Anyone Have a Companion Bible? by Bullinger

Cynthia

In the process of researching data concerning Job (from the Book of Job) I was told that Bullinger had notes concerning Job in his Companion Bible, specifically note on page 666 of his Bible. If anyone has this Bible, can you let me know what the note on that page states? Thanks

(the question is proving Job son of Zerah from Bozrah is actually the Job from the Book of Job, and not Job ben Issachar as FN Jones and apparently also Bullinger believe(d). I have FN Jones reference material, but not all of Bullingers'. I am very hesitant to purchase the Companion Bible just to see this note of his. Can anyone help out a sister?)

Cynthia

NEVER MIND! I found a website that has the entire thing online. Printed the one page I needed without having to spend any coin. Yeh!

Cynthia

I am including a chapter on Job in my upcoming book which compares the chronology and textual differences between the Masoretic Text and the Septuagint.

I don’t agree with all of his conclusions but as a whole it is very insightful. One of the best study Bibles I’ve come across.

C

Chuckz

I don't read E.W. Bullinger because he didn't believe in listening to the Holy Spirit to understand the Bible because he trusted his methodologies instead. He believed in salvation plus works and didn't believe in the Trinity.

The Christian Research Institute had a problem with E.W. Bullinger's book on the gospel in the stars. Apparently Christian booksellers just like to sell books that sell.

Its dangerous to accept anybody to teach you unless you have heard their testimony or unless you know for sure if they are a Christian or not.

He was Anglican - Catholic.

All anyone has to do is google the words:

Heresy of E.W. Bullinger

Its hard reading. Take your time. Read carefully.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cynthia

I disagree with him almost on everything. I was wanting to quote him as a source of misinformation on a topic I'm writing about. I found what I needed online.

shnarkle

I don't read E.W. Bullinger because he didn't believe in listening to the Holy Spirit to understand the Bible because he trusted his methodologies instead. He believed in salvation plus works and didn't believe in the Trinity.

The Christian Research Institute had a problem with E.W. Bullinger's book on the gospel in the stars. Apparently Christian booksellers just like to sell books that sell.

Its dangerous to accept anybody to teach you unless you have heard their testimony or unless you know for sure if they are a Christian or not.

He was Anglican - Catholic.

All anyone has to do is google the words:

Heresy of E.W. Bullinger

Its hard reading. Take your time. Read carefully.
I don't agree with everything he says either, but to ignore his expertise in languages, figures of speech etc. is to toss the baby out with the bathwater. His knowledge of these subjects verges on exhaustive.

SteveB

I am including a chapter on Job in my upcoming book which compares the chronology and textual differences between the Masoretic Text and the Septuagint.
Hi.
Just keep in mind that the LXX was written, in its entirety, and completed by 250-255 BCE. It was written by Hebrew scholars of the Greek language.
the Masoretic text wasn't completed until after the Jamnia Council of 95 CE, and they were all Hebrew scholars of Hebrew.
the purpose of the Masoretic text was the result of the LXX being used by the church, which was the result of the church expanding out into the Greek speaking world (which reminds me of what the RCC did, in making the scriptures in Latin, which fell out of use, and was no longer a bible of and for the people).

I.e., it should be noted that until the church had used, (with great success in evangelization), the LXX, the Jewish people in the Mediterranean, had no problem whatsoever with it..... No Jewish synagogue leader ever claimed--- that's not what is written in the scriptures. And the Bereans helped the cause, by getting noted as people who were fair-minded, and searched the scriptures daily to see if what Paul was claiming was true or not. Acts 17:11.

It should be further noted, its deep and full use/acknowledgement as a valid copy of the Hebrew scriptures among Mediterranean Jews is WHY the church began using it in the first place.

So, it seems that this was a case of "sibling rivalry" between Jewish leaders, who sought to prevent Jewish people from becoming Jesus followers, and the church, who were following the Messiah's orders of making disciples of all nations

Cynthia

Hi.
Just keep in mind that the LXX was written, in its entirety, and completed by 250-255 BCE. It was written by Hebrew scholars of the Greek language.
the Masoretic text wasn't completed until after the Jamnia Council of 95 CE, and they were all Hebrew scholars of Hebrew.
the purpose of the Masoretic text was the result of the LXX being used by the church, which was the result of the church expanding out into the Greek speaking world (which reminds me of what the RCC did, in making the scriptures in Latin, which fell out of use, and was no longer a bible of and for the people).

I.e., it should be noted that until the church had used, (with great success in evangelization), the LXX, the Jewish people in the Mediterranean, had no problem whatsoever with it..... No Jewish synagogue leader ever claimed--- that's not what is written in the scriptures. And the Bereans helped the cause, by getting noted as people who were fair-minded, and searched the scriptures daily to see if what Paul was claiming was true or not. Acts 17:11.

It should be further noted, its deep and full use/acknowledgement as a valid copy of the Hebrew scriptures among Mediterranean Jews is WHY the church began using it in the first place.

So, it seems that this was a case of "sibling rivalry" between Jewish leaders, who sought to prevent Jewish people from becoming Jesus followers, and the church, who were following the Messiah's orders of making disciples of all nations
We are of like mind.