Angels

RayneBeau

How does a nameless group of individuals whom the Bible calls "angels" benefit Roman Catholics individually or the Roman Catholic Church as a whole ?

Maxtar

How does a nameless group of individuals whom the Bible calls "angels" benefit Roman Catholics individually or the Roman Catholic Church as a whole ?
I pay them little heed. Now, how do you see them and are they of any benefit to you?

Maxtar

I view them as an extensive support system God has given us - one of the wonderful benefits of being a Christian.

That's interesting. I always thought it was just a Catholic thing, especially the "Guardian Angels" we are all supposed to have. Can't wait to hear what others here have to say about them.

As to this "extensive support system", just what does that mean - how do they go about supporting us do you think?

mica

That's interesting. I always thought it was just a Catholic thing, especially the "Guardian Angels" we are all supposed to have. Can't wait to hear what others here have to say about them.

As to this "extensive support system", just what does that mean - how do they go about supporting us do you think?
who do you mean by 'us' ?

RayneBeau

The Holy Spirit of God guides the believer in Christ internally, while the angels of God guide the believer externally, as all being a part of supporting the believer. What does the RCC teach about them and the support they give?

Maxtar

What does the RCC teach about them and the support they give?
Well, they teach that each of us has a "Guardian Angel". As stated in the Baltimore Catechism, “Angels are pure spirits without a body, created to adore and enjoy God in Heaven.” They were created to praise God, manifesting a state of perpetual adoration of the Most Holy Trinity. They are the attendants of God, “mighty in strength,” who “execute His word, hearkening to the voice of His orders” (Ps. 102:20).

Supposedly they act as messengers and are sent to communicate with humans what God’s Will is in a given situation. The Church teaches what is said in the Apoc. “And there was a great battle in Heaven, Michael and his angels fought with the dragon, and the dragon fought and his angels: And they prevailed not, neither was their place found any more in Heaven. And that great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, who seduceth the whole world; and he was cast unto the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.” (Apoc. 12:7-9)

RayneBeau

?????? Please elaborate more fully?
I'll give an example using Phillip the evangelist in the book of Acts who was preaching to a large crowd.
An angel of the Lord spoke to Phillip and told him to 'go south to the road that descends from Jerusalem to Gaza', and he went, and there was a distinguished Ethiopian eunuch there who was in charge of the Ethiopian queen's treasures. He had come there to worship. Phillip talked to him and led him to Christ Jesus. (8:26-39). The angel guided Phillip from one ministry to another.

RayneBeau

Well, they teach that each of us has a "Guardian Angel". As stated in the Baltimore Catechism, “Angels are pure spirits without a body, created to adore and enjoy God in Heaven.” They were created to praise God, manifesting a state of perpetual adoration of the Most Holy Trinity. They are the attendants of God, “mighty in strength,” who “execute His word, hearkening to the voice of His orders” (Ps. 102:20).

Supposedly they act as messengers and are sent to communicate with humans what God’s Will is in a given situation. The Church teaches what is said in the Apoc. “And there was a great battle in Heaven, Michael and his angels fought with the dragon, and the dragon fought and his angels: And they prevailed not, neither was their place found any more in Heaven. And that great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, who seduceth the whole world; and he was cast unto the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.” (Apoc. 12:7-9)
Hebrews 13:2 says that "some have entertained angels without knowing it." Do you think that may have ever happened to you or someone you know?

RayneBeau

Yes, I remember being taught as a child in the RCC that each person has a "Guardian Angel" Do you share the RCC belief that because angels are immortal and as pure spirits have power over the material world?

Buzzard

Hebrews 13:2 says that "some have entertained angels without knowing it." Do you think that may have ever happened to you or someone you know?
Isaiah 30:20
And though the Lord give you the bread of adversity,
and the water of affliction,
yet shall not thy teachers be removed into a corner any more,
but thine eyes shall see thy teachers
:

21 And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying,
This is the way, walk ye in it,
when ye turn to the right hand,
and when ye turn to the left.

