now your best friend

zerinus

I will decide what my question is. I have decided it is a simple yes or no question.
EDIT
Really? Yet you cannot show me. LOL
Another EDIT comment.
The important thing He knows the future exaustively. How does He know?
I don’t know how. But just because I don't know how, it doesn’t mean that he can’t.
Does God learn?
No, he knows.
The problem is now you cannot answer so you will claim there is no way to know.
Wrong. Do you know how God created the world in six days? I bet you don’t. Does that mean that he therefore didn’t or couldn’t have, just because we don’t know how? The same applies to his foreknowledge. I don’t know how God is able to know the future which is not predetermined. But just because I don’t know how, it doesn’t logically follow that he therefore didn’t or couldn’t have. You are saying that God can’t do anything that you cannot comprehend. Sorry, I think that God infinitely smarter than you are, and can do millions of things that you or I can’t comprehend.
Ignorance is now your best friend
EDIT. So you think you are as smart as God is? Sorry, I don’t think so. How did God know that if David had stayed in the city of Keilah, the people of the city would have betrayed him (1 Samuel 23)? Was it because he had predestined it that way? If so, why didn’t it happen? How was David able to escape God’s predestination to be captured if he had stayed in Keilah? Try to say something that makes sense for a change.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reformedguy

Which can only mean that you have a very irrational and illogical mind.

Another irrational comment.

I don’t know how. But just because I don't know how, it doesn’t mean that he can’t.

No, he knows.

Wrong. Do you know how God created the world in six days? I bet you don’t. Does that mean that he therefore didn’t or couldn’t have, just because we don’t know how? The same applies to his foreknowledge. I don’t know how God is able to know the future which is not predetermined. But just because I don’t know how, it doesn’t logically follow that he therefore didn’t or couldn’t have. You are saying that God can’t do anything that you cannot comprehend. Sorry, I think that God infinitely smarter than you are, and can do millions of things that you or I can’t comprehend.

And pride is your downfall. So you think you are as smart as God is? Sorry, I don’t think so. How did God know that if David had stayed in the city of Keilah, the people of the city would have betrayed him (1 Samuel 23)? Was it because he had predestined it that way? If so, why didn’t it happen? How was David able to escape God’s predestination to be captured if he had stayed in Keilah? Try to say something that makes sense for a change.
Yes let's, could you show us where the Bible says man posses LFW? If so, you win. I hope you do better than the last 50 times you have been asked this question. Considerably better.

T

TomFL

Yes let's, could you show us where the Bible says man posses LFW? If so, you win. I hope you do better than the last 50 times you have been asked this question. Considerably better.
LFW is just free will

"free will"

ARV 2005) but without thy mind I would do nothing, that thy goodness should not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(ASV-2014) but without thy mind I would do nothing; that thy goodness should not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(Anderson) but, without your consent, I was not willing to do any thing, that your good deed might not be as a matter of necessity, but one of free-will.
(ASV) but without thy mind I would do nothing; that thy goodness should not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(FAA) but I did not want to do anything without your opinion, so that your good deed would not be as it were under compulsion, but of free will.
(GDBY_NT) but without your consent I did not wish to do anything; in order that your good might not be by constraint, but by the free will:
(GW) Yet, I didn't want to do anything without your consent. I want you to do this favor for me out of your own free will without feeling forced to do it.
(csb) But I didn't want to do anything without your consent, so that your good deed might not be out of obligation, but of your own free will.
(LEB) But apart from your consent, I wanted to do nothing, in order that your good deed might be not as according to necessity, but according to your own free will.
(MRC) but without your consent I did not want to do anything, that your goodness might not be by necessity, but of your own free will.
(MNT) But without your consent I was unwilling to do anything, so that your kindness to me might be of your own free will, and not of compulsion.
(NTVR) but without thy mind I would do nothing; that thy goodness should not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(NWT) But without your consent I do not want to do anything, so that your good act may be, not as under compulsion, but of your own free will.
(Revised Standard ) but I preferred to do nothing without your consent in order that your goodness might not be by compulsion but of your own free will.
(RNT) but without your consent I am unwilling to do anything, so that your goodness may not be of necessity but of free will.
(RSV-CE) but I preferred to do nothing without your consent in order that your goodness might not be by compulsion but of your own free will.
(TLV) But I didn’t want to do anything without your consent, so that your goodness wouldn’t be by force but by free will.
(WEB) But I was willing to do nothing without your consent, that your goodness would not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(WEB (R)) But I was willing to do nothing without your consent, that your goodness would not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(Wuest's) Georgia;;14-16 But I came to a decision in my heart to do nothing without your consent, in order that your goodness might not be as it were by compulsion but of your own free will. For perhaps on this account he was parted for a brief time in order that you might be possessing him fully and forever, no longer in the capacity of a slave, but above a slave, a brother , a beloved one, beloved most of all by me, how much more than that by you, both in his human relationship and in the Lord.
(NASB77) 14 but without your consent I did not want to do anything, that your goodness should not be as it were by compulsion, but of your own free will.
(NASB95) 14 but without your consent I did not want to do anything, so that your goodness would not be, in effect, by compulsion but of your own free will.
(TEV) 14 However, I do not want to force you to help me; rather, I would like for you to do it of your own free will. So I will not do anything unless you agree.
(ERV) 14 but without thy mind I would do nothing; that thy goodness should not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(NHEB) 14 But I was willing to do nothing without your consent, that your goodness would not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(TCE) 14 but without your consent I did not want to do anything, so that your goodness would not be, in effect, by compulsion but of your own free will.
and you can add both the NEB and the REB

