Any Baptists here?

By that I mean members who attend a Baptist congregation? I am a Christian who pretty much blooms where I am planted. My area has 3 Lutheran churches. 1 Catholic, 1 Methodist, and two Pentecostal churches. The Baptist one suited my family's tastes so I settled there.
Yes, Calvinistic Baptist here!

I dated a Baptist once true story. I was in the Army stationed at Fort Rucker Alabama going to helicopter school 1967 you know where I was headed.

I attended church with her a few times the services were great but after church was over I got button holed each time in front of the church and boy did they ever give me the 3rd°

I thought it was pretty cool they were protecting her trying to make sure no G.I. messed with her. I got the message loud and clear.

I dated a Baptist once true story. I was in the Army stationed at Fort Rucker Alabama going to helicopter school 1967 you know where I was headed.
I attended church with her a few times the services were great but after church was over I got button holed each time in front of the church and boy did they ever give me the 3rd°
I thought it was pretty cool they were protecting her trying to make sure no G.I. messed with her. I got the message loud and clear.
I too am a Baptist I was baptized at Parker Street Baptist church Mineral Wells TX while at Ft Wolters '66. From there I went to Ft Rucker and graduated with my silver wings early August '67. I went to Ft Knox trained with 7/1 Air Cav. Landed in Viet Nam in the middle of Tet. My photo taken in Vinh Long sometime between Jun- Sep 11 '68 in which I was shot down, crashed and injured.
I attended The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary during the blood letting. early 80s. Ordained.

I too am a Baptist I was baptized at Parker Street Baptist church Mineral Wells TX while at Ft Wolters '66. From there I went to Ft Rucker and graduated with my silver wings early August '67. I went to Ft Knox trained with 7/1 Air Cav. Landed in Viet Nam in the middle of Tet. My photo taken in Vinh Long sometime between Jun- Sep 11 '68 in which I was shot down, crashed and injured.
I attended The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary during the blood letting. early 80s. Ordained.

So you have to be an old dude like me. I can see where you got your nick "OldShepherd." I'm glad you made it back to the world, that Tet Offensive was no joke. I went to Fort Rucker for AIT to be a crew chief. I was never a war protester even though I'm from California and was around a lot of that. But looking back now I think what a waste. I don't think one American or Vietnamese for that matter should Have lost their life there. It was absolutely pointless. Same as all the wars we've had since. Makes me think that song "war what is it good for, absolutely Nothing". I can understand our revolutionary war and the Civil War but Vietnam, what a shame. I hope you weren't injured too seriously. You're here now and your heaven bound that's all that matters.

It's good to meet you and I hope to see around the board. We can chat about some theology stuff I'm sure I could learn something from you. One of the main pastors at the church I attend here in Oceanside California is a Baptist from Texas. We have a few friends in Texas that couldn't hang with California longer. We also have two properties in Galveston that we rent out. We were House hunting In Garland Texas during an RV trip we took But we decided to stay here in Oceanside. You Didn't know I was going to tell you my whole life story did you?

What was the blood letting? I'm actually not a Baptist. I found out here on this board that I'm a "reformed Jesus freak".

So you have to be an old dude like me. I can see where you got your nick "OldShepherd." I'm glad you made it back to the world, that Tet Offensive was no joke. I went to Fort Rucker for AIT to be a crew chief. I was never a war protester even though I'm from California and was around a lot of that. But looking back now I think what a waste. I don't think one American or Vietnamese for that matter should Have lost their life there. It was absolutely pointless. Same as all the wars we've had since. Makes me think that song "war what is it good for, absolutely Nothing". I can understand our revolutionary war and the Civil War but Vietnam, what a shame. I hope you weren't injured too seriously. You're here now and your heaven bound that's all that matters.

It's good to meet you and I hope to see around the board. We can chat about some theology stuff I'm sure I could learn something from you. One of the main pastors at the church I attend here in Oceanside California is a Baptist from Texas. We have a few friends in Texas that couldn't hang with California longer. We also have two properties in Galveston that we rent out. We were House hunting In Garland Texas during an RV trip we took But we decided to stay here in Oceanside. You Didn't know I was going to tell you my whole life story did you?

