Belief comes before regeneration, salvation

Thanks for the suggestions. I am quite sure that I have studied scripture and have a fair understanding of the limits of mans autonomy. I typically ask questions as a tool for teaching and or learning how well an individual can articulate what they profess.
?

Thanks for the suggestions. I am quite sure that I have studied scripture and have a fair understanding of the limits of mans autonomy. I typically ask questions as a tool for teaching and or learning how well an individual can articulate what they profess.
?
Got ya. Here is how I do it, God chooses the foolish things to confound the wise. As far as articulating goes I do it this way " if I can't dazzle them with my brilliance I baffle them with my bull".

God’s plan of salvation is so simple, so surprising, that the learned of this world often miss it.

I think it would be best to study this out yourself, then chose. rather than take anyone's word for it. Then you make your choice.

So we can decide for ourselves, and we don't have to take your word for it?
And you're going to be okay with that?
Are you sure?

It's like a road sign with the word Choose and arrows pointing left and right. You think it over then you will have what is known as dual ability.

Back in the day, a man named Augustine wrote a prayer, "command what you will, and grant what you command." Another man named Pelagius responded by throwing a hissy-fit, and balked at the idea of denying "command implies ability". And from thenceforth a controversy was recognized, that continues to this day.

So I guess you need to pick your favourite heretic.

But keep this in mind... God commanded the Israelites to obey the Mosaic Law. We find out in Rom. 3:19-20 that the Law was never meant to be (successfully) obeyed, it was intended to convict us of our sin, which could only come about when we tried and failed. C.S. Lewis describes this very well in his book, "Mere Christianity":

"No man knows how bad he is till he has tried very hard to be good."
[...]
"We never find out the strength of the evil impulse inside us until we try to fight it: and Christ, because He was the only man who never yielded to temptation, is also the only man who knows to the full what temptation means—the only complete realist. Very well, then. The main thing we learn from a serious attempt to practise the Christian virtues is that we fail. If there was any idea that God had set us a sort of exam, and that we might get good marks by deserving them, that has to be wiped out. If there was any idea of a sort of bargain—any idea that we could perform our side of the contract and thus put God in our debts so that it was up to Him, in mere justice, to perform His side—that has to be wiped out."
[...]
I am trying to talk about Faith in the second sense, the higher sense. I said last week that the question of Faith in this sense arises after a man has tried his level best to practise the Christian virtues, and found that he fails, and seen that even if he could he would only be giving back to God what was already God's own. In other words, he discovers his bankruptcy.
[...]
He is misunderstanding what he is and what God is. And he cannot get into the right relation until he has discovered the fact of our bankruptcy.
[...]
Now we cannot, in that sense, discover our failure to keep God's law except by trying our very hardest (and then failing). Unless we really try, whatever we say there will always be at the back of our minds the idea that if we try harder next time we shall succeed in being completely good. Thus, in one sense, the road back to God is a road of moral effort, of trying harder and harder. But in another sense it is not trying that is ever going to bring us home. All this trying leads up to the vital moment at which you turn to God and say, "You must do this. I can't."
-- Lewis, C. S.. Mere Christianity . CrossReach Publications. Kindle Edition.

This means not only having the ability to freely will an action (the first condition), but more pertinently, having the ability to freely refrain from willing the action altogether.

Scriptures related to man's INABILITY include John 6:44, Rom. 8:7-8, 1 Cor. 2:14, Eph. 2:1, Col. 2:13, John 8:34, and Rom. 6:16-22.

It's like, suppose that I had a choice to choose between option A or option B, and in the end, I choose option A. According to dual ability, although I chose option A over B, I could have just as easily refrained from choosing A, willed to choose B, or at the very least, refrained from choosing either, even if all the circumstances were the same. For this reason, if dual ability does exist, then it is equally sufficient to demonstrate and identify that libertarian freedom must exists, as well.

That's the whole point... You're ASSUMING "libertarian freedom" exists.
If there are two options, A & B, and you chose A, do you really NEED to have the "ability" to do B, since you never wanted to choose it in the first place?

Copyright © 2022 Geoffrey D. Robinson

I would be interested in knowing his theology.

Does God Love All or Some?
Comparing Biblical Extensivism and Calvinism’s Exclusivism by Ronnie W. Rogers

Rogers is a Molinistic Arminian.

Grace Faith Free Will - Contrasting Views of Salvation: Calvinism and Arminianism by Robert E. Picirilli

I believe Picirilli is a classical Arminian (maybe Wesleyan?).

Do you have any suggestions from Calvinists?

?

I understand that, and in a CONSENTUAL "teacher-student" relationship, it can be very effective.

Unfortunately, here at CARM everyone considers them the "teacher", and they want to ask the questions, and not give the answers. Sadly, the result is that nothing is accomplished, but people asking questions at each other, none answering them, and people accusing each other of "dodging" the questions.

I understand that, and in a CONSENTUAL "teacher-student" relationship, it can be very effective.

Unfortunately, here at CARM everyone considers them the "teacher", and they want to ask the questions, and not give the answers. Sadly, the result is that nothing is accomplished, but people asking questions at each other, none answering them, and people accusing each other of "dodging" the questions.
Ya…I picked up on that.
lol
And more so here than another forum I am familiar with.

Ezekiel 18:30-32
“Therefore, you Israelites, I will judge each of you according to your own ways, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent! Turn away from all your offenses; then sin will not be your downfall. Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die, people of Israel? For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live!