CT 14 but I would not do any thing without thy consent, that the benefit derived from thee might not be as it were forced, but of free will.

NENT 14
but without thy: mind I wished to do nothing; that thy: goodness be not as of necessity, but of free will.

SLT 14 But without thy judgment I would do nothing; that good might not be as according to necessity, but according to free will.

(NEB)
14 But I would rather do nothing without your consent, so that your kindness may be a matter not of compulsion, but of your own free will.

(REB) 14 But I would rather do nothing without your consent, so that your kindness may be a matter not of compulsion, but of your own free will.

T

TomFL

If you're serious—which I doubt since you seem to just like to spam emotional non-logical objections over and over—there are some answers in the following posts.

Seen here also

ARV 2005) but without thy mind I would do nothing, that thy goodness should not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(ASV-2014) but without thy mind I would do nothing; that thy goodness should not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(Anderson) but, without your consent, I was not willing to do any thing, that your good deed might not be as a matter of necessity, but one of free-will.
(ASV) but without thy mind I would do nothing; that thy goodness should not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(FAA) but I did not want to do anything without your opinion, so that your good deed would not be as it were under compulsion, but of free will.
(GDBY_NT) but without your consent I did not wish to do anything; in order that your good might not be by constraint, but by the free will:
(GW) Yet, I didn't want to do anything without your consent. I want you to do this favor for me out of your own free will without feeling forced to do it.
(csb) But I didn't want to do anything without your consent, so that your good deed might not be out of obligation, but of your own free will.
(LEB) But apart from your consent, I wanted to do nothing, in order that your good deed might be not as according to necessity, but according to your own free will.
(MRC) but without your consent I did not want to do anything, that your goodness might not be by necessity, but of your own free will.
(MNT) But without your consent I was unwilling to do anything, so that your kindness to me might be of your own free will, and not of compulsion.
(NTVR) but without thy mind I would do nothing; that thy goodness should not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(NWT) But without your consent I do not want to do anything, so that your good act may be, not as under compulsion, but of your own free will.
(Revised Standard ) but I preferred to do nothing without your consent in order that your goodness might not be by compulsion but of your own free will.
(RNT) but without your consent I am unwilling to do anything, so that your goodness may not be of necessity but of free will.
(RSV-CE) but I preferred to do nothing without your consent in order that your goodness might not be by compulsion but of your own free will.
(TLV) But I didn’t want to do anything without your consent, so that your goodness wouldn’t be by force but by free will.
(WEB) But I was willing to do nothing without your consent, that your goodness would not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(WEB (R)) But I was willing to do nothing without your consent, that your goodness would not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(Wuest's) Georgia;;14-16 But I came to a decision in my heart to do nothing without your consent, in order that your goodness might not be as it were by compulsion but of your own free will. For perhaps on this account he was parted for a brief time in order that you might be possessing him fully and forever, no longer in the capacity of a slave, but above a slave, a brother , a beloved one, beloved most of all by me, how much more than that by you, both in his human relationship and in the Lord.
(NASB77) 14 but without your consent I did not want to do anything, that your goodness should not be as it were by compulsion, but of your own free will.
(NASB95) 14 but without your consent I did not want to do anything, so that your goodness would not be, in effect, by compulsion but of your own free will.
(TEV) 14 However, I do not want to force you to help me; rather, I would like for you to do it of your own free will. So I will not do anything unless you agree.
(ERV) 14 but without thy mind I would do nothing; that thy goodness should not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(NHEB) 14 But I was willing to do nothing without your consent, that your goodness would not be as of necessity, but of free will.
(TCE) 14 but without your consent I did not want to do anything, so that your goodness would not be, in effect, by compulsion but of your own free will.

