Are some people in the U.S. trying to remove old ideas, old culture, old habits and old customs?

Temujin

Are some people in the U.S. trying to remove old ideas, old culture, old habits and old customs?
Old ideas like "Black people are inferior to white people" ? Old culture like "Marriage can only be between one man and one (or several) women" ? Old habits like carrying guns as a penis substitute? Old customs like only voting for rich, old white misogynists for political office?

Or did you have something else in mind?

Temujin

The very creation of the U.S. was an attempt to remove some old ideas, habits, and customs.
Probably the same could be said for every country, back to before there were countries. Even chimpanzee troops have unique cultures and ideas.

vibise

Old ideas like "Black people are inferior to white people" ? Old culture like "Marriage can only be between one man and one (or several) women" ? Old habits like carrying guns as a penis substitute? Old customs like only voting for rich, old white misogynists for political office?

I would add to that list of old (conservative) ideas/habits/customs that should be retired:

Honoring Confederate traitors with statues and putting their names on schools, streets, military bases, etc.
Women are inferior and should not hold positions with real responsibility.
Science is an opinion that has no more validity than other opinions.
Women are too stupid or irresponsible to make reproductive decisions.
Republicans are fiscally responsible.
America is a Christian nation and therefore Christians should be privileged over all others.

Mr Laurier

You have never been to a reservation, have you.
Never read about the residential school system.
Never gone over the old anti-Indian laws that criminalized our various cultures, languages, and identities.

You have never been to a reservation, have you.
Never read about the residential school system.
Never gone over the old anti-Indian laws that criminalized our various cultures, languages, and identities.
If I'm understanding correctly. Many cultures and nations did bad things to other cultures and nations in the past. Things like conquering and in slaving. Things like removing the existence of the previous culture and/or nation. It seems as though the U.S. and/or western societies are the only ones being held accountable for that. I think many nations including the U.S. have done bad things in history. When do some think the past can be left in the past? Some current nations now are the result of other nations that were conquered in history.

Some think a new way of doing the same thing is happening but from the inside out. With getting rid of the 4 olds. Is that Okay?

I think somethings need to be improved and corrected but not at the expense of other things. I don't believe in injustice to fight injustice.

Last edited:

Mr Laurier

If I'm understanding correctly. Many cultures and nations did bad things to other cultures and nations in the past. Things like conquering and in slaving. Things like removing the existence of the previous culture and/or nation. It seems as though the U.S. and/or western societies are the only ones being held accountable for that. I think many nations including the U.S. have done bad things in history. When do some think the past can be left in the past? Some current nations now are the result of other nations that were conquered in history.

Some think a new way of doing the same thing is happening but from the inside out. With getting rid of the 4 olds. Is that Okay?

I think somethings need to be improved and corrected but not at the expense of other things. I don't believe in injustice to fight injustice.
You are not understanding correctly.

Harry Leggs

I would add to that list of old (conservative) ideas/habits/customs that should be retired:

Honoring Confederate traitors with statues and putting their names on schools, streets, military bases, etc.
Is that why your side leftist rips them down? How is that improving things? Erasing history? What traitors are you referencing?

“Not to know what happened before you were born is to remain a child forever,” Cicero.

Forgetting the atrocities of communism is bad enough. What is even more dangerous is the habit of forgetting one’s past. The Czech novelist Milan Kundera drily observes that nobody today will defend gulags, but the world remains full of suckers for the false utopian promises that bring gulags into existence.

Dreher, Rod. Live Not by Lies (pp. 112-113). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

You know what suckers are being referenced here. Leftist like you.

Science is an opinion that has no more validity than other opinions.
You mean the so called science of biological males thinking they are females so they can wear dresses and use the women's can or your belief you are an ape? Pretending they are females is actually anti biology.
Women are too stupid or irresponsible to make reproductive decisions.
This is so toxic and vindictive. You must mean abortion.
Republicans are fiscally responsible.
Yup relative to democrats.
America is a Christian nation and therefore Christians should be privileged over all others
This is a straight-up lie. You all on the left lie so much it has become normalized. Truth is over lies and you leftists do not get to bend reality to your liking.

Harry Leggs

Why don't you marry a goat? Be ahead of the curve.

