Anyone here bilingual or multilingual?

Fred

Not me.

I have bits and pieces of the languages of several countries I lived in.

I would also ask: Is there a language you are learning now or hope to learn in the future?

Not me.

I would also ask: Is there a language you are learning now or hope to learn in the future?
I studied French and Spanish. I know enough for travel or basic conversation.

I am currently studying Russian, but it is much more difficult to learn.

Not me.

My grandfather spent a lot of time in Mexico and learned Spanish fluently. He taught me Spanish. My grandmother taught me French and Latin. I learned a little German in high school (which, ironically, came in handy when we went to Italy, as the region we were in was mostly German speaking and very little Italian).
When I was a kid, we would go camping every weekend and there was this young Scottish couple who always ended up camped near us. I got to be friends with them and had a bit of a crush on the young wife.

She would teach me Gaelic words and phrases and I actually got pretty good at it. But when we moved away, I had no one to practice with, so I forgot it all.

So, fast forward many years and, through circumstances I won't bore you with, my wife and I are now friends with three couples from Scotland.

One day, we were talking about how American TV shows are received in Scotland (They like NCIS, Yellowstone, and Big Bang Theory, in case you were wondering). As the conversation evolved, I mentioned that my wife and I were watching Outlander and that a lot of the Gaelic words and phrases he uses in the show are Gaelic words and phrases I heard growing up in Appalachia ("D'ya ken what I mean?"). I told her about the young Scottish couple (and, yes, I know there's no such thing as "Scottish", but I'm writing this for American readers) and how she taught me a little Gaelic. Turns out, of the six of them, she's the one who speaks Gaelic fluently. Her eyes lit up and said, "Oooooohhhhh! I can teach you!"

So, to make a long story longer, for the past couple of years, I've been learning Gaelic. For someone who doesn't get to practice regularly, I think I'm pretty good and she's pretty satisfied with my proficiency so far.

It's harder than other languages because, with Spanish and French, there are some corresponding English words that can help give context, but Gaelic is completely different.

Not me.

I once heard a comedian say he was a bilingual illiterate. He explained he can't read it or write in at least two or more different languages.😂

Not me.

I'm fluent in French and English, interpreting/translating either way. My wife is Swedish, so I'm conversant in Swedish. I know enough Koine Greek to use the tools effectively when reading the Greek NT. In all, I studied ten languages. So...yeah. a little bit anyway.

Back