Atheists and others here:

Algor

How many people here have ever belonged to an explicitly atheist organization?
Just curious. Myself, never.

(Addendum: if you are or were an atheist and never have, I'm interested in that too)

Last edited:

Mr Laurier

Nope.
I was on the board of the local folk music society for 2 consecutive 2 year terms.
We had christians, jews, muslims, hindus, wiccans, buddhists, and atheists.

Gus Bovona

I am on the Board of Directors of my local atheist non-profit. Tonight we are setting up a booth at our local farmers' market - the social center of the town, happens every Thursday, the downtown drag is closed off to vehicles and a small number of thousands of people stroll by, it's very cool - for outreach and to engage with the religious and the random heathen alike.

Algor

Nope.
I was on the board of the local folk music society for 2 consecutive 2 year terms.
We had christians, jews, muslims, hindus, wiccans, buddhists, and atheists.
I was a boy scout for a long time: never went for Eagle Scout, though I could have. It was never an issue, and we were always doing stuff at churches.

Algor

I am on the Board of Directors of my local atheist non-profit. Tonight we are setting up a booth at our local farmers' market - the social center of the town, happens every Thursday, the downtown drag is closed off to vehicles and a small number of thousands of people stroll by, it's very cool - for outreach and to engage with the religious and the random heathen alike.
Do you do political stuff or is it more just community oriented?

Gus Bovona

Do you do political stuff or is it more just community oriented?
The only political stuff we do is when there is a separation of church and state issue. Our most famous local example was a close-by city's practice of having an official, city-sponsored chaplain that gave sectarian invocations. We asked the city council to stop, they wouldn't, we connected with a national atheist non-profit, they filed a lawsuit, we won pretty quickly. Only received lawyer's fees plus one dollar.

But most of our activities are community, and educational, and social.

Gotta go for an appointment now, I'll check back later.

Furion

(Addendum: if you are or were an atheist and never have, I'm interested in that too)
Nope.

I've also never been member at any specific church.

Come to think of it, apart from high school I've never been a member or 'belonged' to any organization besides my employer..

And the obligatory, I wouldn't join any organization the would have me, of course.

But I am a member of the body of Christ, His church, it is enough.

Algor

Nope.

Come to think of it, apart from high school I've never been a member or 'belonged' to any organization besides my employer..

And the obligatory, I wouldn't join any organization the would have me, of course.

I see you are a Marxist though.

(Groucho type, of course)

stiggy wiggy

Nope.

Ditto, all of the above.

stiggy wiggy

What would that be like:

"Gentlemen, I now call to order our Thursday Night Atheist Club. Gus, would you please read the minutes from last Thursday's meeting?"

GUS: "Thank you, Mister Chairman. Last week Bob had the floor and said he lacked belief. Fred then seconded that. Then the Chair asked for a show of hands for those with evidence one way or the other. There was no response, so we adjourned."

Algor

@Whateverman

There are two positions of which all discussion is banned on CARM. Your post mentions one of them. I'd recommend a swift edit.
Hm. Forgot that.
You know, I *tried* to join a {organization} in Boston several years ago. The website seemed legit, I filled out a questionnaire, sent it off - and never heard from them. I believe I sent a follow-up email, but still got no reply.

That was my only attempt to belong to a purely atheist organization. In general, I have no desire to organize around atheism.
unrelated, but in my salad days I lived next to a masonic temple that had the most gorgeous stone goat gargoyle...

bigthinker

I was a member of a church once. No idea how many were atheists.

Komodo

I'm still a member of the ACLU, whose goal (I've been told on several occasions) was turning America into an atheistic communist state, but I guess that's only implicit rather than explicit. I think you have to become a 33rd degree civil libertarian before they tell you the whole plan.

But no, never belonged to American Atheists or anything like that.