Are you listening ???????
----------or-------
as I have posted before

Ex. Ch 32
And Aaron said unto them,
😨

--Gimme all Dem Dar Egyptian Earrings

Break off the golden earrings,

Strip yourselves of al that Egyptian Jewels

which are in the ears of your wives,
of your sons, and of your daughters,
and bring them unto me.

RayneBeau;
as long as we
Wear the Earrings
placed on our Ears
by those that speak for the Gods of Egypt
all we have Ears to hear is
the Voice of those that speak for the Egyptian Gods

Maxtar

Yes, I remember being taught as a child in the RCC that each person has a "Guardian Angel" Do you share the RCC belief that because angels are immortal and as pure spirits have power over the material world?
I am troubled when a child is either killed or sexually assaulted. Where was their Guardian Angel? That leaves me somewhat skeptical on the power Angels might have in the material world.

Maxtar

Can't really think of one time. Any disaster I have escaped in my life I see God's providential intervention, not some Angels. But hey, what do I know, maybe it was an Angel as God is always very busy to am sure and perhaps He does indeed have His Angels working here. All this stuff is just another mystery as we walk this earth.

RayneBeau

I am troubled when a child is either killed or sexually assaulted. Where was their Guardian Angel? That leaves me somewhat skeptical on the power Angels might have in the material world.
Yes, that is troubling. But, since it is an RCC teaching that angels have power in the material world though, you might want to ask a priest that question.

Last edited:

RayneBeau

Max, you said;
"Supposedly they act as messengers and are sent to communicate with humans what God’s Will is in a given situation. The Church teaches what is said in the Apoc. “And there was a great battle in Heaven, Michael and his angels fought with the dragon, and the dragon fought and his angels: And they prevailed not, neither was their place found any more in Heaven. And that great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, who seduceth the whole world; and he was cast unto the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.” (Apoc. 12:7-9)"
Do you know what the RCC teaching is on how and why this great battle took place in Heaven with Michael and the angels?

JoeT

I'm with Padre Pio on this one. I can't tell you the number of times my Guardian Angel has kept me out of trouble.
“O delightful intimacy, O blessed companionship! Oh, if only all men knew how to understand and appreciate this very great gift that God, in the excess of His love for men, has assigned to us this celestial spirit! Recall frequently his presence: you ought to fix your mind’s eye upon him. Thank him, pray to him. He is so finely mannered, so discreet: respect him. Have continual fear lest you offend the purity of his gaze.​
Invoke frequently this (your) Guardian Angel, this benefactor angel. Repeat often the beautiful prayer: “Angel of God, my Guardian dear, to whom the heavenly Father’s bounty entrusts me here; enlighten me, guard me, guide me now and forever.” How great, my dear Raffaelina, will be the consolation, when, at the hour of death, your soul will see this angel, who is so good, who has accompanied you throughout your life, who was so ample in his maternal care! Oh that this sweet thought may make you, may render you continually more fond of the Cross of Jesus! This is namely what your good angel desires! ? May the desire to see this inseparable companion of your entire life enkindle in you that charity which moves you to desire soon to leave the body.​
Oh, what a holy and salutary thought it is to see this our good angel! It is this aspiration, namely, that should make us escape ahead of time from this dark prison in which we are detained. O Raffaelina, where are my thoughts flying to now? How many times, alas, have I made this good angel weep! How many times have I lived without the least fear of offending the purity of his regard! Oh, he is so finely mannered, so discreet. My God, how many times did I respond to the ample, more than maternal care of this good angel without any sign of respect, affection or acknowledgment! It is this thought that presently rather fills me with confusion: alas — hear this and be horrified — such is my blindness that I feel no remorse at this. And what is worse still, I treat this dear little angel, I do not say as a friend, but as a member of my family. And to tell the truth, this dear angel is not the least offended at being treated like this by me. How precious he is, how good!” (Padre Pio To Raffaelina Cerase 1914-1915, Letter 64)​
JoeT​