Are YOU ashamed of Jesus and his words?

Our Lord's God

34 And he called the crowd with His disciples, and said to them, “If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow me. 35 For whoever wishes to save his soul will lose it, but whoever loses his soul for my sake and the Gospel will save it. 36 For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world, and forfeit his soul? 37 For what will a man give in exchange for his soul? 38 For whoever is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will also be ashamed of him when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.” Mark 8:34-38

Are YOU ashamed of Jesus' words? Let's have a look and see....

Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect. Matthew 5:48

Do you believe Jesus or deny him?

For the gate is narrow and the way is difficult that leads to life, and there are few who find it. Matthew 7:14

And a lawyer stood up and put Him to the test, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?” And He said to him, “What is written in the Law? How does it read to you?” And he answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself.” And He said to him, “You have answered correctly. Do this and you will live.” Luke 10

Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Matthew 7:21.

He who has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me.
John 14:21

Do not marvel at this; for an hour is coming, in which all who are in the tombs will hear His voice, and will come forth - those who did the good to a resurrection of life, those who did evil to a resurrection of judgment. John 5:28-29

For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of his Father with his angels, and will then repay every man according to his deeds.

If anyone comes to me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple..... 33 none of you can be my disciple who does forsake all that he has. Luke 14:26-33

He who loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me and he who loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of be. 38 And he who does not take his cross and follow after me is not worthy of me. Matthew 10:37-38

Do you believe him or deny him?

Are you ashamed of Jesus and his words?

Or do you agree with everything he said?

For whoever is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will also be ashamed of him when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels
.” Mark 8:38

Last edited:

Our Lord's God

And how can you say you believe in Jesus when you don't even believe what he said?

"Why do you call me 'Lord, Lord' and not do what I say? - Jesus

Algernon

34 And he called the crowd with His disciples, and said to them, “If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow me. 35 For whoever wishes to save his soul will lose it, but whoever loses his soul for my sake and the Gospel will save it. 36 For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world, and forfeit his soul? 37 For what will a man give in exchange for his soul? 38 For whoever is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will also be ashamed of him when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.” Mark 8:34-38

Are YOU ashamed of Jesus' words? Let's have a look and see....

Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect. Matthew 5:48

For the gate is narrow and the way is difficult that leads to life, and there are few who find it. Matthew 7:14

And a lawyer stood up and put Him to the test, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?” And He said to him, “What is written in the Law? How does it read to you?” And he answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself.” And He said to him, “You have answered correctly. Do this and you will live.” Luke 10

Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the Kingdom of Heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Matthew 7:21.

He who has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me.
John 14:21

Do not marvel at this; for an hour is coming, in which all who are in the tombs will hear His voice, and will come forth - those who did the good to a resurrection of life, those who did evil to a resurrection of judgment. John 5:28-29

For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of his Father with his angels, and will then repay every man according to his deeds.

If anyone comes to me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple..... 33 none of you can be my disciple who does forsake all that he has. Luke 14:26-33

He who loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me and he who loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of be. 38 And he who does not take his cross and follow after me is not worthy of me. Matthew 10:37-38

Do you believe him or deny him?

Are you ashamed of Jesus and his words?

Or do you agree with everything he said?

For whoever is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will also be ashamed of him when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels
.” Mark 8:38
In my experience, most Christians don't know the half of the words spoken by Jesus while He preached His gospel. NONE have taken the time to understand those words in and of themselves: To understand the underlying concepts. To understand the overarching themes. Christianity does not have those words as its foundation.

This despite that fact that in the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry, He repeatedly emphasizes the importance of the words spoken by Him while He preached His gospel.

Understanding His word.
Not just understanding His word, but believing His word.
Not just believing His word, but following His word.
Not just following His word, but keeping His word.
Not just keeping His word, but abiding in His word.

Only those who keep and abide in those words, truly "believe" / "believe in" Jesus.

Those who do not keep and abide in those words, do not truly "believe" / "believe in" Jesus - no matter how much they may claim otherwise. Neither do they understand nor even hear.

John 12
46 “I have come as Light into the world, so that everyone who believes in Me will not remain in darkness.
50 “I know that His commandment is eternal life; therefore the things I speak, I speak just as the Father has told Me.”
48 “He who rejects Me and does not receive My sayings, has one who judges him; the word I spoke is what will judge him at the last day.

