Are people made in the "image" and "likeness" of God before or after we become believers?

Tercon

Genesis 1:26-27 says that God made humankind in “Our image” and “according to Our likeness.” Both of these terms mean the same thing, and usually refers the “image of God” (imago dei).

Some understand "image of God" to mean "the qualities that make us human". However, the Bible doesn't say "the qualities that make us human", but in “Our image” and “according to Our likeness.” So, this would imply that it is God's qualities and "likeness" that are being referred to and denoted in verses 26 - 27.

Question: Are we made in His "image" and "according to" the "likeness" of God before or after we become believers and children of God?

And God saith, `Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness, and let them rule over fish of the sea, and over fowl of the heavens, and over cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that is creeping on the earth.' And God prepareth the man in His image; in the image of God He prepared him, a male and a female He prepared them. (Genesis 1:26-27)

Last edited:
God the Son is the Word and image
Adam was created in His likeness, as maybe were the Heavenly sons (angels)

those born of the will of the flesh are made in the likeness of fallen Adam
God the Son incarnated in the likeness of Adam/Mankind

we need to be reborn of the will of God

God the Son is the Word and image
Adam was created in His likeness, as maybe were the Heavenly sons (angels)

those born of the will of the flesh are made in the likeness of fallen Adam
God the Son incarnated in the likeness of Adam/Mankind

we need to be reborn of the will of God

So, were you made in God's "image" and "according to" His "likeness" before or after you became a believer and child of God?

So, were you made in God's "image" and "according to" His "likeness" before or after you became a believer and child of God?
Scripture states before one became a believer.
Gen 9:6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

I'm a physical descendant of Adam
Adam who was created in the likeness of God's Image

when I was "born again", my physical didn't change
I assume a specific personal aspect of God has a physicality, and had a particular one at the time of Adam's creation

Scripture states before one became a believer.
Gen 9:6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

No it doesn't state "before one became a believer". Where does it state "before one became a believer" they are a children of God?
He is referring to and denoting believers in these verses and not unbelievers. How can unbelievers be already created in the "image" and "likeness" of God when they don't even know God. When it is in the believing and knowing of God's truth and reality that makes man in the "image" and "likeness" of God? Are you suggesting the "ye" He is referring to are unbelievers? I don't think so. Abraham is reckoned righteous just because he believed.

And he hath believed in Jehovah, and He reckoneth it to him – righteousness. (Genesis 15:5-7)

`And only your blood for your lives do I require; from the hand of every living thing I require it, and from the hand of man, from the hand of every man's brother I require the life of man; whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man is his blood shed: for in the image of God hath He made man. And ye, be fruitful and multiply, teem in the earth, and multiply in it.' (Gen 9:5-7)

And God saith, `Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness, and let them rule over fish of the sea, and over fowl of the heavens, and over cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that is creeping on the earth.' And God prepareth the man in His image; in the image of God He prepared him, a male and a female He prepared them. (Genesis 1:26-27)

Genesis 1:26-27 says that God made humankind in “Our image” and “according to Our likeness.” Both of these terms mean the same thing, and usually refers the “image of God” (imago dei).

Some understand "image of God" to mean "the qualities that make us human". However, the Bible doesn't say "the qualities that make us human", but in “Our image” and “according to Our likeness.” So, this would imply that it is God's qualities and "likeness" that are being referred to and denoted in verses 26 - 27.

Question: Are we made in His "image" and "according to" the "likeness" of God before or after we become believers and children of God?

We are made in God's likeness when we are quickened out of death and become spiritually mature. As long as we sin and let the carnal mind reign over us we are not in God's likeness but a marred image of God.

God bless you. :)

No it doesn't state "before one became a believer". Where does it state "before one became a believer" they are a children of God?
He is referring to and denoting believers in these verses and not unbelievers. How can unbelievers be already created in the "image" and "likeness" of God when they don't even know God. When it is in the believing and knowing of God's truth and reality that makes man in the "image" and "likeness" of God? Are you suggesting the "ye" He is referring to are unbelievers? I don't think so. Abraham is reckoned righteous just because he believed.

And he hath believed in Jehovah, and He reckoneth it to him – righteousness. (Genesis 15:5-7)

`And only your blood for your lives do I require; from the hand of every living thing I require it, and from the hand of man, from the hand of every man's brother I require the life of man; whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man is his blood shed: for in the image of God hath He made man. And ye, be fruitful and multiply, teem in the earth, and multiply in it.' (Gen 9:5-7)

One must be spiritually complete in God to be be in God's image or likeness a marred image is not sufficient. Coming out of God's consuming fire will purify the new spiritual creation.

Rev 3:18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

Rev 1:13 And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.

Rev 1:14 His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;

Rev 1:15 And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.

Heb 12:23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

Heb 12:24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

Heb 12:25 See that ye refuse not him that speaketh. For if they escaped not who refused him that spake on earth, much more shall not we escape, if we turn away from him that speaketh from heaven:

Heb 12:26 Whose voice then shook the earth: but now he hath promised, saying, Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven.

Heb 12:27 And this word, Yet once more, signifieth the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain.

Heb 12:28 Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear:

Heb 12:29 For our God is a consuming fire.

God bless you.

OK' I'll give you that.

He is referring to and denoting believers in these verses and not unbelievers.
Tu quoque; the context of Gen 9:6 does not make any distinction between believer and non-believers.

One must be spiritually complete in God to be be in God's image or likeness a marred image is not sufficient. Coming out of God's consuming fire will purify the new spiritual creation.

God bless you.

Pay particular attention to Colossians 1:12-16 below, the "who" in this verse is referring to and denoting Christ being "the image of the invisible God, the first-born of all creation". Christ is a believer or child of God and the first-born of all creation".

