Another Elusive politician

Beloved

Independent News
A New York politician who fled the state in 1997 to avoid a jail sentence was found limping along an Ohio road and using a false identity.

William Jones, formerly a Cayuga County town supervisor, was found by a police officer in Waverly, Ohio, and gave him a ride to a hospital to treat his leg. When Mr Jones did not provide identification, the officer became suspicious and discovered his true identity.

Mr Jones, 71, was convicted 23 years ago for illegally selling eight handguns after his permit to do so was suspended by a judge. While he was out of prison on $20,000 bail and awaiting sentencing, he fled New York.

It was not his first time fleeing a prison sentence; in 1996, he was convicted on charges of misconduct while in office and fled while awaiting his sentencing trial. He eventually gave himself up to authorities a month later.
After his first conviction, a Cayuga County judge suspended Mr Jones' pistol permit.
Rather than handing over his weapons, Mr Jones decided to sell them illegally, according to authorities.

After he was caught selling the pistols he was charged with the criminal sale of a firearm, which is a felony punishable by a short stint in prison.
During that bail period Mr Jones fled, this time with more success than his first attempt.
He managed to lay low for more than two decades before the office discovered him on the side of the road.
Mr Jones is currently being held in jail in Butler County, Ohio, and is awaiting extradition to New York.

If I placed bets I might just bet on him escaping again. IMO many politicians have gotten smarter and manipulate the system to stay out of jail. How would they do that? Maybe someone can enlighten me?

Temujin

Independent News
A New York politician who fled the state in 1997 to avoid a jail sentence was found limping along an Ohio road and using a false identity.

William Jones, formerly a Cayuga County town supervisor, was found by a police officer in Waverly, Ohio, and gave him a ride to a hospital to treat his leg. When Mr Jones did not provide identification, the officer became suspicious and discovered his true identity.

Mr Jones, 71, was convicted 23 years ago for illegally selling eight handguns after his permit to do so was suspended by a judge. While he was out of prison on $20,000 bail and awaiting sentencing, he fled New York.

It was not his first time fleeing a prison sentence; in 1996, he was convicted on charges of misconduct while in office and fled while awaiting his sentencing trial. He eventually gave himself up to authorities a month later.
After his first conviction, a Cayuga County judge suspended Mr Jones' pistol permit.
Rather than handing over his weapons, Mr Jones decided to sell them illegally, according to authorities.

After he was caught selling the pistols he was charged with the criminal sale of a firearm, which is a felony punishable by a short stint in prison.
During that bail period Mr Jones fled, this time with more success than his first attempt.
He managed to lay low for more than two decades before the office discovered him on the side of the road.
Mr Jones is currently being held in jail in Butler County, Ohio, and is awaiting extradition to New York.

If I placed bets I might just bet on him escaping again. IMO many politicians have gotten smarter and manipulate the system to stay out of jail. How would they do that? Maybe someone can enlighten me?
Being elected President worked for the last four years.

Whateverman

Independent News

I'm not sure this is an example of someone manipulating the system. Also, he never actually escaped anything; he had the ability to walk around, and simply went into hiding.

Politicians generally don't run from the law like that. If they "manipulate" the system, part of that has to do with them probably having friends / colleagues in high places. Of course, politicians also can trade either money, or financial opportunities with people in a position to help them.

I suspect you're pointing at one of the great truisms in human society: those with money are subject to a different kind of justice.

Beloved

I'm not sure this is an example of someone manipulating the system. Also, he never actually escaped anything; he had the ability to walk around, and simply went into hiding.

Politicians generally don't run from the law like that. If they "manipulate" the system, part of that has to do with them probably having friends / colleagues in high places. Of course, politicians also can trade either money, or financial opportunities with people in a position to help them.

I suspect you're pointing at one of the great truisms in human society: those with money are subject to a different kind of justice.
I probably should have posted avoided again as opposed to escaped.
As to your last sentence , I personally, have known of 2 people that used money to bribe judges. One in the lower court and one in a higher court. In small towns usually people do not keep secrets and even the one person that paid in that higher court seemed to think he had pulled off quite a coup. In case you wonder if I have "shady" friends.......no but one was bragging and the other probably wished their brother had kept his mouth shut.

Thanks for responding.
Being elected President worked for the last four years.
ah but we will never know since it couldn't be proved in 4 years. Now, if he had 4 more years (and without Twitter) it might have been a different story.

Temujin

ah but we will never know since it couldn't be proved in 4 years. Now, if he had 4 more years (and without Twitter) it might have been a different story.
Let's wait and see what happens. I think NY courts will be after him in February.