"He who has ears to hear, let him hear".

Our Lord's God

In my experience, most Christians don't know the half of the words spoken by Jesus while He preached His gospel. NONE have taken the time to understand those words in and of themselves: To understand the underlying concepts. To understand the overarching themes. Christianity does not have those words as its foundation.

Actually most do not even care. They are far more concerned with their denominational creeds and being approved by their peers.

Algernon

Actually most do not even care. They are far more concerned with their denominational creeds and being approved by their peers.
Wholeheartedly agree. If they did care, they would have taken the time to not only know all of the words He spoke, but to fully understand Him - especially given that Jesus repeatedly emphasized the importance of the words He spoke while preaching His gospel.

As perverse as it is, most of them call Him "Lord" and call themselves "Followers of Christ", yet it isn't His words that they follow. How can they abide in, keep or believe His words when they neither understand nor even hear His words?

Our Lord's God

Wholeheartedly agree. If they did care, they would have taken the time to not only know all of the words He spoke, but to fully understand Him - especially given that Jesus repeatedly emphasized the importance of the words He spoke while preaching His gospel.

As perverse as it is, most of them call Him "Lord" and call themselves "Followers of Christ", yet it isn't His words that they follow. How can they abide in, keep or believe His words when they neither understand nor even hear His words?

Why do you call me, "Lord, Lord" and not do what I say?

Algernon

Why do you call me, "Lord, Lord" and not do what I say?
Exactly. They don't even hear, understand or believe what He says much less do what He says, so there's no way they can keep or abide in His word.

John 8
31 ...If you abide in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine...

Last edited:

Our Lord's God

Exactly. They don't even hear, understand or believe what He says much less do what He says, so there's no way they can keep or abide in His word.

John 8
31 ...If you abide in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine...

By this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commands. The one who says, “I have come to know him,” and does not keep his commands, is a liar, and the truth is not in him but whoever keeps his word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in him: the one who says he abides in him ought himself to walk just as he walked. 1 John 2:3-6

The above verse seems to be missing from most of their Bibles.

Algernon

By this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commands. The one who says, “I have come to know him,” and does not keep his commands, is a liar, and the truth is not in him but whoever keeps his word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in him: the one who says he abides in him ought himself to walk just as he walked. 1 John 2:3-6

Just one of many.

Over the years, I've come across only one individual that was willing to set aside the dogma that they'd been taught and make an honest attempt at allowing the words Jesus spoke while preaching His gospel to speak for themselves. Though most refuse to admit it, they pick and choose the verses and passages from the Bible that support their beliefs and dismiss those that don't and often do so in a most disingenuous manner.

Gary Mac

Religious folk only believe certain things about Jesus and his God based on the laws of the creed they member to. They do not learn the education from God Himself but rely on opinions based on beliefs instead of the reality of God Himself being able to communicate His will. Christ is humiliating to the temper of mind that looks upon God through a belief instead of reality in the presence of God with Christ as your mind anointed of God. Even Adam came to this knowledge in Gen 3:22. Most try and serve Jesus and his God in a spirit that is not His.

Woody50

Just one of many.

Over the years, I've come across only one individual that was willing to set aside the dogma that they'd been taught and make an honest attempt at allowing the words Jesus spoke while preaching His gospel to speak for themselves. Though most refuse to admit it, they pick and choose the verses and passages from the Bible that support their beliefs and dismiss those that don't and often do so in a most disingenuous manner.
Just asking: Do you "walk as He walked?" Does anyone? Are you the one who picks and chooses, or the one you laud in your post?

Woody50

Religious folk only believe certain things about Jesus and his God based on the laws of the creed they member to. They do not learn the education from God Himself but rely on opinions based on beliefs instead of the reality of God Himself being able to communicate His will. Christ is humiliating to the temper of mind that looks upon God through a belief instead of reality in the presence of God with Christ as your mind anointed of God. Even Adam came to this knowledge in Gen 3:22. Most try and serve Jesus and his God in a spirit that is not His.
Another question: are you among the "religious folk" you mention, or are you different?

Woody50

So, if a person falls and sins...?

Algernon

Just asking: Do you "walk as He walked?" Does anyone? Are you the one who picks and chooses, or the one you laud in your post?
How does this reasonably address my post?

