Atheist tell us what is wrong with lying.

Authentic Nouveau

Your handed down sacred writ please.

Reformedguy said:
So as a atheist what is the matter with lying?

Ripping off the 10 commandments is not allowed.

For bonus points, post your complete book of rules.

Many times when atheists disagree with what I post, they launch into lying about my education or credentials.

Whatsisface

Atheist tell us what is wrong with lying.​

Well, if you claim to be a brilliant surgeon and then by further lying get yourself in the operating room performing surgery, you will kill someone.

Temujin

I think the question is...

What is the matter with lying if it doesn't kill or cause pain to anyone?
It's harmful to the liar. If you have a reputation for being deceitful, other people are less likely to cooperate with you. We are a social, cooperative species. Outcast members do not thrive.

Whatsisface

I think the question is...

What is the matter with lying if it doesn't kill or cause pain to anyone?
I think it depends on the intent. If you lie to be tactful and save someone's feelings, then I think that's ok to a degree. If you lie for malicious intent, then that isn't ok.

bigthinker

lol... Other than bearing false witness, the 10 commandments are moot on lying.

Many times when atheists disagree with what I post, they launch into lying about my education or credentials.
To be fair, when atheists do this, they are parodying you.

Is lying wrong?
When lying is wrong it is usually due to reason for deceiving someone.
I don't consider it wrong to lie to someone to keep a surprise birthday party for them.

The Pixie

Well, Authie, let us say "hypothetically" that you lie to us, and pretend to be a medical doctor, and then get confused between mitochondria and midi-chlorians, that utterly destroys all your credibility - and by extension, to some degree destroys the credibility of the religion you are promoting.

Or let us say "hypothetically" that you lie to us, and pretend to own a yacht and are the skipper of the local yacht club, and then think knots per hour is a speed, that utterly destroys all your credibility - and by extension, to some degree destroys the credibility of the religion you are promoting.

Oh, and you will discover people throw these lies back in your face on a regular basis.

Hope this helps.

Authentic Nouveau

Well, if you claim to be a brilliant surgeon and then by further lying get yourself in the operating room performing surgery, you will kill someone.
So who did that? You have no rules to show us?

According to this thread, this thread doesn't ask if killing is wrong. Atheists have been busy with that also in the past 100 years.

Authentic Nouveau

It's harmful to the liar. If you have a reputation for being deceitful, other people are less likely to cooperate with you. We are a social, cooperative species. Outcast members do not thrive.
Where is your Rule Book?

Is it harmful to the liar who claims I have never been "in some operating theatre"?
What about the abortion people who lied under oath to the Supreme Court to get abortion legalized?

Authentic Nouveau

Well, Authie, let us say "hypothetically" that you lie to us, and pretend to be a medical doctor, and then get confused between mitochondria and midi-chlorians, that utterly destroys all your credibility - and by extension, to some degree destroys the credibility of the religion you are promoting.

Or let us say "hypothetically" that you lie to us, and pretend to own a yacht and are the skipper of the local yacht club, and then think knots per hour is a speed, that utterly destroys all your credibility - and by extension, to some degree destroys the credibility of the religion you are promoting.

Oh, and you will discover people throw these lies back in your face on a regular basis.

Hope this helps.
Where is your Rule Book?

Why do you refer to lies your people have posted about me?

Why are you also pushing quotemines?

I observe how atheeists make claims and are to lazy to gather facts.

Electric Skeptic

That would seem to be the correct answer for an atheist.
No, it wouldn't. This is the correct answer for me. I believe it to be correct, but there is no obligation, necessity or need for other atheists to agree with me.

There is no "correct answer" to any question to an atheist except "Do you believe in the existence of gods" (to which the answer, by definition (of 'atheist') must be 'no').
But why do you think it is so hard for many atheists to admit that?
It's not a matter of admitting. All atheists don't agree with me, nor do they need to by virtue of their atheism.

Why do so many Christians mischaracterise atheism and try to insist that they all must hold similar views - on anything?