Atheists: What motivates your proselytizing zeal?

Because the experiences I've with God and the devil confirm that God exists and Jesus is his name. I'm done explaining.
This amounts to

"I just know"

and a lot of deceived people say - and think - they "just know".

One last question: if, somehow, you died and found out that you had been wrong all along, would you regret having lived your life as a Christian?

Last edited:
This amounts to

"I just know"

and a lot of deceived people say - and think - they "just know".

One last question: if, somehow, you died and found out that you had been wrong all along, would you regret having lived your life as a Christian?
No.

What about you? Will you regret it when you meet Jesus on judgment day?

You wouldn't regret having lived as a Christian if you turned out to have been wrong? Why not?

I get to enjoy love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control...among others.

If I am wrong it is perfectly ok, I've not seen better in this world, and certainly not atheism.

I get to enjoy love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control...among others.

If I am wrong it is perfectly ok, I've not seen better in this world, and certainly not atheism.
That's a straightforward answer, thanks.

No.

What about you? Will you regret it when you meet Jesus on judgment day?
"When"?

If I do, my conscience will be clear, as far as Jesus goes - I have lived my life trying not to harm people for no reason (and trying to make amends to them, if I do), and in honest, open-minded skepticism of Christianity.

But why wouldn't you regret being a Christian? All that worship, all that curtailing of your own impulses and behaviour, all that time spent believing a falsehood?

You wouldn't regret having lived as a Christian if you turned out to have been wrong? Why not?
I cannot imagine that happening. Seriously, I can't.

The only regret, being very honest, would be how I spent my money. I had decided when I first read the OT (I devoured the Bible within the first month of becoming a Christian.) about Abraham that I would give a tenth of what money I made to God. No human told me to do that. I don't regret giving to the work of God and others in need but IF after death I found out I was wrong about Jesus, I might wish I had used some of that money differently.

Despite that being a Christian has made me a much more generous person than I would have ever been as an atheist and given me purpose and desires that don't have to do with this world. I'm not concerned with status or wealth, or trying to impress others. I wouldn't regret living as a Christian at all.

"When"?

If I do, my conscience will be clear, as far as Jesus goes - I have lived my life trying not to harm people for no reason (and trying to make amends to them, if I do), and in honest, open-minded skepticism of Christianity.

But why wouldn't you regret being a Christian? All that worship, all that curtailing of your own impulses and behaviour, all that time spent believing a falsehood?
Can you say that you have never sinned? (according to the Biblical definition)

I love the worship of God. His presence is amazing. What behavior or impulses that were curtained because of my faith, were definitely worth curtailing.

I'm always stoked when atheists play the christian.

I want nothing more than for you to be an upright, moral person. Doing good is always good. God doesn't discriminate in that.

"Skepticism of Christianity" is rather silly.

I have absolutely no trust whatsoever with "Christianity" It birthed romanists. That's enough to not trust it right there, but Calvin's Geneva doesn't help, neither does Luther. Or how about all that death in England through the years, bloody Mary is more than a drink, unfortunately. Lots of bad men have used "Christianity" for their own lusts.

When I tell you that I've spoken with other tongues, I'm not making something up. It really happened to me. I was not expecting it to happen when it did. It's fine if you don't believe me.
It's not that we don't believe you experienced something, it's what you experienced that is at least possible to question. I can see two possibilities, either something supernatural happened according to your beliefs, or you were in what was probably an emotionally charged and profound situation for you, and you were caught up in the moment.

How could you tell between the two?
But I no longer want to specifically tell you or WIS or any atheist who is not genuinely interested in these things that I've experienced that convince me that God is real. I will generalize them instead.
I take it WIS is me. Please bear in mind that this place is meant for debating these issues and as such you should expect to be questioned about your beliefs and experiences.
I know what I know. I gotten past all of the doubts because God has taught me what his presence is like and how to discern between his Spirit and evil spirits.
What counts is how you know it

It is of some interest to ponder the difference between a proselytizing Christian and a proselytizing atheist. The former can appeal to the derived benefits to his or her prospective converts as a motivating factor, but can the latter?

"I know you're happier in your beliefs and I know you'd be less happy if you accepted my own beliefs, but your happiness is of less importance to me than your proper education on the truth of things."

As unadmirable as such a motivation would be, it is certainly more admirable than "I am jealous of your happiness."

Would any of you atheist types like to briefly express your own motivation for your proselytizing zeal? Pixie?

I have found a lot of ínspirations by leaving the world of any religious beliefs.

It's not that we don't believe you experienced something, it's what you experienced that is at least possible to question. I can see two possibilities, either something supernatural happened according to your beliefs, or you were in what was probably an emotionally charged and profound situation for you, and you were caught up in the moment.
I don't have a problem with what you think happened.
How could you tell between the two?
This isn't a one-time event. I did question it in my early days (years) as a Christian. "Is what I am feeling really the Spirit of God or not?" I eventually learned to sort it out with God's help.

I'm not into emotionally charged hype which sometimes happens in a Christian gathering especially when I don't "feel" the Holy Spirit as being the one who is generating the emotion by manifesting his presence. Sometimes I shut down when the worship seems to be hyped up and quietly worship God on my own and pray.
I take it WIS is me. Please bear in mind that this place is meant for debating these issues and as such you should expect to be questioned about your beliefs and experiences.

What counts is how you know it
I know what this place is but I'm more into discussing than debating. That's why I don't get into the different arguments for the existence of God.

I know that I know because I have experienced the presence of God in many different ways. These experiences have convinced me that God exists. This is the only answer I have for you. I was an atheist and now I'm not because I have experienced God's presence in my life.

Back