Your point seems to boil down to YOU don't think that what it says in 1 John 2:3-6 is possible, so you don't believe it.

This is the type of thing I had in mind when I wrote, "they pick and choose the verses and passages from the Bible that support their beliefs and dismiss those that don't and often do so in a most disingenuous manner."

Woody50

No. But I understand why you'd say that. You didn't answer my question, though.

Do you walk as He walked?

The reason I ask is that this seems to me to be a "I'm better than 'those' because I am like Jesus" posts.

To be specific, you seem to say that you're sinless now.

Forgive me if I'm wrong. Just trying to explain my point....and understand yours.

Algernon

Do you walk as He walked?

The reason I ask is that this seems to me to be a "I'm better than 'those' because I am like Jesus" posts.

To be specific, you seem to say that you're sinless now.
Go back over my responses to @Our Lord's God and you. I never said anything of the kind. If you disagree, then show where I did.

The point is that Jesus says what He says and doesn't say what He doesn't say. Yet many pretend that the words don't say what they actually say and/or that they say what they don't actually say. They don't allow His words to speak for themselves.

Whether or not any given individual does or does not "walk as He walked", the words still say what they actually say.
As such, your question is irrelevant.

Do I believe that anyone can walk as He walked? I believe that many have, can, do and will. Not only that, that according to the gospel preached by Jesus, it's required for salvation / for eternal life / to live in the Kingdom.

Matthew 10
24“A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a slave above his master. 25“It is enough for the disciple that he become like his teacher, and the slave like his master.

Luke 6
39And He also spoke a parable to them: “A blind man cannot guide a blind man, can he? Will they not both fall into a pit? 40“A pupil is not above his teacher; but everyone, after he has been fully trained, will be like his teacher.

John 8
34Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin."
31 ...If you abide in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; 32and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”
36So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed. "
35The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son does remain forever.

Last edited:

Theo1689

Over the years, I've come across only one individual that was willing to set aside the dogma that they'd been taught and make an honest attempt at allowing the words Jesus spoke while preaching His gospel to speak for themselves.

1) How do you determine that? Do you make that evaluation based on whether they agree with YOUR opinion of what Jesus taught?

2) Do you allow that people can "make an honest attempt at allowing the words Jesus spoke ... to speak for themselves", yet come to a different conclusion than you, or do you demand that they agree with you in order to "make an honest attempt"?

Woody50

Go back over my responses to @Our Lord's God and you. I never said anything of the kind. If you disagree, then show where I did.

The point is that Jesus says what He says and doesn't say what He doesn't say. Yet many pretend that the words don't say what they actually say and/or that they say what they don't actually say. They don't allow His words to speak for themselves.

Whether or not any given individual does or does not "walk as He walked", the words still say what they actually say.
As such, your question is irrelevant.

Do I believe that anyone can walk as He walked? I believe that many have, can, do and will. Not only that, that according to the gospel preached by Jesus, it's required for salvation / for eternal life / to live in the Kingdom.

Matthew 10
24“A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a slave above his master. 25“It is enough for the disciple that he become like his teacher, and the slave like his master.

Luke 6
39And He also spoke a parable to them: “A blind man cannot guide a blind man, can he? Will they not both fall into a pit? 40“A pupil is not above his teacher; but everyone, after he has been fully trained, will be like his teacher.

John 8
34Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin."
31 ...If you abide in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; 32and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”
36So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed. "
35The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son does remain forever.
No, my question is relevant. Do you walk as He walked? Just answer the question.

I know you didn't say that. You're not saying much at all, actually. I'm just trying to understand.

Here's my paraphrase of your stance, from what I know. Please correct me if I'm wrong and I'll try again:

To be saved, Jesus says that we must walk as He walked. If we don't, then we're not saved. In order to have eternal life, we must life perfectly--as Jesus did.

Yes?

Algernon

The fact is that a very large percentage of Christians don't know the half of what Jesus said while He preached his gospel. What little they do know, they interpret what within the lens of the dogma which they've been taught.

Some years ago, I shared my views with a retired pastor. He disagreed with my views. So I gave him this challenge: Set aside everything you believe and read all the words spoken by Jesus while He preached His gospel. In other words, allow His words to speak for themselves. He told me that he didn't think that he could do that.

Since that time, I've only come across one individual who was willing to do that.