Anomalous relative pronoun in Rom 9:5

I'm unsure why you're telling me this, I'm afraid. But the bolded text can only be true if it permits rather abstract senses of 'birth or procreation'.
I was responding to your question. If you'd prefer me not to respond so be it. I'm quite sure you're just as capable as me in respect of being able to research it. My only views on this subject are empirical: I see the Koine Greek of the bible as habitually using monogenes in relation to offspring, and especially those naturally born of men. In a very few places in the LXX does it infer anything else, possibly "my life" or "my soul."

I am quite willing to infer that if a context demands "one of a kind" then that is what that context demands; but such a contextual slant seems to involve an extended meaning to monogenes , rather than the default meaning.

What I see as utter futility is to insist on a meaning for monogenes that is context-independent, and try to develop a theology this way. Thus I see it as having ZERO connatations for either Trinitarianism or Unitarianism for it can only mean whatever the context demands. In respect of Jesus, the connotation is "only natural born son of God."

See any of the following links:

γένος
  1. offspring, descendant
  2. family, clan
  3. nation, race
  4. gender
    1. (grammar) grammatical gender
    2. sex
  5. any type or class

Suffix​

-γενής (-genḗs) m or f (neuter -γενές); third declension

Etymology​

From γένος (génos) +‎ -ης (-ēs).

1. (forming adjectives) born in a certain place or condition ‎ἔνδον (éndon) + ‎-γενής (-genḗs) → ‎ἐνδογενής (endogenḗs) ‎οἶκος (oîkos) + ‎-γενής (-genḗs) → ‎οἰκογενής (oikogenḗs)
  2. (forming adjectives) of a kind ‎ἕτερος (héteros) + ‎-γενής (-genḗs) → ‎ἑτερογενής (heterogenḗs) ‎ὁμός (homós) + ‎-γενής (-genḗs) → ‎ὁμογενής (homogenḗs) ‎μόνος (mónos) + ‎-γενής (-genḗs) → ‎μονογενής (monogenḗs)

Also see:

Last edited:
For those who want to research this further, I strongly suggest as a starting point the superb article by Michael Marlowe that reviews the scholarship :

The Only Begotten Son - o monogenhV uios
Michael Marlowe
... Dahms concludes, "the external evidence, especially from Philo, Justin, and Tertullian, and the internal evidence from the context of its occurrences, makes clear that 'only begotten' is the most accurate translation after all." ...
http://www.bible-researcher.com/only-begotten.html

A very solid article with scholarship references and analysis.
This includes separate sub-articles, only the Berkhof one is essentially doctrinal:

Büchsel on monogenhV - (1967)

John R. Wilson, "Parmenides, B 8. 4," The Classical Quarterly, New Series, Vol. 20, No. 1. (May, 1970), pp. 32-34.

Berkhof on the Eternal Generation of the Son - (1949)
http://www.bible-researcher.com/eternal-generation.html

For those who want to research this further, I strongly suggest as a starting point the superb article by Michael Marlowe that reviews the scholarship :

The Only Begotten Son - o monogenhV uios
Michael Marlowe
... Dahms concludes, "the external evidence, especially from Philo, Justin, and Tertullian, and the internal evidence from the context of its occurrences, makes clear that 'only begotten' is the most accurate translation after all." ...
http://www.bible-researcher.com/only-begotten.html
Doubtless this article is scholarly, but it has some serious issues. First, it gives an accurate account of monogenes in respect of its NT usage:

"The Greek word μονογενής is an adjective compounded of μονος “only” and γενος “species, race, family, offspring, kind.” In usage, with few exceptions it refers to an only son or daughter. When used in reference to a son, it cannot mean “one of a kind,” because the parent is also of the same kind."

But then, as you have pointed out, the article digresses quickly into a specific Trinitarian usage as per the usual culprits, referring to monogenes in John 1:18 “This phrase translates a single Greek word and explicitly points to the eternal generation of the Son in the Trinity.” (Reformation Study Bible (Ligonier Ministries, 2005).

Also quoted is Athanasius in his Defence of the Nicene Definition (ca. 353), points to the word μονογενής in John 1:14 as one Scriptural proof for the teaching.

It has been shown above, and must be believed as true, that the Word is from the Father, and the only Offspring proper to Him and natural. For whence may one conceive the Son to be, who is the Wisdom and the Word, in whom all things came to be, but from God Himself? However, the Scriptures also teach us this.... John in saying, “The Only-begotten Son which is in the bosom of the Father, He hath declared Him,” spoke of what He had learned from the Saviour. Besides, what else does “in the bosom” intimate, but the Son’s genuine generation from the Father? 11

The article maintains:

"The truth is, those who do not acknowledge this meaning of the word μονογενής in the Johannine writings are themselves dogmatically motivated. Their preferred translation—“only”—is an undertranslation which hides from view a Scriptural datum that supports the Christology of the ancient Creed but which happens to be unpopular with modern theologians."

This is bigotted unscholarly nonsense, for there is nothing to relate the above with what was said at the beginning of the article, i.e. that monogenes refers to “species, race, family, offspring, kind," excepting an appeal to the usual hardcore Trinitarian ECFs.

The TRUTH is that the term "son" in the bible refers to a human being, and the term monogenes infers a naturally born human being, and has nothing to do with the Logos being eternally generated by the Father, per Trinitarian dogma, which in reality adopts the "one of a kind" meaning to monogenes in respect of the Logos. Yet monogenes is nowhere used of the Logos: it is only used of Jesus, the man. It the Logos had been eternally generated from Ὁ Θεός then it is the Logos that would have been termed monogenes. The application of monogenes to the Logos is specious.

Trinitarians have, without any scriptural authority, been using monogenes to underpin their gnostic Trinity doctrine, in fact derived from perverting the sciptures; whereas monogenes is only ever used of a natural born human being in the New Testament.

Last edited:
I was responding to your question. If you'd prefer me not to respond so be it.
I don't follow: the post you were responding to didn't contain a question.
I am quite willing to infer that if a context demands "one of a kind" then that is what that context demands; but such a contextual slant seems to involve an extended meaning to monogenes , rather than the default meaning.
What is a 'default meaning'?

I don't follow: the post you were responding to didn't contain a question.
It implied a question as to the meaning of "begotten." If you weren't asking for a response, why were you communicating information as to your doubts over the meaning of this word?
What is a 'default meaning'?
The primary meaning. As in the primary meaning of "man" is a male homo sapiens.
A secondary meaning of man is homo sapiens without reference to gender.

Back