Harry Leggs

If Democrats are so bad,
Bad? They are horrible. You guys are like an incurable contamination driving everybody to madness and division. Leftists lie cheat and think they can get away with anything.
there is no need to call them we Communists and then accuse them of being responsible for the atrocities of the old Soviet Unio.
This was in reference to tearing down statutes which is leftists along with burning and looting and harassing and attacking. I still remember that married couple in New York where the lady was attacked by a man with a 2x4. That is all leftist and do you think anybody is going to forget all that?

What do you all hope to accomplish with all the looting and tearing down of statutes? How is it improving anything except setting up dissenters as villiains to be killed raped or locked up like your leftist predecessors did all over the world again and again?

“In the Soviet Union, they killed all the people who could remember history.” This made it easier for them to create false history to serve the regime’s needs.

Dreher, Rod. Live Not by Lies (p. 117). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

Last edited:

Bob1

Nothing wrong with carrying guns.

Temujin

It is an old habit that most countries have grown out of. Gentlemen don't wear rapiers any more. We have ordered society so that carrying weapons is not just unnecessary but considered anti-social. I understand that your cultural sensitivities differ, but you pay a price in hundreds of lives a year. Is it worth it? Not for me to say.

Mr Laurier

Bad? They are horrible. You guys are like an incurable contamination driving everybody to madness and division. Leftists lie cheat and think they can get away with anything.

This was in reference to tearing down statutes which is leftists along with burning and looting and harassing and attacking. I still remember that married couple in New York where the lady was attacked by a man with a 2x4. That is all leftist and do you think anybody is going to forget all that?

What do you all hope to accomplish with all the looting and tearing down of statutes? How is it improving anything except setting up dissenters as villiains to be killed raped or locked up like your leftist predecessors did all over the world again and again?

“In the Soviet Union, they killed all the people who could remember history.” This made it easier for them to create false history to serve the regime’s needs.

Dreher, Rod. Live Not by Lies (p. 117). Penguin Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
I find your inability to have your own opinions, slightly more sad than the fact that those opinions your have are all wrong.
Alas, your whole understanding of reality seems to be derived from one right wing writer. That you include his name, and the page from which your opinion is taken, does not help you at all. Your opinion giver is himself making up all his "facts" from old movie scenes and "real men" novels.

Mr Laurier

I carry mine from the cabinet to the table when I clean them. And then back to the cabinet after.
I carry them from the car to the range, and back.
I carry them to the blind when its deer season. And I carry a thermos of tea, and another of stew. And a chair.
I do hope I never have to carry them into a battlefield, but the way things are going....

Its when someone feels the need to carry three of four to the store to buy a bag of chips.
Some folks wear a brace of ARs to waddle through a minority neighborhood wearing walmart camo, with his fellow gun worshippers. That is a problem. Those clowns make us all look bad, especially when they profess to speak for all of us.

Bob1

It is an old habit that most countries have grown out of. Gentlemen don't wear rapiers any more. We have ordered society so that carrying weapons is not just unnecessary but considered anti-social. I understand that your cultural sensitivities differ, but you pay a price in hundreds of lives a year. Is it worth it? Not for me to say.
Yes, it is worth it. I'm liberal on a lot of things but I stand by the 2nd amendment 200%. I'm from a family that has always owned guns. You can't rely on the police for protection, despite your wanting to believe it to be true. And I'm not taking a swipe at the police with that statement either. The simple fact is that given the ratio of police to citizens, it's not very likely that a cop is going to be right nearby when you really need one.

Bob1

I carry mine from the cabinet to the table when I clean them. And then back to the cabinet after.
I carry them from the car to the range, and back.
I carry them to the blind when its deer season. And I carry a thermos of tea, and another of stew. And a chair.
I do hope I never have to carry them into a battlefield, but the way things are going....

Its when someone feels the need to carry three of four to the store to buy a bag of chips.
Some folks wear a brace of ARs to waddle through a minority neighborhood wearing walmart camo, with his fellow gun worshippers. That is a problem. Those clowns make us all look bad, especially when they profess to speak for all of us.
I support concealed and open carry. No, I'm not a right-wingnut militia fruit either. I merely believe in self-defense.