What was the blood letting? I'm actually not a Baptist. I found out here on this board that I'm a "reformed Jesus freak".
The blood letting was in the early 80s in the Southern Baptist Convention the liberals began to strongly push their agenda and many conservatives fell by the wayside. One of my favorite profs at SBTS Dale Moody, who had been at SBTS for more years than I had been alive, and others was forced out.
My first tour in VN I had a conversation with a Vietnamese man, my age at the time, told me he could not remember a time when his country was not at war first the French, the Japanese, the French again and finally the communists.
I worked for DOD for 25 years and I was at Irvine, El Toro MCAS, for about 4 years in the 90s.

The blood letting was in the early 80s in the Southern Baptist Convention the liberals began to strongly push their agenda and many conservatives fell by the wayside. One of my favorite profs at SBTS Dale Moody, who had been at SBTS for more years than I had been alive, and others was forced out.
My first tour in VN I had a conversation with a Vietnamese man, my age at the time, told me he could not remember a time when his country was not at war first the French, the Japanese, the French again and finally the communists.
I worked for DOD for 25 years and I was at Irvine, El Toro MCAS, for about 4 years in the 90s.
I hear what you're saying about liberals and their agenda in the church, The moral decline in our country right now is atrocious. I studied Vietnamese history pretty thoroughly. Also American history. The like about American history the most is the story of the pilgrims getting here and how they set up a society once they got here. One of my pastors actually my favorite pastor did two tours of duty and he's from my hometown Glendale. (More of my life story)He was on missions to Vietnam and Thailand all the time. He really has a heart the people. My brother is in homeland security. He started out as ATF then he was a US Marshall and then he moved in to homeland security. He got the brains and I got the strong back as I've been in the trades all my adult life except for when I was a truck driver.

I'm actually working on what may be my last big project. A big sunroom add-on to her house. I couldn't get anybody to do it so I'm doing myself. My son would've gladly done it as he is a general contractor. But he got Out of California couple years ago moved up to Longview Washington. He asked a couple of his buddies from down here in Oceanside If they would do but they're all swamped at the moment. At any rate I'm enjoying doing it.

I'm pretty close to Camp Pendleton And we have a lot of military guys and gals in our church. We love them. We also have a lot of law enforcement and retired law enforcement. We love them too. One lady we have in our growth group is so cool she's a retired Highway Patrol.
So I'm so glad you had the opportunity and the desire to serve our country. It's an honor meeting you.

I don't know. I do know that I grew up in a VERY legalistic household (Plymouth Brethren, if you follow). You MUST be baptized upon accepting Christ. You MUST wear hats if you are a woman. You MUST...blah, blah, blah.

Then I read the Bible. Nope. Romans changed my life.

Then I listened again to my pastor trying to tell me that Presbyterians were damned (I had no idea what that "P" word meant), because of baptism.

Nope.

So...where do I sit? Probably more Baptist than Presby (or, rather, any pedobaptist). That said, I'm gonna give the biggest hug to my Presbyterian brothers and sisters in Heaven.

I think baptism should be an act of obedience and an affirmation of faith. Two of my kids were baptized Catholic. They are Christ-loving kids now who affirm that baptism as his Sovereignty in their own salvation--from Christ alone. I'm tired of Baptists telling me that they will only be saved if they're baptized again.

Aside from that baptism thing, what's the difference between Baptists and other lovers of Jesus?

Lots of interesting posts here, and not as much conflict as there used to be several years ago. The Baptist forum was pretty much dead. Not much posting, and some of the people who did post only came to the Baptist forum to stir up controversy. One of their favorite things was to ridicule the doctrine of eternal security. I see that one of them is still here, but will remain nameless.

Lots of interesting posts here, and not as much conflict as there used to be several years ago. The Baptist forum was pretty much dead. Not much posting, and some of the people who did post only came to the Baptist forum to stir up controversy. One of their favorite things was to ridicule the doctrine of eternal security. I see that one of them is still here, but will remain nameless.
We baptists are indeed interesting lot!

Back