Atheist religious beliefs

Algor

The failure of the analogy was the joke.
It's just that you didn't intend to make it.

(And quote-mining me was another joke you didn't intend to make...)
The rock says "I lack belief, and that's funny because by some definitions I'm an atheist, so even though I lack the capacity for belief, I'm an atheist. The humorous aspect of it is that even though, for the vast majority of discussions, and for the purposes of discussing the relative psychological, social and cultural differences between atheism and theism, it is important to remember that people who discuss and often advocate for the validity of atheism have any of a number of ideas about various Gods in their heads, and think that Gods likely do not exist, insist that atheists are best defined as those who do not have beliefs about God. To be specific, such atheists DO have beliefs about God, i.e. they believe that he doesn't exist. One motive for saying that atheists lack beliefs in God is that he atheist does not want to give any rhetorical ground for the (misleading, but tediously and recurrently employed) idea that if atheists do have beliefs, these are necessarily religious beliefs, because the belief refers to God. Anyhow, that's why the joke is funny.

On reflection, the joke also is talking about a rock walking into a bar. Rocks are inanimate (ie they can't walk) and most of them even lack legs (except maybe if they are carved rocks) so the idea of a rock walking into a bar is incongruous. This joke is therefore funny because it combines the satire on "lacking belief" as a definition of atheism with the incongruity of a rock walking into a bar. Both satire and incongruity are important elements of narrative humor"

Last edited:

stiggy wiggy

The rock says "I lack belief, and that's funny because by some definitions I'm an atheist, so I lack beliefs. The humorous aspect of it is that even though, for the vast majority of discussions, and for the purposes of discussing the relative psychological, social and cultural differences between atheism and theism, it is important to remember that people who discuss and often advocate for the validity of atheism have any of a number of ideas about various Gods in their heads, and think that Gods likely do not exist, insist that atheists are best defined as those who do not have beliefs about God. To be specific, such atheists DO have beliefs about God, i.e. they believe that he doesn't exist. One motive for saying that atheists lack beliefs in God is that he atheist does not want to give any rhetorical ground for the (misleading, but tediously and recurrently employed) idea that if atheists do have beleifs, these are necessarily religious beleifs, because the belief refers to God. Anyhow, that's why the joke is funny."

Rerun:

If a Christian thought like some atheists:

"I don't believe Jesus rose from the dead. I just lack belief that He didn't."

Eightcrackers

Rerun:

If a Christian thought like some atheists:

"I don't believe Jesus rose from the dead. I just lack belief that He didn't."
Christianity is defined in terms of active belief.
Atheism is not; it is perfectly possible for an atheist to lack belief that Jesus did not rise from the dead.
Because that's not the same as believing that he did.

Eightcrackers

To be specific, such atheists DO have beliefs about God, i.e. they believe that he doesn't exist.
"Such" atheists do not define atheism any more than people that hate poker define those that don't play poker.

Of course, the atheists in here do have active beliefs about gods... but that's the atheists in here.

Algor

"Such" atheists do not define atheism any more than people that hate poker define those that don't play poker.

Of course, the atheists in here do have active beliefs about gods... but that's the atheists in here.

How many atheists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Not all lightbulb sockets are screw type, and as well, some atheists are visually blind, or may use non-electrical light sources. So the question begs the question as to the nature of atheism and the relevant cultural context.

Electric Skeptic

The atheists in here do not necessarily have beliefs about the existence of gods (i.e. whether or not they exist). Like all atheists, the most that can be said is that they lack belief in their existence.

Eightcrackers

The atheists in here do not necessarily have beliefs about the existence of gods (i.e. whether or not they exist). Like all atheists, the most that can be said is that they lack belief in their existence.
Maybe, but their being in here certainly denotes an active belief about Christianity.