Are Republicans still pursuing the "Southern strategy"?

Ficciones

Was Trump's political career one big example of Lee Atwater's Southern strategy?

You start out in 1954 by saying, “N*gger, n*gger, n*gger.” By 1968 you can’t say “n*gger”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced busing, states’ rights, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “N*gger, n*gger.”

And is it finally failing?

"This is the real reason Trump and his enablers cannot accept the results of the 2020 election: to do so would reveal that the Southern Strategy has run its course. By investing in division, Republicans have clung to power for half a century, betting on having the larger half if they could split the nation in two. But increased turnout, especially among Black, brown, Native and low-income Americans of every race, not only flipped the rust belt but also broke through the sun belt in Arizona and Georgia. Despite the obstacles of a public health crisis and intentional voter suppression, a new majority engaged the democratic process in 2020 and rejected the Southern Strategy. Republicans are standing by a delusional president because they cannot yet imagine a future apart from the imagined past they promised to white America."

Mr Laurier

Was Trump's political career one big example of Lee Atwater's Southern strategy?

You start out in 1954 by saying, “N*gger, n*gger, n*gger.” By 1968 you can’t say “n*gger”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced busing, states’ rights, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “N*gger, n*gger.”

And is it finally failing?

"This is the real reason Trump and his enablers cannot accept the results of the 2020 election: to do so would reveal that the Southern Strategy has run its course. By investing in division, Republicans have clung to power for half a century, betting on having the larger half if they could split the nation in two. But increased turnout, especially among Black, brown, Native and low-income Americans of every race, not only flipped the rust belt but also broke through the sun belt in Arizona and Georgia. Despite the obstacles of a public health crisis and intentional voter suppression, a new majority engaged the democratic process in 2020 and rejected the Southern Strategy. Republicans are standing by a delusional president because they cannot yet imagine a future apart from the imagined past they promised to white America."

They are indeed.

Whateverman

I guess I think Drumpf and his supporters are incapable of the kind of political chess this article suggests. They're bad tic-tac-toe aficionados, at best...

The notion that they can see more than a single move into the future, let alone having a strategy which spans decades, just doesn't pass the sniff test for me. They do what they do because that's what they wanted to do at the moment. Sure, Drumpf had an agenda when he ran in 2016, and he's stuck to some of it: packing the courts with conservatives, deregulation, keeping/kicking immigrants out of the country, etc.

Beyond that, I doubt any of them have ever heard of Lee Atwater. I doubt that have some secret strategy meant to bring about some racist utopia. Etc...

Ficciones

I think Roger Stone and Steve Bannon have heard of Lee Atwater. Trump? Who knows. He just had ideas that fit with the program.