CT 14 but I would not do any thing without thy consent, that the benefit derived from thee might not be as it were forced, but of free will.

NENT 14
but without thy: mind I wished to do nothing; that thy: goodness be not as of necessity, but of free will.

SLT 14 But without thy judgment I would do nothing; that good might not be as according to necessity, but according to free will.

(NEB)
14 But I would rather do nothing without your consent, so that your kindness may be a matter not of compulsion, but of your own free will.

(REB) 14 But I would rather do nothing without your consent, so that your kindness may be a matter not of compulsion, but of your own free will.

Reformedguy

LFW is just free will

"free will"

NENT 14

(NEB)

Sorry, that says nothing about man having a "free will" as you define it. In context it is dealing with a specific situation and not the nature of man.. poor effort again..

I also believe man's will is free yet bound to human nature. It's free yet subject to the sovereignty and providence of God.

T

TomFL

Sorry, that says nothing about man having a "free will" as you define it. In context it is dealing with a specific situation and not the nature of man.. poor effort again..

I also believe man's will is free yet bound to human nature. It's free yet subject to the sovereignty and providence of God.
have you no ability to read or is denial the only way you are able to respond

NENT 14

(NEB)

Reformedguy

have you no ability to read or is denial the only way you are able to respond

NENT 14 but without thy: mind I wished to do nothing; that thy: goodness be not as of necessity, but of free will.

(NEB) 14 But I would rather do nothing without your consent, so that your kindness may be a matter not of compulsion, but of your own free will.

Sorry, in context it has nothing to do with man and his will. It's dealing with a specific situation and leaving the choice to the individual. Next?

zerinus

Yes let's, could you show us where the Bible says man posses LFW?
Hundreds, if not thousands. It is written all over the Bible from Genesis to Revelation. Here is one example among many:

Deuteronomy 30:

19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

A non-LFW interpretation of this verse would make God a hypocrite and a liar, which he is not.
If so, you win.
I won a long time ago. You just don’t know it.
I hope you do better than the last 50 times you have been asked this question. Considerably better.
LOL! Say that to yourself.

Reformedguy

Hundreds, if not thousands. It is written all over the Bible from Genesis to Revelation. Here is one example among many:

Deuteronomy 30:

19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:

A non-LFW interpretation of this verse would make God a hypocrite and a liar, which he is not.

I won a long time ago. You just don’t know it.

LOL! Say that to yourself.
Choose life equates to LFW? LOL Sound reasoning you have there.

Of course you did. Now how about a verse in context that says your endowed with LFW. Show us something that actually deals with the will of man. Then your on to something. Until then you lose. As usual

zerinus

Choose life equates to LFW?
The word "choose" does. What you choose is not the issue, but the ability to make a choice.
LOL Sound reasoning you have there.
Absolutely, to which you have no answer.
Of course you did. Now how about a verse in context that says your endowed with LFW.
Answer the same. Talking nonsense, wasting time.
Show us something that actually deals with the will of man.
Answer still the same. That is what the wore "choose" means.
Then your on to something. Until then you lose. As usual
It is about time you admitted that you lost, and have no answers to give.

Reformedguy

The word "choose" does. What you choose is not the issue, but the ability to make a choice.

Absolutely, to which you have no answer.

Answer the same. Talking nonsense, wasting time.

Answer still the same. That is what the wore "choose" means.

It is about time you admitted that you lost, and have no answers to give.
The word "choose" does? Who says?

The word "choose" implies ability? Who says?

Translation, I have nothing in context dealing with my assertion that man is endowed with LFW.

Reformedguy

The commandment to “choose” implies the ability. The alternative would make God a hypocrite and a liar, which he is not.

Translation: you have no valid response to give.
No it does not. You have not shown that to be so. Your presuming.

Show us a text in CONTEXT dealing with the will of man and our alleged LFW. Will it be much longer??