Babbling Against Tongues

Fenuay

Really?...

2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God:....

....you don't speak unto God like they did?

Why?

Are you smarter or better than the Corinthians?
Probably more highly educated. But back then we wouldn't be having this discussion. Because they knew what was meant. You clearly do not.

Fenuay

My suggestion is to prove the 2 verses right.

The Google posters disagree with the highlighted portions.

They don't have the Holy Ghost.

1 Cor 14 is written to those that spoke with unknown tongues, not anti-Holy Ghost commentators.

Find someone with the original type of Holy Ghost experience to explain it to you, not the unbeliever.
Well I don't believe anyone who speaks in tongues is doing anything more than gibberish. So if you are telling me they should teach me, no thanks. I'm never going to do something I believe is a mockery of the Holy Spirit. I find tongues to be either gibberish or an opportunity to open yourself to allow an evil Spirit to use you and blaspheme God. So no thanks you do what you want and I'll follow the promptings of the Holy Spirit and pray with meaning and intent.

RiJoRi

If it good enough for the Acts church, it is god enough for me.
Really?
Acts 2:42-47 [ISV] The believers continued to devote themselves to what the apostles were teaching, to fellowship, to the breaking of bread, and to times of prayer. A sense of fear came over everyone, and many wonders and signs were being done by the apostles. All the believers were united and shared everything with one another. They made it their practice to sell their possessions and goods and to distribute the proceeds to anyone who was in need. United in purpose, they went to the Temple every day, ate at each other’s homes, and shared their food with glad and humble hearts. They were praising God and enjoying the good will of all the people. Every day the Lord was adding to their number those who were being saved.

Acts 4:32-35 [ISV] Now all the believers were one in heart and soul, and nobody called any of his possessions his own. Instead, they shared everything they owned. With great power, the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and abundant grace was on them all, since none of them needed anything, because everyone who had land or houses would sell them and bring the money received for the things sold and lay it at the apostles’ feet. Then it was distributed to anyone who needed it.

Just wonderin',
--Rich

Fenuay

Really?
Acts 2:42-47 [ISV] The believers continued to devote themselves to what the apostles were teaching, to fellowship, to the breaking of bread, and to times of prayer. A sense of fear came over everyone, and many wonders and signs were being done by the apostles. All the believers were united and shared everything with one another. They made it their practice to sell their possessions and goods and to distribute the proceeds to anyone who was in need. United in purpose, they went to the Temple every day, ate at each other’s homes, and shared their food with glad and humble hearts. They were praising God and enjoying the good will of all the people. Every day the Lord was adding to their number those who were being saved.

Acts 4:32-35 [ISV] Now all the believers were one in heart and soul, and nobody called any of his possessions his own. Instead, they shared everything they owned. With great power, the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and abundant grace was on them all, since none of them needed anything, because everyone who had land or houses would sell them and bring the money received for the things sold and lay it at the apostles’ feet. Then it was distributed to anyone who needed it.

Just wonderin',
--Rich
Great point Rich. I wonder when the Pentecostals are going to do this!

RiJoRi

Great point Rich. I wonder when the Pentecostals are going to do this!
Let me just point out that I was a member of an indy Pentecostal church, then an AoG one, so I'm not "pente-hostile" as someone puts it. I do, however, object to broad statements such as Truther made.

I know the arguments for both sides, and if we haven't worked it out in 140-odd years,...

--Rich

Fenuay

Let me just point out that I was a member of an indy Pentecostal church, then an AoG one, so I'm not "pente-hostile" as someone puts it. I do, however, object to broad statements such as Truther made.

I know the arguments for both sides, and if we haven't worked it out in 140-odd years,...

--Rich
I'm not Pentecostal. I feel a deeply disturbing and sickening feeling in my soul when I see them babbling. It's very irreverent and blasphemous to me. If it was necessary for us to practice Jesus would have done so to show us the way, as He was baptized to fulfill all righteousness. When my spirit is disturbed by something I listen to that as that is how the Holy Spirit guides me in truth.

Truther

I can speak at will in gibberish as well. It's easy. Much easier than taking the time to learn an actual "tongue".
How dare you call it gibberish....

2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Try not to blaspheme things you don't understand.

Truther

On the contrary.... I speak to God all through the day with my mouth and with my heart. I can speak to him in a foreign tongue or in my own tongue. However just like all human beings I feel more passion when using my mother tongue. Can you show me in the Bible where someone spoke in a "tongue" that was not able to be translated or heard in an existing language?
2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Howbout this.

You don't mock unknown tongues and your prayer recitations from your carnal brain won't be mocked.

Truther

Probably more highly educated. But back then we wouldn't be having this discussion. Because they knew what was meant. You clearly do not.
I see.

You are smarter than the early saints.

You outwit them.

You are even more "academically" spiritual....as you mock their experience.

Harold Camping back from the dead?

Truther

Well I don't believe anyone who speaks in tongues is doing anything more than gibberish. So if you are telling me they should teach me, no thanks. I'm never going to do something I believe is a mockery of the Holy Spirit. I find tongues to be either gibberish or an opportunity to open yourself to allow an evil Spirit to use you and blaspheme God. So no thanks you do what you want and I'll follow the promptings of the Holy Spirit and pray with meaning and intent.
You are blaspheming the Holy Ghost.

You are in a deeper hole than you realize.

You have completely skipped Acts 2:38 and every sin you ever committed is still in you.

Now I see what went wrong.

Truther

Really?

Just wonderin',
--Rich
What is the ISV?

That is a trippy commentary.

Truther

I'm not Pentecostal. I feel a deeply disturbing and sickening feeling in my soul when I see them babbling. It's very irreverent and blasphemous to me. If it was necessary for us to practice Jesus would have done so to show us the way, as He was baptized to fulfill all righteousness. When my spirit is disturbed by something I listen to that as that is how the Holy Spirit guides me in truth.
Another Acts skipper...

Fenuay

How dare you call it gibberish....

Try not to blaspheme things you don't understand.
I dare because you are the one blaspheming something you don't understand. Unknown means unknown to himself and there should be someone to translate as the Bible states!

Fenuay

Howbout this.

You don't mock unknown tongues and your prayer recitations from your carnal brain won't be mocked.
How about you stop misinterpreting the Bible and the Holy gift of tongues (foreign languages unknown to the speaker).

Fenuay

I see.

You are smarter than the early saints.

You outwit them.

You are even more "academically" spiritual....as you mock their experience.

Harold Camping back from the dead?
You are the one distorting the Biblical meaning of tongues.

Fenuay

You are blaspheming the Holy Ghost.

You are in a deeper hole than you realize.

You have completely skipped Acts 2:38 and every sin you ever committed is still in you.

Now I see what went wrong.
You are the one blaspheming the Holy Spirit and the gift of tongues.