An important distinction that I believe cannot be overemphasized

Sorry, buddy. It's my metaphor. Sin is indeed a bear. If you think it has no power I can't convince you. Go visit a prison.
That's the power of the legal system not sin. If you can't give an explanation of Sin's power, convincing or not, then your OP is pointless. It's just Stigtheology.

I'm talking about and to you.

Whatever eve's beliefs are are hers, and as it's written, each and every single one of us will have to stand before God and give an account to them.

It's written throughout the bible that false teachers will suffer extreme consequences for choosing lies over the truth.

You however have a greater problem.

You don't actually know.

YHVH says that he will give you a heart to know him. Not just be aware of his existence. But actually engage in a relationship with God.

This isn't some religious construct.

This is exactly what the bible says it is.

You can indeed continue to argue, or... you can come to actually meet him.

Do what others among us have been doing for millennia.

“God, I know surely that You do not exist. But if perchance You exist, which I contest, it is not my duty to believe in You; it is Your duty to reveal Yourself to me.”
My point about God's seeming lack of omniscience was in response to Eve's post. So if you're not addressing that context then your post is somewhat off point.
I have attempted to meet God. To no avail.
Your quote sums up my position precisely.

My point about God's seeming lack of omniscience was in response to Eve's post. So if you're not addressing that context then your post is somewhat off point.
I have attempted to meet God. To no avail.
Your quote sums up my position precisely.
Well, Jesus was quite clear about this.

He will not turn away anyone who comes to him.

Joh 6:37 WEB All those whom the Father gives me will come to me. He who comes to me I will in no way throw out.

So, the question becomes,
Are you coming to Jesus?

He's not asking you to get religious.

He's saying come to him.

Mat 11:28-30 WEB 28 “Come to me, all you who labor and are heavily burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart; and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

Reactions: BMS
Nonsense. Even if there were no legal system the power of sin in a rapist would operate in him to create a rape.

"An explanation of sin's power?" How about this: Sin empowers people to sin. Sheesh! Do you live in Shangri-La?
So the power of Sin is the urge in us to commit it? Why didn't you say that in the first place. We cannot read your mind.
So is the power of a bear the urge to be a bear or it's ability to tear your face off?
How does Christ take away that power? Christians still sin.

Well, Jesus was quite clear about this.

He will not turn away anyone who comes to him.

Joh 6:37 WEB All those whom the Father gives me will come to me. He who comes to me I will in no way throw out.

So, the question becomes,
Are you coming to Jesus?

He's not asking you to get religious.

He's saying come to him.

Mat 11:28-30 WEB 28 “Come to me, all you who labor and are heavily burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart; and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
You keep repeating this.
You can't accept that, regardless of what you book says, not everyone 'finds' Jesus.

You keep repeating this.
You can't accept that, regardless of what you book says, not everyone 'finds' Jesus.
According to Jesus, everyone who comes to him he will receive.

According to Jesus in John 14:23, those who keep his teachings, both Jesus and his Father will come and make their home with them.

So the power of Sin is the urge in us to commit it? Why didn't you say that in the first place. We cannot read your mind.

I guess I just assumed you would have enough smarts to realize the obvious. Doesn't seem like it would take a genius to recognize from personal experience that the power of doing wrong is the urge to do it. Read your own damn mind to figure that out.

So is the power of a bear the urge to be a bear or it's ability to tear your face off?

If you think the bear is analogous to the sinner, someone needs to instruct you on analogies.

How does Christ take away that power?

He doesn't. He reduces the hell out of it, pun intended.

Christians still sin.

Correct. And bathers still get diirty.

I guess I just assumed you would have enough smarts to realize the obvious. Doesn't seem like it would take a genius to recognize from personal experience that the power of doing wrong is the urge to do it. Read your own damn mind to figure that out.
When it comes to your thought processes nothing is obvious. The power of doing wrong is getting what you want regardless of others.
The power of doing wrong is not merely to do wrong.

If you think the bear is analogous to the sinner, someone needs to instruct you on analogies.
No the bear is analogous to sin.
I think we all need a little instruction when it comes to your analogies.

He doesn't. He reduces the hell out of it, pun intended.
Correct. And bathers still get diirty.
So he doesn't save us he just lessens the effect. Wow.

According to Jesus, everyone who comes to him he will receive.

According to Jesus in John 14:23, those who keep his teachings, both Jesus and his Father will come and make their home with them.
So I guess Jesus is wrong then.

Depends what you mean by coming to Him. Plenty of people came to Jesus, some for who He was and some with their own ideas.
Why can't the power of the lord, when beseeched for any reason, cut through the inevitable human error of our fallen nature to grow a clear vision of him? I mean that's why Jesus is here right? He knows this going in... not only that he is up against that, but that is the reason he was incarnated to begin with. Is he weak? Ineffective? Ambivalent?

Of course you are going to blame it on us. It's the built in escape hatch for the ineffectiveness of the a gospel you claim has power. Power to do what if not overcome that - the worldliness in us?

When it comes to your thought processes nothing is obvious.

Wrong. Many things are obvious. Otherwise the word "obvious" would obviously not exist.

The power of doing wrong is getting what you want regardless of others.

Wrong. That's the purpose, not the power. That should be OBVIOUS.

No the bear is analogous to sin.

Exactly. You have corrected your error now.

So he doesn't save us he just lessens the effect.

IMMENSELY!!

Wow indeed. It's called Amazing Grace.

It does. It has.
It has also failed to do so making it no more effective than human whim. It's supposed to be more special, more powerful, than that - but it isn't. There is nothing special or supernatural in it as proven by its random effectiveness and narrow cultural focus.

But that must be our fault - right? The power of fallen man against the power of God - even when He is sought for whatever reason?

Last edited:
It's supposed to be more special, more powerful, than that - but it isn't.

And yet it is. Both special AND powerful.

There is nothing special or supernatural in it as proven by its random effectiveness and narrow cultural focus.

WRONG. It is both special AND supernatural and as broad as the universe.

But that must be our fault - right?

Correct. It IS your fault.

The power of fallen man against the power of God

Ir's no match. It's like the power Slippery Rock against the power of Alabama.

Liberator?
Really??

Are you in the habit of lavishing praise upon the individual who puts out your housefire - knowing that it was the same individual who set the fire?

God consciously and purposefully consigned us to be sinners, stiggy
Why, then, are you inclined to praise Him for offering a way out?
No he didn't. Your either ignorant or you just have bad theology

And yet it is. Both special AND powerful.

WRONG. It is both special AND supernatural and as broad as the universe.

Correct. It IS your fault.

Ir's no match. It's like the power Slippery Rock against the power of Alabama.
Evidence, as just shared, proves otherwise.

What evidence?
The evidence that the power of the lord, when beseeched for any reason, does not cut through the inevitable human error of our fallen nature to grow a clear vision of him. This makes the gospel ineffective and weak - and confusing even to devout Christians as witnessed in the theology section of these forums. It's a mess in there. Also the proof that even though it is claimed that the majesty and truth of the living God is witnessed by all men throughout His creation, your religion remains only parochial and culturally driven.

Back