Giving thanks to the Father who did make us meet for the participation of the inheritance of the saints in the light, who did rescue us out of the authority of the darkness, and did translate [us] into the reign of the Son of His love, in whom we have the redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of the sins, who is the image of the invisible God, first-born of all creation, because in him were the all things created, those in the heavens, and those upon the earth, those visible, and those invisible, whether thrones, whether lordships, whether principalities, whether authorities; all things through him, and for him, have been created, Colossians 1:12-16

We are made in God's likeness when we are quickened out of death and become spiritually mature. As long as we sin and let the carnal mind reign over us we are not in God's likeness but a marred image of God.

That's why believers (children of God) depend on what He has already done for us and not on anything we done or do.

Are you suggesting that sin and carnality God still hold against us? It is Christ's and his perfection that believers are supposed to depend on and not our own. :)

OK' I'll give you that.

Tu quoque; the context of Gen 9:6 does not make any distinction between believer and non-believers.

Really, why would God be referring to and denoting people that don't know Him nor He know them as His child?

Pay particular attention to Colossians 1:12-16 below, the "who" in this verse is referring to and denoting Christ being "the image of the invisible God, the first-born of all creation". Christ is a believer or child of God and the first-born of all creation".

Giving thanks to the Father who did make us meet for the participation of the inheritance of the saints in the light, who did rescue us out of the authority of the darkness, and did translate [us] into the reign of the Son of His love, in whom we have the redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of the sins, who is the image of the invisible God, first-born of all creation, because in him were the all things created, those in the heavens, and those upon the earth, those visible, and those invisible, whether thrones, whether lordships, whether principalities, whether authorities; all things through him, and for him, have been created, Colossians 1:12-16

Are suggesting that Adam was a unbeliever?

Really? So, you're saying that no physical part of your life changed after you were "born again"? I mean it is the inner man that changes most when we become believers, but to suggest nothing of your physical life changes after being "born again" is quite the statement.

But God says He is Spirit rather than physical.
Pay particular attention to Colossians 1:12-16 below, the "who" in this verse is referring to and denoting Christ being "the image of the invisible God, the first-born of all creation". So, are suggesting that Christ wasn't a believer or child of God and not the first-born of all creation"?

God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.” John 4:24

But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look at his appearance or at the height of his stature, because I have rejected him; for God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” 1 Samuel 16:7

Where can I go from Your Spirit?
Or where can I flee from Your presence? Psalm 139:7

Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit. 2 Corinthians 3:17-18

Being then the children of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and thought of man. Acts 17:29

The God who made the world and all things in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands; Acts 17:24

However, the Most High does not dwell in houses made by human hands; as the prophet says: ‘Heaven is My throne,
And earth is the footstool of My feet;
What kind of house will you build for Me?’ says the Lord,
‘Or what place is there for My repose?
‘Was it not My hand which made all these things?’ Acts 7:48-50

which He will bring about at the proper time—He who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who alone possesses immortality and dwells in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see. To Him be honor and eternal dominion! Amen. 1 Timothy 6:15-16

No one has seen God at any time; the only begotten God who is in the bosom of the Father, He has explained Him. John 1:18

Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen. 1 Timothy 1:17
Excellent scriptures which prove that only those who overcomers through the Spirit of Christ are in the spiritual image of the Lord God who is Spirit. Jesus is the first born of creation and there will be many more. How many? All!
1Co 15:43 It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:

1Co 15:44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

1Co 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

1Co 15:46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

1Co 15:47 The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.

Excellent scriptures which prove that only those who overcomers through the Spirit of Christ are in the spiritual image of the Lord God who is Spirit. Jesus is the first born of creation and there will be many more. How many? All!

Those who disbelieve this truth are destined to misinterpret the Bible, as the context of the Bible is turned on its head with that lie. God Bless

That's why believers (children of God) depend on what He has already done for us and not on anything we done or do.

Are you suggesting that sin and carnality God still hold against us? It is Christ's and his perfection that believers are supposed to depend on and not our own. :)
What God has done for us is being spiritually outworked and it is the Christ in us who works in us to overcome the world and when this is completed we will receive immortality and come into the kingdom that is prepared for us and is in us.

1Co 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

1Co 15:23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.

1Co 15:24 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.

1Co 15:25 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet.

1Co 15:26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

1Co 15:27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.

1Co 15:28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.
1Co 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

1Co 15:51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed
1Co 15:52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

1Co 15:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

1Co 15:54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

Are suggesting that Adam was a unbeliever?
no, I think he a believer
Adam was a Melchizedek

Pay particular attention to Colossians 1:12-16 below, the "who" in this verse is referring to and denoting Christ being "the image of the invisible God, the first-born of all creation". So, are you suggesting that Christ wasn't a believer or child of God and not the first-born of all creation"?

who is the image of the invisible God, first-born of all creation, because in him were the all things created,
so God the Son is the Image of the invisible God
and had visible physicality even before He took a huge step down and spent time on Earth in the human body being called "Jesus"

so then in Who's likeness was Adam specifically created?
and was this in any way a physical likeness? or only spiritual?

Adam was a Melchizedek

and had visible physicality even before He took a huge step down and spent time on Earth in the human body being called "Jesus"

Evasion. Did Adam believe in and know God or not?

so to you it's all mental and spiritual

God can't be seen and we live, and yet God has made appearances and those that saw Him survived, no?
Who exactly did they see? God the Father? surely not..
Who specifically do the Heavenly sons (angels) see when they see God? in Whose likeness were they created?

(ps. are you a Oneness/God is only one Person type...just seeking clarification on yr view)

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam was a Melchizedek

It is spiritual image and so it was with Jesus. God bless you. :)

Back