Atheist religious beliefs

Bob Carabbio

You are basing the definition of a view held by hundreds of millions of people on the activities of the couple of hundred in here.
Don't see a problem with that?

Or are you too busy picketing veterans' funerals with "GOD HATES GAYS!!!" placards? Because if the Phelps lot do it, all Christians must...
PSST!!! Fred's DEAD, but was "Excommunicated" from Westboro Baptist for being too "Hateful" (imagine that).

All I know is that the "Atheists" who come here are really nothing more than common "Agnostics".

Whatsisface

Why would you bother to "Criticize" what you have ZERO interest or belief in??
Because you believe them, of course. I have an interest in why people believe as they do as do many others here, and this is a place for discussing such things. I think that religious beliefs are not reasonable, and I think unreasonableness is the cause of a lot of trouble in the world. For example, I think we would both agree that Islam is an unreasonable belief and that it's caused a lot of trouble in the world.

Last edited:

Bob Carabbio

I think we would both agree that Islam is an unreasonable belief and that it's caused a lot of trouble in the world.
Obviously it's NOT "unreasonable" (to humans) as witnessed by the number of victims that ascribe (and occasionally MURDER) to it's claims.
That it's caused trouble is there for all to see. As we leave the middle East, The Taliban moves right in to fill the vacuum.

Whatsisface

Obviously it's NOT "unreasonable" (to humans) as witnessed by the number of victims that ascribe (and occasionally MURDER) to it's claims.
That it's caused trouble is there for all to see. As we leave the middle East, The Taliban moves right in to fill the vacuum.
They are ultimately being unreasonable for their religious beliefs.

Gus Bovona

All I know is that the "Atheists" who come here are really nothing more than common "Agnostics".
Agnostics are also atheists:

Some people believe in a god. We call them theists.

What shall we call everyone else? The prefix "a-" signifies negation, so a-theist would identify everyone who is not a theist. Everyone is either a theist, or the negation, which is an atheist.

That means atheists include those who
  • claim there are no gods (believe in the claim "there are no gods")
  • say that theists haven't made their case and thus lack a belief in any gods
  • are on the fence and can't make up their minds (agnostics)
  • those who haven't really thought about it much and have come to no conclusion one way or the other
  • those who don't even know the issue exists
  • and maybe others
NB: not every atheist is an agnostic.

Furion

Right. Which is a non trivial aspect of the whole semantic issue. I do have issues wrt calling babies and rocks atheist. OTOH the potential multiplicity of deities is a real issue in why I do not think any of them are real.
A rock and an atheist walk into a bar...