Be A Man!

treeplanter

Why doesn't God be a man and explain Himself?

Any and every moral position that I take, I am more than happy to explain!

Why can't God do the same?

Yeah, yeah, sure, I know, you've told me time and again - God isn't subject to the same requirements that we are...

What I want to know, though, is HOW and WHY it isn't cowardly of God to refuse to step up and do what even I, an infinitely weak and imperfect being, am willing to do?

Anyone??

Authentic Nouveau

Yeah, yeah, sure, I know, you've told me time and again - God isn't subject to the same requirements that we are...

What I want to know, though, is HOW and WHY it isn't cowardly of God to refuse to step up and do what even I, an infinitely weak and imperfect being, am willing to do?

Anyone??

What is it about "thou shalt not............" that you don't understand?

docphin5

Anyone??
He has done just that, probably not in the way that you would expect or like but in the way that he chooses. Suspend your disbelief for a moment and consider that the infinite primordial God manifests himself through his Son in us. So when anyone speaks the truth on a topic, or chooses the good, or enacts justice, or loves (agape) he/she is in effect manifesting the spirit of the invisible one. For the record, I am not talking about Elohim but El as "true God and Father", the one (El) who manifests the many (El-ohim).

Psalm 82:6
I said, “You are Elohim,
sons of the El, all of you;
nevertheless, like men you shall die,
and fall like any prince.”

Last edited:

treeplanter

He has done just that, probably not in the way that you would expect or like but in the way that he chooses. Suspend your disbelief for a moment and consider that the infinite primordial God manifests himself through his Son in us. So when anyone speaks the truth on a topic, or chooses the good, or enacts justice, or loves (agape) he/she is in effect manifesting the spirit of the invisible one.
Well, then, I guess my complaint is that He doesn't do so in the way that we, today, want and need

Such a very simple and easy thing to do for a god - and one that would eliminate so much doubt!
One that would achieve, in an instant, that which He claims to want!
Why doesn't He?

docphin5

Well, then, I guess my complaint is that He doesn't do so in the way that we, today, want and need

Such a very simple and easy thing to do for a god - and one that would eliminate so much doubt!
One that would achieve, in an instant, that which He claims to want!
Why doesn't He?
I am not clear what "way" that you would "want and need" him to but I also wish that he would do more sometimes. Maybe he does more than we think or could possibly know and we will not appreciate it all until we have the cognitive ability to process it all, theoretically, in a more powerful, new body. But I think you and I (and countless others) would like him to do more in our lives.

Last edited:

SteveB

He did become a man.
His name is Jesus.
Or did you miss that memo?
As for explaining why he did what he did, from my reading, he went a step further.

He died and rose again from the dead to save you from an eternity of abject misery and agony because of your own sin.

God has not only provided, and explained his moral position, he's documented it for us to have throughout eternity.
For you to make the statement you have here shows me that you either never actually read what he said, or have an exceedingly short attention span.

Anyone??
You should take a closer look at Jesus.

stiggy wiggy

Anyone??

Too bad the Gideons don't still leave Bibles in motel room drawers, or you could check into one and read the answer to your ignorant question yourself.

stiggy wiggy

Anyone??
Too bad the Gideons don't still leave Bibles in motel room drawers, or you could check into one and read the answer to your ignorant question yourself.

e v e

Anyone??
He does but modern christianity will not listen.

treeplanter

OK- answer this - how does an atheist differentiate between the moral and the immoral objectively?
All morality is subjective given that all moral judgements are filtered through one's own personal thoughts and feelings - be it the the thoughts and feelings of man or be it the thoughts and feelings of God

bigthinker

What is it about "thou shalt not............" that you don't understand?
The arbitrary and human centered nature of all of "God's" commandments.
Where is "Thou shalt not own other human beings"?
Where is "Thou shalt not sexually abuse children"?
TWO of the 10 Commandments are about being jealous or wanting someone else's property -including their wife but nothing prohibiting the ownership of other human beings or the sexual abuse of children?
Morally, the bible is a joke; it just doesn't meet the moral standards of most human beings.
The OP is rhetorical, God doesn't explain himself because he can't. The OP is making a point.

bigthinker

He did become a man.
His name is Jesus.
Or did you miss that memo?
As for explaining why he did what he did, from my reading, he went a step further.

He died and rose again from the dead to save you from an eternity of abject misery and agony because of your own sin.

God has not only provided, and explained his moral position, he's documented it for us to have throughout eternity.
For you to make the statement you have here shows me that you either never actually read what he said, or have an exceedingly short attention span.

You should take a closer look at Jesus.
This is all a joke. "Died and rose again from the dead to save you from an eternity of abject misery and agony" -NOT because of anyone's sin but because that is how God designed the system.
Honestly, I don't think anyone ACTUALLY believes this nonsense about dying and rising from the dead actually saving anyone -what a ridiculous idea.
Absolutely ridiculous.

treeplanter

The arbitrary and human centered nature of all of "God's" commandments.
Where is "Thou shalt not own other human beings"?
Where is "Thou shalt not sexually abuse children"?
TWO of the 10 Commandments are about being jealous or wanting someone else's property -including their wife but nothing prohibiting the ownership of other human beings or the sexual abuse of children?
Morally, the bible is a joke; it just doesn't meet the moral standards of most human beings.
The OP is rhetorical, God doesn't explain himself because he can't. The OP is making a point.
And, let's not forget, no less than 4 of the all time, top ten most important moral commandments revolve around God, and God alone, being praised and glorified!

But He loves us...!!

SteveB

This is all a joke. "Died and rose again from the dead to save you from an eternity of abject misery and agony" -NOT because of anyone's sin but because that is how God designed the system.
Honestly, I don't think anyone ACTUALLY believes this nonsense about dying and rising from the dead actually saving anyone -what a ridiculous idea.
Absolutely ridiculous.
Yep.
You
Don't
Think

Pity.
There are hundreds of millions of us the world over, who do in fact believe that God raised Jesus from the dead, so save us from our sin, so we can be right with God, and adopted as his sons and daughters.
And we do so, exactly for the reason that
We
Do
Think.

So, I'm curioous.... if you DON'T think, why would you call yourself "bigthinker"?

Seems a misnomer.
Perhaps you should start calling yourself--- I don't think.

You know what I am reminded of when I see statements like this, and your "name", which you've made here....

Wisdom is in the sight of him who has understanding,​
But the eyes of a fool are on the ends of the earth.

So.... no BT.
It's not a joke.

There are people in the near east, middle east, and the far east, who are in prison, and being murdered, whose lives are stripped from them because they actually believe God, and think it's people like you who are in dire need of Jesus.

When people in those countries hear about you, they pray for you. Begging God to save you from your folly, and blindness.

treeplanter

Yep.
You
Don't
Think
Wrong, Steve
It is YOU who does not think!

Your words:
"Repentance is the word for changing your mind and agreeing with God's Word on all things that he's saying matters"
Post #124
Thread titled: WHO HERE CAN BUILD A FENCE?
We
Do
Think.
Who is this "we"?
Whoever it is, it doesn't include YOU!

Your words:
"Repentance is the word for changing your mind and agreeing with God's Word on all things that he's saying matters"
Post #124
Perhaps you should start calling yourself--- I don't think.
That's rich!

Coming from the guy who said:
Post #124