Notice what comes first

1- Repent , turn away from sin
2- the after you repent you get a new heart/spirit ( calvinism- regeneration, new life)
3- repent then you live, have life- ie new heart, spirit.

John has the same order in in his opening of the gospel and in his purpose statement for writing his gospel.

John 1:12-13
“Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.

Same order as above receive, believe, call on Him then the new birth follows.

John 20:31
“But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Once again the order is consistent with the OT- belief/repentance precedes life.

Romans 10:8-13
But what does it say? “The word is near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart,” that is, the message concerning faith that we proclaim: 9 If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. 11 As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.” 12 For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13 for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Again above we see its hearing the gospel, believing the message , confessing then calling upon the Lord results in salvation.

Acts tells us the same order in 11:18- "So then, God has granted even the Gentiles repentance unto life.” Repent precedes life.

Paul confirms the order in Ephesians below as well. Hearing and believing precedes the Holy Spirit that we were sealed with not before belief.

Ephesians 1:13
“And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit

James and Peter have the same exact order in James 1:18 , 1 Peter 1:23.

See how scripture is consistent when you do not read your doctrine into it but read it objectively, without bias ?

conclusion: as we read in these SALVIFIC passages there is a consistent order.

1- hearing the word, the gospel
2- believing the gospel
3- receiving the gospel
4- calling upon the Lord
5- confessing Jesus is Lord
6- resulting in the new birth, born of God, salvation, eternal life

hope this helps !!!
If you Arminians and free willers actually believe belief comes before regeneration then why do you pray like a Calvinist?
Try being consistent with your beliefs. Practice praying like an Arminian. Bet ya can’t. ?

Just sayin.

If you Arminians and free willers actually believe belief comes before regeneration then why do you pray like a Calvinist?
Try being consistent with your beliefs. Practice praying like an Arminian. Bet ya can’t. ?

Just sayin.
Did that address anything he stated

Why don't you practice what you preach and evangelize as a Calvinist
touting total inability, unconditional election and absolute predestination

Bet you can't

Did that address anything he stated

Why don't you practice what you preach and evangelize as a Calvinist
touting total inability, unconditional election and absolute predestination

Bet you can't

Anti-Calvinists hate the Calvinism so much that they make themselves enemies of Christ.

You want us to "poison the well" by presenting Calvinism when we present the gospel, to turn them away from Calvinism. But that won't turn them away from Calvinism, that would turn them away from CHRISTIANITY. Is that what you really want?

If Calvinists simply present the gospel (which we do), without adding the meat of Calvinism, then they can become Christians. At that point we would present the truth of Calvinism to them, and they may reject it (I guess you hope), but at least they would still be Christians at that point.

Anti-Calvinists hate the Calvinism so much that they make themselves enemies of Christ.

Christ and Calvinism are not the same thing

You want us to "poison the well" by presenting Calvinism when we present the gospel, to turn them away from Calvinism. But that won't turn them away from Calvinism, that would turn them away from CHRISTIANITY. Is that what you really want?

Interesting. Are you saying preaching Calvinism would turn people away Christianity?

That is what it appears like

Neither is Arminianism.
The gospel doesn't include the specifics of soteriology.

Arminians and Calvinists proclaim the same gospel.
I'm sorry that you're ignorant of that.
That is Calvinists acting like Arminians when preaching the gospel

but i am glad you affirm Calvinism is not the gospel

Interesting. Are you saying preaching Calvinism would turn people away Christianity?

1Cor. 1:18 For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

2Cor. 2:15 For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing, 16 to one a fragrance from death to death, to the other a fragrance from life to life. Who is sufficient for these things?

1Cor. 1:18 For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

2Cor. 2:15 For we are the aroma of Christ to God among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing, 16 to one a fragrance from death to death, to the other a fragrance from life to life. Who is sufficient for these things?
The cross belongs in the gospel

Calvinism not so much

but your comments do not really appear to address the following

Nope.
We're acting like Calvinists, and like Christ, when preaching the gospel.
Please cease MISREPRESENTING us.

Arminianism isn't the gospel either.
You are VERY confused.
He said we act like Arminians when we preach. Can you imagine listening to them praying for lost loved ones?

”Father, I have a precious sister who is lost. I pray that you move her in a way that saves her, but doesn’t violate her free will. I know You are a good God who does not desire any perish, so please save her, but in a way she freely exercises her free will.”

I truly believe they pray like Calvinists when they pray. That prayer, which is an (sort of) exaggeration, does not bring glory to Him, nor would be a sufficient prayer.

The cross belongs in the gospel

Calvinism not so much

You're wrong.

but your comments do not really appear to address the following

You never answer MY questions, why should I answer yours?
Double standards much?

If you can't quote me saying something, then do NO suggest I believe it.
Double standards much?

He said we act like Arminians when we preach. Can you imagine listening to them praying for lost loved ones?

”Father, I have a precious sister who is lost. I pray that you move her in a way that saves her, but doesn’t violate her free will. I know You are a good God who does not desire any perish, so please save her, but in a way she freely exercises her free will.”

"Yes, Lord... Try to save her, but don't ensure it, but instead leave it into her sinful hands to decide."

I truly believe they pray like Calvinists when they pray.

100% they do.

You're wrong.

then why won't you preach it to the unconverted
You never answer MY questions, why should I answer yours?
Double standards much?
That dies not sound like truth

If you can't quote me saying something, then do NO suggest I believe it.
Double standards much?
your words

You want us to "poison the well" by presenting Calvinism when we present the gospel, to turn them away from Calvinism

seem to indicate that

Back